Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice hotel for wife's 40th?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Food is poor there from a recent bar food experience.

Tripadvisor reviews for the restaurant are good. I'm sure there's nice restaurants in Douglas also. I'll keep looking around but they've offered the best deal so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

I was in Montenotte in the past year and in general thought it was lovely. Only 2 downsides were 1. The gorgeous bedroom had only a shower, no bath 2. We ate one night in the bar and while the food was fine, the atmosphere wasn't great, lights too bright, very bustly, not cosy at all.
    I have been to the Maryborough several times and have always enjoyed it. The spa is fantastic and the staff always very friendly and helpful but I agree with the poster saying the rooms could do with some attention. And... I should add the last time I was there was at least 5 years ago.
    If you do end up near Cork City I highly recommend a lunch or dinner at Cafe Paradiso, one of my favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The Ashley Hotel is a grand spot.

Just had a look online there...... Em, I think I'll pass! Don't think herself would be too impressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

toby2111 wrote: »
    Just had a look online there...... Em, I think I'll pass! Don't think herself would be too impressed!!

Tell her it's what a 5 star was like 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

River Lee hotel is pretty central and daycent.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

River Lee hotel is pretty central and daycent.

+1. We had a pleasant stay there recently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I go to Fota every so often with the wife. We love it there - feels like you're in the middle of the countryside despite being only 10 minutes out of town. The chicken wings in the golf clubhouse are top notch too.

Roar wrote: »
    I go to Fota every so often with the wife. We love it there - feels like you're in the middle of the countryside despite being only 10 minutes out of town. The chicken wings in the golf clubhouse are top notch too.
    Yes, it's lovely, stayed there a few years ago.
    I managed to haggle the Montenotte Hotel a bit. Their package is now €30 dearer than the Maryborough, which is not much .... So will I go with them or is Maryborough a better option for a nice, quiet, relaxing break with decent food & nice rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

The Maryborough never impresses me, personally. It feels small and although the bar area is quite nice, it's not particularly lavish or interesting for a hotel that rates itself highly.

It's a bit rough around the edges too, there always seems to be a feel of the aftermath of a wedding or prep for a conference going on.

And for a place in Cork it's kind of cut off from walking to anywhere nearby.

If go for the Montenottee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

fascinates me how that hotel is still going - the poor people that stay there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Inchydoney is a gorgeous spa hotel! That’s where I’d be heading, we often take a spin down for lunch and it’s fab. Location is obviously amazing and clonakilty has loads of good pubs and a few nice spots for dinner as well if ye wanted to venture out one night. I’ve heard good things about the spa but I havnt been and they have a pool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fota is probably better if you want to feel like you are escaping and getting away from it all.

Fota is probably better if you want to feel like you are escaping and getting away from it all.
    Yes,been there already,lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 The Dench

Don't know your dates, but pigsback.com have a 2bb 1 dinner at the Montenotte with a few extra's thrown in - box of chocs in bedroom, glass of prosecco etc.

€ 325 all in (€ 30 extra if staying on a Sat night)

Sorry, I'm lousy at links but if you google Montenotte Hotel deals, it'll come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I quite like the River Lee (for events/meals, living in Cork I don't stay in Cork hotels much! :) ). Nice location, very central, the river terrace is nice. I don't know if it has any spa facilities.

The Montenotte is very good too. Meal, small cinema too. Great balcony and gardens overlooking the city. If you're looking in that area there's also the Ambassador, though both of these two are up on a hill so get your walking shoes on (or taxis)!

Advertisement