Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Box Office fight night: September 22 AJ vs. AP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

walshb wrote: »
    Funny. I was thinking about that. Kind of thinking that he was more dangerous and offensively lethal in that Whyte fight than fights after. That Whyte fight was brilliant..

I’d possibly give Whyte a better chance now...

More dangerous and lethal maybe, but less defense or cuteness I think.
    He knows he can KO white, without taking risks, this time it will be easy for him I think.
    I agree the first fight was good. But do you really want no.2? While there are other fights out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

pac_man wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that fight, always thought Povetkin was wrong for Joshua but he's not as quick as he once was. Joshua still has that stiffness about him. I say that yet he was good at ducking under the left hook and taking a step back and making Povetkin lunge in hitting air. Thought the scorecards were very generous to Joshua. Despite his flaws, Joshua is the number one heavyweight at the moment.

This basically. He fights whoever is in front of him and has found the win in some tough and awkward fights. I hope he fixes up them flaws, he could be as dominant as Wlad if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

More dangerous and lethal maybe, but less defense or cuteness I think.
    He knows he can KO white, without taking risks, this time it will be easy for him I think.
    I agree the first fight was good. But do you really want no.2? While there are other fights out there?

No. Fook number 2...

I want him to fight the winner of Fury/Wilder..

Well, if we are hanging the term elite off one man, Wlad, then yes only AJ and Fury are elite...

I am removing Fury due to him doing nothing the past three years, as well as being a drugs cheat and looking very average his last two fights..

So, we down to one?

Surely you wouldn't have had povetkin there if you're removing drug cheats.
    Was it coke Fury was positive for or more than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Didn't he pop for something proper after he "ate" uncastrated wild boar or something?

• Advertisement

I said “as well as...”

Fury done nothing the past three years and looked very average in his last two fights, and is a drugs cheat..

I wouldn’t put him as elite right now...

He can get elite if he proves it going forward...

Wilder and AJ are the top dogs..

Fury has a couple indiscretions with failed tests. Like AP..

Nandrolone and Cocaine for Fury.

Think AJ would fairly comfortably get through Dillian, and I like Dillian a lot.

Hope to see AJ fight the winner of Wilder / Fury and Dillian fight the loser to see if he is ready for a rematch.

Didn't he pop for something proper after he "ate" uncastrated wild boar or something?

I honestly can't remember. I know he tested positive for coke but the results were so long coming I lost interest in the farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Well, if we are hanging the term elite off one man, Wlad, then yes only AJ and Fury are elite...

I am removing Fury due to him doing nothing the past three years, as well as being a drugs cheat and looking very average his last two fights..

So, we down to one?

Dude, i'm just saying Povetkin is not elite and you've not produced any argument as to why you believe he is. He's 39, and most likely off the enhancers, and never achieved that much on them anyways.

Was Fury done for the old glow in the dark? I thought it was just beak they done him for?

• Advertisement

Dude, i'm just saying Povetkin is not elite and you've not produced any argument as to why you believe he is. He's 39, and most likely off the enhancers, and never achieved that much on them anyways.

Eh, I did give an argument and reasons. You didn’t accept them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Eh, I did give an argument and reasons. You didn’t accept them...

No, you went off on a tangent about other boxers. His best win is Takam. He might be elite in your mind, but he doesn't have the record to back it up.

G'luck.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Was Fury done for the old glow in the dark? I thought it was just beak they done him for?

Jesus, at 30 years of age and a fairly wild youth, I havnt a clue what that means!!

Jesus, at 30 years of age and a fairly wild youth, I havnt a clue what that means!!

Glow in the dark would be steroids and beak is a cockney word for cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Just did a little googling. Done for nandrolone around the time of the Hammer fight. Pulled a clen tainted beef one and said it was wild boar. Hughie was caught for the same. UKAD spent a tonne of their budget on trying to nail them but couldn't and if pushed further they'd risk bankrupting themselves if the Fury's won which was likely the case with these things. So I think they gave them a bull**** backdated a ban and basically everyone forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Tbf getting popped for nandrolone the same time as your cousin and then claiming it was because ye sat down for a family meal and ate uncastrated wild boar sounds and indeed smells like bullsh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭bassy

the gypsy king rawwwwwwwwwwwwww lets be having you aj and wilder......................................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

pac_man wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that fight, always thought Povetkin was wrong for Joshua but he's not as quick as he once was. Joshua still has that stiffness about him. I say that yet he was good at ducking under the left hook and taking a step back and making Povetkin lunge in hitting air. Thought the scorecards were very generous to Joshua. Despite his flaws, Joshua is the number one heavyweight at the moment.

