Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice hotel for wife's 40th?

Options
  • 22-09-2018 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Looking at booking a hotel around Cork city for the wife's 40th next month. Would like somewere nice, with a spa for herself and a nice pool for me!Nice rooms and a good restaurant. Hayfield Manor is probably outside my budget unfortunately. Had a quick look on Google and Maryborough House Hotel and Montenotte Hotel both look nice. Just looking for some local advice on either of those 2 or any other recommendations. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You definitely wouldn't go as far as Cork County, no? Castlemartyr would be nice - Is secluded too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The Kingsley is a lovely spot. Outdoor pool!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

callaway92 wrote: »
    You definitely wouldn't go as far as Cork County, no? Castlemartyr would be nice - Is secluded too

It's lovely.... But she brought me there for my 40th!! Yeh, I'd consider Cork county as we'll be dropping the kids with mother in law in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Marlborough is pretty lovely since the renovation and you’re only a short stroll into the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dudara wrote: »
    The Marlborough is pretty lovely since the renovation and you’re only a short stroll into the city too.

Where's the Marlborough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

Fota resort is fab. I haven't stayed there but i've been to the spa and pool a few times and it is amazing.

ali_d wrote: »
    Fota resort is fab. I haven't stayed there but i've been to the spa and pool a few times and it is amazing.

Yes, we've been there, it's lovely.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Where's the Marlborough?

Sorry - totally asleep this morning. I meant the Montenotte. Apologies for the total brain fart.

dudara wrote: »
    Sorry - totally asleep this morning. I meant the Montenotte. Apologies for the total brain fart.

Would Montenotte be nicer than the Maryborough? I'd intend to just chill for 2 days so closeness to city centre is not important. Just looking for a nice, relaxing break away... Free from kids!!

I’ve nrver been hugely impressed by the Maryborough. Food has never been great, plus I think the rooms are worn around the edges.

The Kingsley has great rooms, super comfy, but the hotel general areas are a bit sparse or bleak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The imperial is the best located hotel and has a spa so might be worth a look .

Ok, I'll check out Imperial and Montenotte a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

toby2111 wrote: »
    Ok, I'll check out Imperial and Montenotte a bit more.

Imperial is central, but do you need that. It’ll be busy, noisy (depending on room) because of it and the rooms can be tired if you don’t one that is renovated.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

The Kingsley is a lovely spot. Outdoor pool!

Are they still housing travelers?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Head up to the lyart in Kilkenny. It's a nice hotel, close to clonmel with plenty to do in the city.

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Head up to the lyart in Kilkenny. It's a nice hotel, close to clonmel with plenty to do in the city.

Was at a 2 day wedding there in August, another lovely spot!

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Are they still housing travelers?

That true?

Imperial is central, but do you need that. It’ll be busy, noisy (depending on room) because of it and the rooms can be tired if you don’t one that is renovated.

Yes, don't really need a central hotel. Just heard Cork city & surrounding area has nice hotels. Busy and noisy not ideal but I'm looking at midweek of Halloween so hotels will be busier with families etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

That true?

They were there. Made women feel very uneasy at the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

That true?

The Kingsley had travellers for a few days as a storm damaged their caravans.
    They did what they usually do and got kicked out fast. This was about 8/9 months ago.

The montenotte is the best of the bunch, that's where I'd stay. Check out their dinner and movie nights, their meant to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Hayfield Manor ?

Could take dinner there too

limnam wrote: »
    Hayfield Manor ?

Could take dinner there too
    I looked it up, it's outside my budget unfortunately. Looks like it's between the Montenotte or the Maryborough... Maryborough just replied to my email enquiry with a good deal for 2bb,1 dinner and two 50 minute spa treatments in an executive room overlooking the gardens. I'll wait and see what Montenotte come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Yes, don't really need a central hotel. Just heard Cork city & surrounding area has nice hotels. Busy and noisy not ideal but I'm looking at midweek of Halloween so hotels will be busier with families etc.

Monart near enniscorthy is fabulous, 5 star, very reasonable compared to other 5 stars in Ireland and....

They have a NO CHILD policy. Check it out. We’ve been there twice and it’s really chilled out.

MrDerp wrote: »
    Monart near enniscorthy is fabulous, 5 star, very reasonable compared to other 5 stars in Ireland and....

They have a NO CHILD policy. Check it out. We’ve been there twice and it’s really chilled out.

We've also stayed there a few years ago, it's excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Inchydoney?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

I’d recommend Fota if you are not too pushed about being in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The spa in Marybourough is lovely.

Miaireland wrote: »
    The spa in Marybourough is lovely.

Yeh, it looks lovely and reviews are very good. Hotel looks nice but a poster here said rooms are a little bit dated.

So the Montenotte got back, poor offer in comparison to Maryborough. Maryborough offered 2bb, 1 dinner in an executive room for €20 less than Montenotte offer of 2bb in a standard room.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeh, it looks lovely and reviews are very good. Hotel looks nice but a poster here said rooms are a little bit dated.

Food is poor there from a recent bar food experience.

Advertisement