Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do if you won €130 million?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I reckon I'd give 20 million to close family and friends, leave aside ten million for charitable and needy causes for the rest of my life, then divide 100 million equally between myself and my best mate so we could do fun stuff with.

With my share, I'd buy a few properties - nothing ostentatious, and probably spend my days writing, farming, and bringing on racehorses. Bliss.

You split E100m equally with a mate, you would get E50m and he would get E20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I’d stay quiet and give nothing to no one.

FÜCK ALL YE CÜNTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

i'd rent a modest villa in Lanzarote for about 6 weeks just to chill and get my head round it

then I'd invite all the bank managers over to see what they could do for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

I'd spend most of it on ferraris, booze and loose women,
    I'd probably squander the rest... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I'd fulfill a life long dream of opening a gypsy themed amusement park and make it into Ireland's biggest tourist attraction.

Live 'Grabbing session'
    Attend a mock Gypsy wedding / Funeral / Christening
    Rent-a-Gyp - for the up close and personal experience

If we had any issues with planning that prevented the opening I'd just buy Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

I'd fulfill a life long dream of opening a gypsy themed amusement park and make it into Ireland's biggest tourist attraction.

Live 'Grabbing session'
    Attend a mock Gypsy wedding / Funeral / Christening
    Rent-a-Gyp - for the up close and personal experience

If we had any issues with planning that prevented the opening I'd just buy Longford.

Isn't Longford a Gypsy themed amusement park already!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I must be getting sensible.

I'd shell out a couple of million each to 10 or so good mates, big trust funds for all the kids, take care of my family. I'd keep about 20m for myself, buy a few houses around the world, one on each continent for the craic and then just spend my time travelling between them doing something approaching fúck all as the mood took me.

No coke, no hookers.

What has become of me, I don't deserve to win it:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've posted this plan before, but sure...

- tell no one. Ring Lotto HQ to confirm the ticket but wait a week or two to collect it so that the attention dies down

- take 2 weeks annual leave and collect it quietly. Check into a nice hotel somewhere while figuring out what you want to do. Get multiple experienced advisors

- return to work. After a week hand in your notice saying that you got another job. No one will question this. Work out your notice and leave. You'll never hear from 99% of colleagues anyway but best to avoid potential begging

- leave and enjoy the rest of your life. As I probably wouldn't stay in Ireland (at least not most of the year), no issues with neighbours or local gossip (I'd be moving to a better area anyway where money isn't uncommon).
    Very few people (like maybe 3) would know what I really won. Most would be told I won a smaller amount to account for the new stuff that would appear like cars

- I'd look after my sister, and the little fella would be setup with a trust fund for life and of course I'd buy some nice stuff and travel.. But 80/90 mil would never be touched and I'd live off the interest for the rest of my life and that of my son and grandkids etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

What would I do with €150 million? Become a billionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I would invest in Rathkeale Rovers. Sounds like a lovely football club and I'd like to help them become the next Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But 80/90 mil would never be touched and I'd live off the interest for the rest of my life and that of my son and grandkids etc.

Imagine dying and leaving 90 million unspent in a bank account. What a bloody waste.

You split E100m equally with a mate, you would get E50m and he would get E20m.
    How do you work that one out, taxation?

You just add their name to the back of the Lottery slip with the share amount, that way they don't pay tax. There was a rep from the National LOttery on the radio a couple of years back, saying that this kind of advice is actually given to Lottery winners who might want to share their winnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

daithi7 wrote: »
    Isn't Longford a Gypsy themed amusement park already!?!

FYP
    its not amusing

if you bought a house outright for say even a few million,

128million divided by fifty years without interest is 256,000 per year to "Live on"

ya'd kill yourself trying to spend that,

thought I read at the time your one from Limerick was earning 32K per week interest on her €115m

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

128million divided by fifty years without interest is 256,000 per year to "Live on"

thought I read at the time your one from Limerick was earning 32K per week interest on her €115m
    I think she won her prize a few years before the recession hit, so yeah, I'd believe that.