Was a bit disappointed by AJ even if it felt inevitable that he would find the mark sooner or later. He really isn't that fluid a fighter but he's making it work with what he has.

Good performance by Povetkin. Was outboxing AJ in some rounds. But he needed to expend too much energy to get his shots off and AJ was happy to soak up the pressure and wait for him to tire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

AJ is stiff as a board. Fury makes him look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

I thought it was a pretty uninspiring performance from Joshua, until the finish, which was absolutely top-notch.

I marked it 3-3 after the sixth and all the rounds were pretty close, but Joshua seemed quite tentative early on and in particular was getting caught with the right hand over his jab quite often. Strangely, he adapted to this by keeping his left much lower, as if by holding it high he was blocking the view of the right coming and it actually worked!

I was wondering why he wasn't letting his right hand go and once he did it effectively ended the fight. I've no doubt he's fighting to orders in terms of not going all gung-ho, but I thought he overdid that side of it and could have let his hands go a little more.

The finish though was a thing of beauty and serves as a reminder that even if he is not doing that well, he really can win a fight from nowhere, cos he just has that ruthless finishing instinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As has been said Joshua makes the most of what he has and he finds away to adapt to his opponent, no doubt McCracken is a large part of that, but you need to have the ability to execute his instructions. Of course it also helps that Joshua has a decent chin and punch.
    Fury seems to have neither, which is why, if they ever fight, i forsee Fury being ahead for the first few rounds, before Joshua eventually finds the target and knocks Fury out. Also, unlike against Klitscko and Povetkin, Joshua will be more gung-ho in his approach because he knows Fury does not have the power to hurt him.

As for Wilder, i honestly think if he faces Joshua he will be beaten inside three rounds. At the top level his clumsy style and punching power won't be enough to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As has been said Joshua makes the most of what he has and he finds away to adapt to his opponent, no doubt McCracken is a large part of that, but you need to have the ability to execute his instructions. Of course it also helps that Joshua has a decent chin and punch.
    Fury seems to have neither, which is why, if they ever fight, i forsee Fury being ahead for the first few rounds, before Joshua eventually finds the target and knocks Fury out. Also, unlike against Klitscko and Povetkin, Joshua will be more gung-ho in his approach because he knows Fury does not have the power to hurt him.

As for Wilder, i honestly think if he faces Joshua he will be beaten inside three rounds. At the top level his clumsy style and punching power won't be enough to get the win.

fury has neither,

so when was he knocked out?

and he has a 70% KO %, he hardly has feather fists

Cyrus wrote: »
    fury has neither,

so when was he knocked out?

and he has a 70% KO %, he hardly has feather fists

He never said Fury was knocked out.....

Fury's KO percentage doesn't mean he's a huge hitter. It's just a number.

Many were stoppages due to the opponent being pants, and them taking too much.

You really need to dig a little deeper when assessing this....

In other words look at the fights, the opponents and the punches and the effects etc. Not just a percentage figure.

Then look at AJ and what he has. His punches, power, effects of his shots, his chin etc....you can then make a valid and argued opinion..

Mine: Fury gets knocked out fairly cleanly by AJ.

Fury isn't a big hitter. The minute Povetkin was cracked by Joshua on Saturday he was out of the game really, he was goosed - and Povetkin is a hard chap. Fury doesn't have that sort of concussive, one-shot power that Joshua has, nothing close. As walsh said above, most of his KOs came against journeymen or people way smaller than him.

That having been said, Fury managed to bamboozle and nullify Klitschko and easily outpoint him and I can see him doing the exact same to Joshua to be honest; he's awkward enough and slick enough. If Fury comes in and fights like he did against Wlad I think he'll do the business in an ugly enough points decision.

He never said Fury was knocked out.....

Fury's KO percentage doesn't mean he's a huge hitter. It's just a number.

Many were stoppages due to the opponent being pants, and them taking too much.

