Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute Teacher Pay

Options
  • 21-09-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

I am an NQT and I recently starting casual subbing in a school and will likely be there for the year. I am looking for some clarity on who it is that pays my wages. I understand the DES pays for substitution hours but a colleague was recently paid an amount from an account with the school name on it. This has me worried from a tax prospective as I have allocated tax credits to the employer that I think is going to be paying my wages (Tax reg num: "0081300S Post-Primary teachers").

Is it the school directly who pays for the likes of yard supervision, detention hours etc?

Also, what is the situation on payslips? Will a regular payslip be provided to me? If so, from whom? the DES or the school? (if the do infact pay some of my wages.)

Sorry if this is infantile but I am just looking for some clarity. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi,

I am an NQT and I recently starting casual subbing in a school and will likely be there for the year. I am looking for some clarity on who it is that pays my wages. I understand the DES pays for substitution hours but a colleague was recently paid an amount from an account with the school name on it. This has me worried from a tax prospective as I have allocated tax credits to the employer that I think is going to be paying my wages (Tax reg num: "0081300S Post-Primary teachers").

Ask the principal/deputy are you dept paid. If they're not around ask the secretary, sometimes they put in your hours!
    Is it the school directly who pays for the likes of yard supervision, detention hours etc?

Dept wouldn't pay for that.
    Also, what is the situation on payslips? Will a regular payslip be provided to me? If so, from whom? the DES or the school? (if the do infact pay some of my wages.)
    Sorry if this is infantile but I am just looking for some clarity. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If it's the dept who pays then you'll get a dept payslip...although I'm not sure if it's the same if it's an ETB school. If it's casual day to day subbing you'll only get a payslip for the days/week you work.

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sometimes schools pay subs from their own funds for substitution, sometimes the education centres pay the school and the school pays the sub themselves. Also if they've done special centre superintendent or reader/scribe (hired by the school) , the SEC pays the school and school pays the person they've employed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 woovington

Hi,
    Secondary school qualified PE sub needed in my school for 20 days in Dublin. Does anyone know someone who could take on this position. Or anyone have any advice on how to find someone would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I'm a casual sub also since the start of the school term and still haven't got paid properly. I got 90 euro last night and I'm getting at least 18 hours a week. Who is at fault for this? Don't want to complain to management as I'm only new.

I checked with payroll at the beginning and they said subbing hours were showing up on their system but they couldn't tell me how many. Haven't received a payslip for any of their either.

Going to be another long two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

is there any forum on this for subbing appointments? i have done over 22 hrs the last two weeks casual subbing. i didnt think this was possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

If it's the dept who pays then you'll get a dept payslip...although I'm not sure if it's the same if it's an ETB school. If it's casual day to day subbing you'll only get a payslip for the days/week you work.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the reply. That's makes sense alright. I've discovered I'm being paid by the school for non certified hours but I don't think there's a payslip for this. Not sure how I'm going to tell if I'm being paid correctly or not. I'll be paid for the DES for certified hours.

I assume the school have to pay the same hourly rate as the DES? I am entitled to the qualified rate which is €44.84 as the DES Payroll told me.

Bit if a nightmare getting up and running pay-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    is there any forum on this for subbing appointments? i have done over 22 hrs the last two weeks casual subbing. i didnt think this was possible?

Be aware that you don't get paid for anything over 22 hours in voluntary secondary school but it could be possible within an ETB. Keep track of your classes. It is also possible to be paid by the school directly but rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I'm a casual sub also since the start of the school term and still haven't got paid properly. I got 90 euro last night and I'm getting at least 18 hours a week. Who is at fault for this? Don't want to complain to management as I'm only new.

I checked with payroll at the beginning and they said subbing hours were showing up on their system but they couldn't tell me how many. Haven't received a payslip for any of their either.

Going to be another long two weeks.

Are you paying emergency tax? It also depends when the subbing is inputted into the system. The first pay is always slow but once the system gets you up and running there should be no more problems.

Advertisement