She'd be only earning a small fraction of that today, if she hasn't got the money locked in at that rate. Having said that, why would anyone leave that kind of money in the bank today? She'd get a far better yield from dividing it between stocks and bonds, or alternative investments. Cash is a great way of wasting an income return, and not without its own risks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

128 divided by 50 years is over 2.5 mill a year

Somebody failed at maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

I would hire a really smart consultant to tell me how I can work(m) myself into the higher society so that I can make even more money from government contracts, like building an even bigger Children Hospital.

Mwahahaha ;)

A joke obviously, since I do not play Lotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think she won her prize a few years before the recession hit, so yeah, I'd believe that.

She'd be only earning a small fraction of that today, if she hasn't got the money locked in at that rate. Having said that, why would anyone leave that kind of money in the bank today? She'd get a far better yield from dividing it between stocks and bonds, or alternative investments. Cash is a great way of wasting an income return, and not without its own risks.

So what would a good investment be ?
    What sort of interest rates would you get on a large cash injection in the bank ?
    Surely they could do some deal with you ?

I would retire, instantly, I don't think I would even call in to work, just wouldn't show up one day and that would be that.
    Get a nice house, nothing too fancy, just a decent view and garden in it.
    I would treat myself on the car front tho, probably a top BMW or Range Rover.
    I would need to keep busy so I would set myself up with some projects, maybe go back to Uni to study something out of interest and not economic need - like Astronomy and Physics.

Oh yes, I would treat myself to Bang + Olufsen BeoLab 90 speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Buy a pillow for the National Children's Hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I would retire, instantly, I don't think I would even call in to work, just wouldn't show up one day and that would be that.
    Get a nice house, nothing too fancy, just a decent view and garden in it.
    I would treat myself on the car front tho, probably a top BMW or Range Rover.
    I would need to keep busy so I would set myself up with some projects, maybe go back to Uni to study something out of interest and not economic need - like Astronomy and Physics.

Oh yes, I would treat myself to Bang + Olufsen BeoLab 90 speakers.

about 35k worth of speakers. wow
    how good could they possibly be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

People in here really don't look at deposit interest rates if they think they will be living off it for ever. Amounts that high probably have negative rates at present.

buy a nice house, on its own island in the Caribbean.

I would eventually tell my family.

With 130 million in the bank, I'd have them in every room in my mansion. I'd even hook a set up to the toilet bowl to broadcast my plopping sounds around the gardens so the workers could enjoy how rich my faeces sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Put some contracts out on people who've pissed me off. Then hire some lawyers to prevent me going to prison, buy off a few politicians to help.

Or, maybe buy an island somewhere with no extradition treaties, a few bodyguards and then put the contracts out, and take off. Live off what's left knowing I got even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    People in here really don't look at deposit interest rates if they think they will be living off it for ever. Amounts that high probably have negative rates at present.
    Yes I was talking to a financial chap recently and he said trying to deposit 100 million nowadays without being charged for the privilege is a struggle.

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    128 divided by 50 years is over 2.5 mill a year

Somebody failed at maths

ya'd kill yourself even quicker then

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

When people talk about avoiding hangers on begging, if a coworker or someone you somewhat knew won that much cash, would you chance your arm and ask for a few grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

I'd offer financial incentives to traveller families to get their children to stay in school and complete their leaving certificates. Better grades get more money.

El_Bee wrote: »
    When people talk about avoiding hangers on begging, if a coworker or someone you somewhat knew won that much cash, would you chance your arm and ask for a few grand?

I'd ask if they needed any very expensive sexual favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

well, ever the optimist,so in answer to the question posed in the thread title...

I'll tell you all tomorrow:D

I realise the question says "if" and not "when", but sure I'm hoping that my answer will be a little more realistic. So there'll be no rocket cars or gold houses.

If its won in Ireland tonight, and I stop posting, try not to jump to any conclusions.

Damnit, I'm too excited.....

I'm going to share it equally among the immediate family. AS me and Mrs N will have a double share between us, we'll take care of spreading the joy further afield. Get deposit money and a bit more for nephews and nieces. Get the grannies sorted with butlers (not the chocolates) and medical.

