Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for inspections engineer

Options
  • 22-09-2018 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

I ,d like to find the cost for a professional to inspect the building of a self build extension 300sq ft ,2 storey with a slate roof.
    This will be built using outer wall of brick ,with inner wall of 9 inch block .
    I understand he has to inspect the plans , the foundation, dpc,vapour barrier ,walls etc at various stages of construction.
    i know an architect would charge about 2k for the plans and there,s also the cost
    of making a planning application.
    It would be built using standard materials to comply with all building regulations and rules in regard to insulation ,fire safety etc
    I have read many posts on this forum, i can,t find any info re how much does it cost for the required inspection of a self build extension
    by a professional .I understand he might want to visit the site at various times
    as the construction goes on.
    I built an extension before but at that time, all you needed was
    planning permission and the plans were sent in by an architect to the council planning office.
    .He charged 1100 euros .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

riclad wrote: »
    I ,d like to find the cost for a professional to inspect the building of a self build extension 300sq ft ,2 storey with a slate roof.
    This will be built using outer wall of brick ,with inner wall of 9 inch block .
    I understand he has to inspect the plans , the foundation, dpc,vapour barrier ,walls etc at various stages of construction.
    i know an architect would charge about 2k for the plans and there,s also the cost
    of making a planning application.
    It would be built using standard materials to comply with all building regulations and rules in regard to insulation ,fire safety etc
    I have read many posts on this forum, i can,t find any info re how much does it cost for the required inspection of a self build extension
    by a professional .I understand he might want to visit the site at various times
    as the construction goes on.
    I built an extension before but at that time, all you needed was
    planning permission and the plans were sent in by an architect to the council planning office.
    .He charged 1100 euros .

It’s not just inspection.
    It’s design, inspection and certification.

With your previous extension, as you mention, you should still have got the works inspected and certified, planning is just illustrated drawings for the council to see what’s going on. They are not working drawings.

Prices I see are normally about €2k - €2.5k plus VAT for a straight forward extension. That’s just the structural design, inspection and certs of compliance on building and planning regulations. It doesn’t include any form of planning application. It’s usually the engineers that would take the planning drawings and mark them up for the structure in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The previous extension was built before regulations came in re inspection and certification of extensions.i understand i have to get a professional to draw up plans . It was inspected by someone from the council i think.
    i presume you mean he would issue a cert to show the building is compliant with current building regs, fire safety, rules re insulation,ventilation etc and it is built as shown on the plans that were sent to planning office.

I understand i have to have plans drawn up by a professional and send these to the planning dept ,eg i,ll be applying for planning permission in the usual way.
    i presume i can give him my own rough plans and he will make up proper plans that will be compliant with building regulations and standards for fire safety.
    This extension will just consist of 2 rooms with one internal door in each
    room, and one external door at ground level.
    eg one ground floor, and one upper floor of identical size.
    The only complex thing is ,the new roof will connect on to the existing
    old roof .So i,ll leave it up to him to design that part of the building.
    I want to be careful that the new roof is not higher than
    my neighbours roof .
    And i,ll leave a 1ft gap on one side to allow space between my
    neighbours side wall and the new building.
    my neighbours side wall is 25ft high.
    Its 8 ft wide.
    Its a straight flat solid wall, it has no windows on my side .

I understand one professional person may draw up the plans, i might pay some one else to carry out inspections and issue a cert and do detailed drawings of the building.
    I would budget 2k for drawing up the plans, applying for planning permission.
    Then 2.5k for fees to pay engineer to design,inspect and issue a cert
    for the extension.
    So theres documents ,plans etc sent to the council,
    then theres also detailed plans or drawings that show in detail how the building is built,
    they would show the dimensions of all walls and the floors and the roof and the spaces for windows doors ,air vents etc
    The first building was inspected and certified , there was no rule at that time, re having an engineer to inspect the building at various stages of the building process ,
    at least for basic extensions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Engineer in cork site inspection is 200-300€ Ex vat - That would include write up & liaising with builder.
    (Certs / design etc would be separate fee)

Suggest you allow a bit more for detailed design/construction drawings. (This should incl scope of works for builder to price)

i Should make it clear this is a self build extension.
    I,d like to pay one person to design the building, make detailed construction drawings for it.Also inspect the building as it goes along, and give a cert for it .
    I expect i,ll need to employ an architect to do the plans as part of the process of obtaining planning permission.
    i do not wish to employ more than 2 people .
    I,ll have my own plans drawn up and a list of materials that i need ,before i even speak to an engineer .
    but if its legally required i,ll ask the engineer to do full construction drawings,
    I,ll also ask him for advice as to the layout of the new roof and how it connects to the old roof.
    The roof will be 10 ft wide.
    i,LL have to do more detailed measurements but i expect the roof to be 10ft wide ,from the front to the back of the roof will be 20 ft approx.
    Since this is a self build i,ll just need to pay the architect, and the engineer .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

riclad wrote: »
    1. i do not wish to employ more than 2 people .

2. but if its legally required i,ll ask the engineer to do full construction drawings,

3. Since this is a self build i,ll just need to pay the architect, and the engineer .

1. Can you list the 3rd party? The builder?
    2. YOU are legally required to comply with building & planning & H&S regs
    3. Part A by eng, part B-L by arch

• Advertisement

as Far as i know a self build extension is legal, so i apply for planning permission, i pay an architect to draw up the plans.
    i pay an engineer to draw up detailed construction drawings ,design the building
    provide cert, whatever documents are needed ,do the inspection ,
    eg this extension will be built to comply with all building regs, and regulations in regard to documents ,cert etc
    Am i missing something ?
    I understand the engineer will need to do various checks and inspections
    at certain stages of the build and provide a cert.
    i thought i could put my name down as the builder .
    I intend to follow all regs regarding documents and building ,eg insulation,fire safety etc

Advertisement