Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir netwrok unlock confusion

Options
  • 22-09-2018 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

i just got this email here on how to unlock the phone, it says that i have to put in the sim i want to use and then it will be locked to that network? am i reading that right? i want it unlocked to any network 
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]The above IMEI is remotely unlocked using the apple software, in order for the phone to be unlocked completely it should be synced with the iTunes, please advisecustomer to follow the below steps
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]1. Place the NEW SIM card of the new operator you wish to use into the iPhone.

[font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]2. The iPhone will then 'Brick' (a security feature) and will require a connection to iTunes to perform a 'Customer Restore'. Please connect the iPhone with iTunes.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]3. iTunes will detect the IMEI of the device and search for updates (Note: This is normal and is performed every time the iPhone is connected to iTunes).[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]4. iTunes will detect the new SIM card and that the 'Unlock Key' is available. It will then deploy the Unlock Key to the device.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]5. From here (still connected to iTunes), the iPhone will perform the standard un-brick process which includes:[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]· Check for latest Software update[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]· Perform a customer restore (SYNC)[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]During this process, your iPhone will detect the SIM of a new network operator and iTunes will deploy the necessary 'Carrier Bundle' to the phone. This contains the correct settings for the new network operator, which also includes the operators' 'Network Lock'.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]'Network Lock' means that iPhone will then become locked to the new network.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Once the syncing is complete, iPhone is now ready for use with another network operator.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]We would like to advise that if you need to unlock your iPhone again, you will need to contact the network operator the phone is now locked to. You can find this information by going to your iPhone Settings > General > About and beside 'Carrier' the network operator will be displayed.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Regards,       [/font][/font][/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

simply86 wrote: »
    i just got this email here on how to unlock the phone, it says that i have to put in the sim i want to use and then it will be locked to that network? am i reading that right? i want it unlocked to any network 

OP this is mis information from Eir what is described above will not happen to your phone when unlocked via a iTunes. When it’s unlocked it’s unlocked to all networks. You can test this yourself when unlocked.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 45 simply86

Marty Bird wrote: »

OP this is mis information from Eir what is described above will not happen to your phone when unlocked via a iTunes. When it’s unlocked it’s unlocked to all networks. You can test this yourself when unlocked.
    thanks for the reply, ive had phones unlocked before but this is the first time ive seen or heard that the new sim will lock the phone again, there is nothing online at all on the subject but why would eir say this when it not true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

thanks for the reply, ive had phones unlocked before but this is the first time ive seen or heard that the new sim will lock the phone again, there is nothing online at all on the subject but why would eir say this when it not true?

It’s been coverd a good few times on boards. On the the old meteor thread. Have a read from yesterday.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057913186/1/#post108148436

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 45 simply86

Marty Bird wrote: »

It’s been coverd a good few times on boards. On the the old meteor thread. Have a read from yesterday.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057913186/1/#post108148436
    much appreciated dude saved a proper headache cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

[font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]The above IMEI is remotely unlocked using the apple software, in order for the phone to be unlocked completely it should be synced with the iTunes, please advisecustomer to follow the below steps[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]1. Place the NEW SIM card of the new operator you wish to use into the iPhone.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]2. The iPhone will then 'Brick' (a security feature) and will require a connection to iTunes to perform a 'Customer Restore'. Please connect the iPhone with iTunes.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]3. iTunes will detect the IMEI of the device and search for updates (Note: This is normal and is performed every time the iPhone is connected to iTunes).[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]4. iTunes will detect the new SIM card and that the 'Unlock Key' is available. It will then deploy the Unlock Key to the device.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]5. From here (still connected to iTunes), the iPhone will perform the standard un-brick process which includes:[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]· Check for latest Software update[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]· Perform a customer restore (SYNC)[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]During this process, your iPhone will detect the SIM of a new network operator and iTunes will deploy the necessary 'Carrier Bundle' to the phone. This contains the correct settings for the new network operator, which also includes the operators' 'Network Lock'.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]'Network Lock' means that iPhone will then become locked to the new network.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Once the syncing is complete, iPhone is now ready for use with another network operator.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]We would like to advise that if you need to unlock your iPhone again, you will need to contact the network operator the phone is now locked to. You can find this information by going to your iPhone Settings > General > About and beside 'Carrier' the network operator will be displayed.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont]Regards,       [/font]
    Hi simply86, 

This information above is correct. 

I'm afraid some iPhones have been known to lock to other networks after being unlocked, however, this is not the case for every single iPhone.  If an iPhone is locked to another network, you need to contact that network to verify that the iPhone is now locked to their network.  Unfortunately, we can’t predict which iPhones will lock. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
Advertisement