If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short & Ultra short throw HD projectors

Options
  • 22-09-2018 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I have been planning on setting up a TV in a small spare room for use with an AppleTV and xBox.

Outside forces have conspired against me and I have to delay it all a while but it could mean I'll have more money to spend. 

I was thinking a HD projector might be an option?

I was looking at short throw & ultra short throw projectors online. The room is small and I'll be sitting about 7 to 8 feet from where the screen would be. Is that too short a distance for even a short throw?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

I have been planning on setting up a TV in a small spare room for use with an AppleTV and xBox.

Outside forces have conspired against me and I have to delay it all a while but it could mean I'll have more money to spend. 

I was thinking a HD projector might be an option?

I was looking at short throw & ultra short throw projectors online. The room is small and I'll be sitting about 7 to 8 feet from where the screen would be. Is that too short a distance for even a short throw?
    Hey LazySamaritan.

Thanks for the post.

There are not too many short throw or Ultra short throw projects in our ranges unfortunately.

Starting point for a short throw projector would be the Optoma GT1080E priced at £599. This is an in store only collection and can not be shipped. (Can be placed up to 1 meter from the wall).
    https://www.richersoun.../optoma-gt1080e.html

Next up is the Optoma GT1080DARBEE coming in at £779 but again is an instore only collection. (Can be placed up to 1 meter from the wall).
    https://www.richersoun...p-203005-319065.aspx

For an ultra short throw you would be starting at the Optoma GT5000+ priced at £1099.00 (can be placed up to 30cm from the wall).
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202968-400293.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Are you still online?

I wasn't expecting a response at a weekend

What I need to know first is whether a projector is even an option in the room that I described above

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

No rest for the wicked :)

You could use a projector within the space that you have.
    In our demo room our seating position is around 3 meters. The projector is mounted on the ceiling just behind our sofa  firing onto a 92" screen. We just use normal projectors at this distance.

You have around 2.4 meters from your seating position which might require a short throw projector to give a large enough screen size.
    Is there any room behind your seating position or are the seats against the wall?

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

In our demo room our seating position is around 3 meters. The projector is mounted on the ceiling just behind our sofa  firing onto a 92" screen. We just use normal projectors at this distance.

You have around 2.4 meters from your seating position which might require a short throw projector to give a large enough screen size.
    Is there any room behind your seating position or are the seats against the wall?
    The room is L shaped and the distance between the two walls (where screen and seat would be) is about 9 feet. 

The room is currently used for storage but will be hopefully empty soon.

• Advertisement

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

The room is L shaped and the distance between the two walls (where screen and seat would be) is about 9 feet. 

Hey LazySamaritan.

9 feet is still possible going to need a short throw projector, depending on how large you want to project the image.

I don't suppose you know someone who has a standard projector that they could bring around to yours and you could try it in the room?

Doing some calculations using the following website, you would get away with a standard projector but your max screen size would be 80 inches.:
    https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators

If you scroll down to Projector calculator section you just pick a manufacturer and then the model and it gives you the measurements of distance vs screen size.

Have a check over the link below for our projectors and if any catch your eye you can check them using the projectorscreen.com link.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/c-18-projectors.aspx#pgnum=&sort=

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hey LazySamaritan.

9 feet is still possible going to need a short throw projector, depending on how large you want to project the image.

I don't suppose you know someone who has a standard projector that they could bring around to yours and you could try it in the room?

Doing some calculations using the following website, you would get away with a standard projector but your max screen size would be 80 inches.:

If you scroll down to Projector calculator section you just pick a manufacturer and then the model and it gives you the measurements of distance vs screen size.

Have a check over the link below for our projectors and if any catch your eye you can check them using the projectorscreen.com link.
    Hi

Is 80 inch way too big for an area of that size?

I thought 40 to 50 inches would even be too much.

There is also a large window about 7 foot wide that would be on the left side of the seat and screen position. I can get a black out blind but I was told there is projectors that work in daylight.

Also, it doesn't have to be short throw if you think a different type would suit just as well.

I don't know anyone with a projector.

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hi

Hi LazySamaritan.

I wouldn't think 80" would be too large. Just checking you know that the 80" is diagonally from corner to corner when measure screens.

As I mentioned above our demo room is not much larger than the room you are going to use and we are using a 92" screen.

If you are only looking a 40" - 50" image then a television would be the better option.

Projector screens tend to only start around 72"

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hi

Hi LazySamaritan.

I wouldn't think 80" would be too large. Just checking you know that the 80" is diagonally from corner to corner when measure screens.

As I mentioned above our demo room is not much larger than the room you are going to use and we are using a 92" screen.

If you are only looking a 40" - 50" image then a television would be the better option.

Thank you.

I know the measurement is diagonal but when I imagine looking at an 80 inch screen I see myself turning into Admiral Ackbar. :P

I think I'll have to have a look at large screen TVs is town and maybe come up to your store and see it working.

With the room I'm describing do you think I'm best with a short throw projector or something bigger?

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hi

Hi LazySamaritan.

Thank you.

I know the measurement is diagonal but when I imagine looking at an 80 inch screen I see myself turning into Admiral Ackbar. :P

I think I'll have to have a look at large screen TVs is town and maybe come up to your store and see it working.

With the room I'm describing do you think I'm best with a short throw projector or something bigger?
    Hey LazySamaritan.

It really comes down to the size of the image you want projected. 

If you are after larger than 80" then you would have to go for a short throw one.

If you have a free day please do pop it in us here at the store and we can show you the setup we are running with and you can get a feel for the larger image.

We also have a 75" television on display in our store which would let you see how that would fit into your room.

• Advertisement

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hi

Hi LazySamaritan.

Thank you.

Hey LazySamaritan.

If you are after larger than 80" then you would have to go for a short throw one.

If you have a free day please do pop it in us here at the store and we can show you the setup we are running with and you can get a feel for the larger image.

We also have a 75" television on display in our store which would let you see how that would fit into your room.
    It is going to be a couple of weeks before I can do anything with the room. I clear it out, paint it and get the proper measurements and distance I'll be sitting at. Hopefully after that I'll be able to drive up to Belfast to have a look at your set up in store.

Thank you for al the information and the time.

Cheers

Are you still online?

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hey LazySamaritan.

Hi

Hi LazySamaritan.

Thank you.

Hey LazySamaritan.

It is going to be a couple of weeks before I can do anything with the room. I clear it out, paint it and get the proper measurements and distance I'll be sitting at. Hopefully after that I'll be able to drive up to Belfast to have a look at your set up in store.

Thank you for al the information and the time.

Cheers
    No problem at all LazySamaritan.

When ever you are ready for a road trip to see us let me know and I'll pencil you in for some time in our demo room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

When ever you are ready for a road trip to see us let me know and I'll pencil you in for some time in our demo room.

Just wondering about your opinion in regards to projector screen vs. projector paint?

I'm back. 

Just wondering about your opinion in regards to projector screen vs. projector paint?
    Hey Spon Farmer.

The Paint is not something we would stock.
    Problem I hear with the paint is that if your wall is not perfect then it can cause issue with the image. You need to make sure its applied even and the right amount of coats but this depends on if its a plastered wall or papered wall as they absorb different amounts of the paint meaning 

I don't think I have seen a projector setup yet using the paint unfortunately.

For me it would a screen every time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.