You really need to dig a little deeper when assessing this....

In other words look at the fights, the opponents and the punches and the effects etc. Not just a percentage figure.

Then look at AJ and what he has. His punches, power, effects of his shots, his chin etc....you can then make a valid and argued opinion..

Mine: Fury gets knocked out fairly cleanly by AJ.

he said fury doesnt have a decent chin, whats the evidence for that,

most of joshuas knockouts are against bums aswell,

you need to dig a little deeper.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fury isn't a big hitter. The minute Povetkin was cracked by Joshua on Saturday he was out of the game really, he was goosed - and Povetkin is a hard chap. Fury doesn't have that sort of concussive, one-shot power that Joshua has, nothing close. As walsh said above, most of his KOs came against journeymen or people way smaller than him.

That having been said, Fury managed to bamboozle and nullify Klitschko and easily outpoint him and I can see him doing the exact same to Joshua to be honest; he's awkward enough and slick enough. If Fury comes in and fights like he did against Wlad I think he'll do the business in an ugly enough points decision.

er david price had Povetkin on queer street as well, he just didnt have the finishing ability to put him away.

i never said Fury had the one shot power that Joshua has, but he isnt feather fisted either, to think joshua can just walk through him because he wont fear his power is naive.

he said fury doesnt have a decent chin, whats the evidence for that,

most of joshuas knockouts are against bums aswell,

you need to dig a little deeper.

I don't need to dig deeper. I am asking that you look into Fury's career and fights etc to maybe see where nacho is coming from...

nacho thinks Fury is not a big hitter. I agree. Many do as well; his KO percentage doesn't disprove this, hence my asking that you look into that figure to find out more.

The chin? Thar area is a little more difficult to assess. But again, looking at how Fury has been dropped and wobbled by lesser hitters than AJ, who is big, heavy handed and very ruthless in his delivery, well, to think that AJ may be able to crack him and JKO him is far from off.....I'd say it's very likely.

I don't need to dig deeper. I am asking that you look into Fury's career and fights etc to maybe see where nacho is coming from...

nacho thinks Fury is not a big hitter. I agree. Many do as well; his KO percentage doesn't disprove this, hence my asking that you look into that figure to find out more.

The chin? Thar area is a little more difficult to assess. But again, looking at how Fury has been dropped and wobbled by lesser hitters than AJ, who is big, heavy handed and very ruthless in his delivery, well, to think that AJ may be able to crack him and JKO him is far from off.....I'd say it's very likely.

Joshua is susceptible to taking a shot, and doesnt seem like he has an iron chin, Whyte had him going, Klitcschko had him going and povetkin hurt him in the first round.

Klitcschko couldnt lay a glove on Fury and i wouldnt bet on the other two being able to do it either.

Joshua might be a big hitter, but he would have to find fury.

And i dont believe there is any basis for arguing one has a better chin than the other.

Also Fury is an 18st heavyweight, he may not be a knockout artist in the Joshua guise but to understimate his power is foolish.

Joshua is susceptible to taking a shot, and doesnt seem like he has an iron chin, Whyte had him going, Klitcschko had him going and povetkin hurt him in the first round.

Klitcschko couldnt lay a glove on Fury and i wouldnt bet on the other two being able to do it either.

Joshua might be a big hitter, but he would have to find fury.

And i dont believe there is any basis for arguing one has a better chin than the other.

Also Fury is an 18st heavyweight, he may not be a knockout artist in the Joshua guise but to understimate his power is foolish.

Well, I don't think Fury will generate the power and torque needed to KO or really hurt AJ.

The two shots that dropped and hurt AJ were very clean and hard shots....Whyte nailed him flush as he came in. AJ took it well, albeit wobbled.

Wlad caught him hard and clean and dropped him.

Wlad barely laid a glove on Fury. We know this. And Fury barely laid a glove on Wlad....both were sh1t...

AJ will not fight near as cautions as Wlad did. That is a definite....

I am not underestimating Fury's power. Nor will AJ. It is what it is. Nothing near special, at least from my viewing.

Been over this a 1000 times......

Get back to me when Fury is knocked clean out against Wilder......

• Advertisement

Get back to me when Fury is knocked clean out against Wilder......

ill be back to you alright :pac:

Advertisement