Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco no longer serving freshly sliced cold meats at deli counter?

Options
  • 21-09-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I heard today that Tesco had ceased to sell "sliced to order" cold cooked meats at their deli counter in Claremorris. Allegedly, the customer was told that this change would apply in all their stores and that in future, deli cold meats would only be available in prepacked form (which has existed side by side for some time but at a higher price per kilo).

I'd like to emphasise that this is something I heard secondhand so I can't stand over its veracity.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I hope not! One less reason for me to shop there if it happens and goto Dunnes or Supervalu.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

I haven't heard this but it's a definite trend

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I hope not! One less reason for me to shop there if it happens and goto Dunnes or Supervalu.

I just edited my op to emphasise that I just heard this secondhand and can't stand over its veracity. It would be interesting to know if anyone else had heard similar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yes it's true.
    The meat counter in my local Tesco has ceased to exist; the deli worker told me weeks ago it was happening and the same's happened in Tesco, The Square and Tesco in Naas.
    I'll miss it only for the sliced corned beef. The corned beef in the packets tastes horrible.

I imagine sales of deli meat has declined in recent years; have you seen the surge in new meat products, such as Fire & Smoke and Tesco's own version of Fire & Smoke, Homebird, etc etc.
    People seem to buy these more often, especially when they're on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yes it's true.
    The meat counter in my local Tesco has ceased to exist; the deli worker told me weeks ago it was happening and the same's happened in Tesco, The Square and Tesco in Naas.
    I'll miss it only for the sliced corned beef. The corned beef in the packets tastes horrible.

I imagine sales of deli meat has declined in recent years; have you seen the surge in new meat products, such as Fire & Smoke and Tesco's own version of Fire & Smoke, Homebird, etc etc.

I agree on the corned beef. Good ham eg Brady's is never the same from a pack either. The lady at the Tesco checkout this evening said to me "we'll just have to go to Supervalu for it in future". That's what I'll be doing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Lissavane wrote: »
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Yes it's true.

I agree on the corned beef. Good ham eg Brady's is never the same from a pack either. The lady at the Tesco checkout this evening said to me "we'll just have to go to Supervalu for it in future". That's what I'll be doing too.

Or Dunnes. They do Horgan's corned beef at the deli which is lovely.

Advertisement