Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof Jacket

Options
  • 21-09-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

On the lookout for a waterproof jacket. Got soaked the other day. Have had a Vaude Skyfly II which I was very happy with. Very good waterproofness and decent breathability. Only thing is it is fairly loose fitting and doesn't give much cover at the back.

Been looking at a few options. Castello Pave is cheap on Wiggle I think or Evans Cycles but apparently has poor breathability. Anyone able to confirm this? Realistic budget is under the 100 mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bought a half price Madison Stellar waterproof last year from cycle superstore find it very good

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Bought the Tourmalet rain jacket from Galibier a few weeks ag0 - 66e

https://galibier.cc/product/tourmalet/

Very good quality for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

niallo32 wrote: »

Whats the fit like? What size did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looks decent, is it a tight fit? The 2xl looks to be an xl in a normal jacket.

Whats the fit like? What size did you go for?

XL Fits me perfect. Am a XXL in a Castelli Gabba and an XL in a Velo Revolution winter jacket.

• Advertisement

XL Fits me perfect. Am a XXL in a Castelli Gabba and an XL in a Velo Revolution winter jacket.

What size weight are you if you don't mind me asking.

What size weight are you if you don't mind me asking.

6'3 & 90kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I second the Tourmalet, I have one and it's as good, if not better than a sportful Stelvio that costs €300

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Second that, for the price it's a good one. Ordered a L, found it a bit tight, exchanged for an XL which fits alot better.

6'3 & 90kg

2 inch shorter and roughly the same, I think i might be going for the XL.

Got any good tips on waterproof trousers?

Currently using the old fellas golf trousers and they're a bit baggy by they're gore tex so better than nothing

• Advertisement

Just pulled the trigger on this. Went with a Medium. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

More money from my account to Galibier, went for the red one in XL.

Hopefully this does the job in days where I don't need to Mistral or Verge Defend as both have limitations unless it's proper cold.

I'm going to try out the waterproof jacket from aldi this weekend. See how it goes before upgrading to the Galibier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dahat wrote: »
    Hopefully this does the job in days where I don't need to Mistral or Verge Defend as both have limitations unless it's proper cold.
    I have the Mistral Lite, which I rate (have Mistral too), if you don't mind wet arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have the Galibier jacket too.  Some observations:
    1. tight fit (not a bad thing)
    2. fairly short at the front so I think it is designed more to be worn with cycling shorts rather than commuting gear (civvies).
    3. the waterproofness washed out fairly quickly.  Water no longer beads on the surface.  Might try the Nikwax which did a great job on my Goretex jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

youtheman wrote:
    I have the Galibier jacket too. Some observations: 1. tight fit (not a bad thing) 2. fairly short at the front so I think it is designed more to be worn with cycling shorts rather than commuting gear (civvies). 3. the waterproofness washed out fairly quickly. Water no longer beads on the surface. Might try the Nikwax which did a great job on my Goretex jacket.

When mine arrived there was some documentation enclosed about returning it to them if it was no longer waterproof and that they'd retreat it, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

rushfan wrote: »
    When mine arrived there was some documentation enclosed about returning it to them if it was no longer waterproof and that they'd retreat it, so to speak.

They did that for me, both my Tourmalet and Mistral jackets, no problem at all.

I did them myself the following year with Graingers performance repel and that worked very well too. I don't wash either jacket too much, just a wipe down with a damp cloth if they are moderately dirty and have got great longevity out of the DWR coatings

Jacket arrived today. Shipping was free (no tracking) and yet it cost them £6.80 to ship. Think thats very decent of them.

First impressions are its an incredible bargain. V comfortable, love the cuffs, clever velco design to tidy up rain flap at rear, very stylish.

Will find out if its breathable in the morning. Will be trying their gear in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    More money from my account to Galibier, went for the red one in XL.

Jacket came and xl is a bare fit in a civvy t-shirt so I'm concerned but going to wait till I'm in proper gear to get a true idea of fit.

Xxl would be a better fit given the time of year I'll be wearing it if I'm being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snottybridge

Wore it for the first time this morning, got the size large, I'm 6'7"on a good day,slim build, it's short enough on the front when standing but OK when on the bike, had to have the tail at the back out otherwise it was too short, seems like a good quality jacket. Hard to judge the sizing on it. Warm jacket when layered underneath.

Advertisement