Maybe start a business manufacturing something, and give unemployed young people a chance to develop a skill. Wouldn't be for profit, so could make it pay decent enough to encourage them in.

like a previous poster said, find some genuine people who could use 10k and surprise them. Do that every week for a year.

Big donation to Temple Street.

Feck, its all gone!!
    Hopefully its all been useful.

So what would a good investment be ?
    What sort of interest rates would you get on a large cash injection in the bank ?
    Surely they could do some deal with you ?
    Yeah, you'd definitely get a slightly higher interest rate than the headline rate, but don't forget about the upper limits of the bank guarantee.

There's probably a much lower risk in spreading your investment between sovereign bond investments (US Treasury, Germany, Ireland) and equities. I don't know - I've never managed that kind of money - but the last place I'd be taking it is to a retail bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Yeah, you'd definitely get a slightly higher interest rate than the headline rate, but don't forget about the upper limits of the bank guarantee.

There's probably a much lower risk in spreading your investment between sovereign bond investments (US Treasury, Germany, Ireland) and equities. I don't know - I've never managed that kind of money - but the last place I'd be taking it is to a retail bank.

There's a special bank for rich people anyway isn't there? I imagine the people down at lotto HQ have an info pack or counseling session telling you who to go, a list of financial advisors, accountants etc.

El_Bee wrote: »
    There's a special bank for rich people anyway isn't there? I imagine the people down at lotto HQ have an info pack or counseling session telling you who to go, a list of financial advisors, accountants etc.
    Yeah there's private banking -- don't know much about that.

In any case, I can't imagine that anyone who wins the lottery just deposits it in her local AIB Deposit Account -- unless they're really an eejit altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Try not to take inspiration from a previous lotto winner (Michael Carroll)

The Lotto winner revealed how "going broke is the best thing that happened to me" and said he's "never been happier" since returning to work. He is currently lifting coal bags in Scotland for a living.

Then again it was only £10m he won, so undertandable how it blew it all in his 10 fun packed years.
    He gave away 4 million to family and friends. The rest he blew. He ended up in court and prison a few times because of drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Big money not won. Two Irish tickets got €293K for 5 + 1. Very unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd whisper "woo" in an empty room. Then put the lot into me bank account, and tell nobody.
    Might treat herself to a pizza night out or something that'd be it.
    Miserable as fooooook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Keep €30m to share with friends & family.

The other €100m towards a combination of:-

Medical Research - cancer, MS, Motor Neurons etc -all of the really horrible life limiting conditions

Cover wages of anyone with a dying child so they could spend as much time with child as possible without worry about income, mortgage etc

Accommodation near hospices for family members/accommodation for families near Temple St/Crumlin.

Stuff like that....Just made the world a better place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Keep €30m to share with friends & family.

The other €100m towards a combination of:-

Medical Research - cancer, MS, Motor Neurons etc -all of the really horrible life limiting conditions

Cover wages of anyone with a dying child so they could spend as much time with child as possible without worry about income, mortgage etc

Accommodation near hospices for family members/accommodation for families near Temple St/Crumlin.

Stuff like that....Just made the world a better place

It's not a lot of money when you have a plan such as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

mickdw wrote: »
    It's not a lot of money when you have a plan such as that.

I know but I'd like to try :-)

I heard they were 83k

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Pay off my mams mortgage.

Set up a large trust fund for future children and grand children.

Buy my father a house.

Buy a holiday home in spain or italy and the usa.

Go on a few all inclusive holidays

And set up a few chain cafes around ireland with fresh food and cake.

Private box in Nou Camp and a monkey butler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Buy a second home in New England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

JoeyJJ wrote: »

I don't know what you earn, but I'd be willing to guess that even if you're fabulously well paid, when you add up every cent you earn in your entire life it won't be anything approaching 130m. And by definition you'll live on that for the rest of your life!

200k a year (5 times the average industrial wage) for 50 years comes to 10m.

