Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stir fry sauce that smells less than soy?

Options
  • 22-09-2018 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

My housemate makes stir fry every night, and the strong smell that lingers, often until the next day despite opening windows and using the fan during cooking, is usually not an issue, but it's a kitchen-come-dining-and-living room, and the only place ventilated enough for us to dry our clothes, so they sometimes end up stinking of stir fry.

Is there another sauce he could use that would smell less? He is eating the stir frys to lose weight, so does not want to use anything that would have more calories than soy.

Cabbage also used in the stir fry and could be a factor in the smell, but we are uncertain. No garlic is used at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you think it is the soy you could ask him to add it after it is cooked. I imagine it would smell a lot less if not actively boiling away in a pan.

The fan might need a new filter. I discovered a hole in the flexible venting that was on top of the cupboards above the fan which led to outside. It was letting smell and fatty air out, I only copped it as jars I stored there were sticky with fat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cook with the garlic and ginger. Soy and other flavourings can be added after cooking, as the above poster said.

I was watching a YouTube video of Chinese Street food and that's how they did it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The extractor fan in my (rented) apartment has never worked. I hate how everything gets sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Try making a home made honey and sweet chili sauce, toss the stir fry in it when it's nearly finished cooking or the same with the soy. cabbage has a strong smell though so there's no way to avoid that really other than not overcooking.

also double check the extractor doesn't need a filter change.

Advertisement