Interest rates don't matter a fúck when you have that kind of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I've a laundry list of things:
    1. Buy a house
    2. Buy a 2nd car
    3. Buy a house for my parents
    4. Buy a house for my sis
    5. Go ona **** off stupid holiday
    6. Buy a house for the in-laws
    7. Save the rest and do volunteering work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interest rates don't matter a fúck when you have that kind of money.
    Pretty much. You'd be moving into spread out investment portfolios and the like at that level.

I dunno what I'd do TBH. It's a fcuk ton of money. It's beyond what most people think of money and way beyond the leave your job, buy a house and have a nice holiday level. I already have a gaff, but chances are I'd be not living there for long. 150 million or whatever it ends up being attracts too much attention for suburbia. It would take some thought and planning and creating space to work out what's next. Personal security would become a concern too.

I'd probably hotel my way around Europe looking for places where I'd buy a bit of property. A huge feck off chateau in wine country somewhere sounds great, but it's more than a bit isolated. And boring. I'd probably buy a nice apartment in a couple of places, France, Spain, I hate the cold so would fly south for the winter like a migratory bird :D and summer in Ireland. A decent stretch of a trout stream would be in the mix. I doubt I'd live outside of Europe, visit yeah, but not live.

I'd probably go to some Swiss clinic where they replace my organs and flush my bad blood and the like. Wherever Mick Jagger and the likes go to have their DNA massaged. I'd have to be careful regarding romantic entanglements. They could get expensive mad quickly. No private planes or helicopters for me. Fly commercial, they're much better maintained and regulated. Set up a few charitable trusts and make a difference there. Scholarship programmes would be very much in the mix. Scientific research funding another.

I'd defo amass and curate a large collection of interesting stuff, museum level antiquities, art(the less popular stuff), historical objects, documents, examples of important technology, cars, aircraft and the like. I'd be a regular fixture at auctions. Do a Chester Beatty on it. Leave it in my will to the Irish people.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No one has mentioned a compound yet, I would build a massive compound surrounded by high walls and that security team that Wibbs mentioned.

Then I would sit there all alone waiting for the madness to descend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's an estimated €165,000,000 on Friday. That's a huge amount of money.

If I was lucky enough to win it I'd look after a few family members and close friends. I'd repay their mortgages and loans, and tell them "I'll make sure you never have to worry about money again". That's quite powerful.

I'm told a deal can be done on C.A.T. with Revenue in those circumstances. Putting 50 names and proportions on the winning ticket doesn't work I'm told.

Your chances of keeping under the radar at that level are close to zero I'd say. It's inevitable you'd move house and your spending would go up. You'd also become very security conscious.

I reckon I'd buy another property or two abroad. If I didn't have to spend another cold and wet winter here again that'd be great.

Investing isn't that important at that level of wealth. Protecting your wealth becomes more important than taking risk and looking for income or capital appreciation.

I'd retire, & live somewhere really nice. Quiet, safe, but with easy access to an airport, sports, and people.

I'd have an ultra modern home, 7 car garage, gym, and a pool with a retractable roof. I'd have a couple of nice cars (Ford Fiesta ST, a big estate car, a Jeep, a fully restored and modernised MkII RS2000 and a BMW motorbike). It'd have separate guest accomodation, and I'd just send people invites and boarding passes.

I'd also have a flat in the London area (I know where already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

The thing with such an enormous amount of money is that you have all the time in the world.
    You could have any material item you ever desired, do anything you wanted but for me that would grow old quickly.
    It is a serious mind job to be landed with so much cash and having all that time to fill.

To fill that time, considering I'm 38, I would immediately declare myself a 'professional' golfer and set a target of becoming a member of the European Senior tour when I turned 50. It's said you need 10k hours of dedicated practice to master anything and I'd fill all the time in the world with playing golf with that goal in mind. I'd have 12 years to prepare. It might not happen but it would keep me occupied with a specific goal in mind. I wouldn't need the stress that a journeyman professional would have with all that wonga.

I'd have everything I'd need; coaches, trainers etc. Money would be no object obviously. It would keep the mind active and the body fit too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement