Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running an Ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs

• 22-09-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this!

I recently got a new desktop for the upstairs office, but the wireless connection is not great and I wanted to use it as a media server. The router is downstairs directly below the room.
    I was thinking of running a long Ethernet cable down through the floor to connect directly to the router. Is there anything I should consider before doing this? Is it easy to run a cable down the wall rather than straight through the ceiling?

Comments

You could route it through the wall. Or use this?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinnerboy0

chewed wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this!

I recently got a new desktop for the upstairs office, but the wireless connection is not great and I wanted to use it as a media server. The router is downstairs directly below the room.
    I was thinking of running a long Ethernet cable down through the floor to connect directly to the router. Is there anything I should consider before doing this? Is it easy to run a cable down the wall rather than straight through the ceiling?

Get yourself a pair of powerline adapters. They use the electrical cabling in your walls. Plug one directly into electrical socket at router and the other directly into the socket at computer and connect to the router and computer. You can get pass through ones if sockets are at a premium.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537631116&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tp+link+powerline+adaptor&dpPl=1&dpID=31Ccrwe3HdL&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try this route first before I take out the drill! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

An ethernet cable will give you much better throughput than any homeplugs, particularly important as you wish to use the PC as a media server.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

I would definitely go directly with CAT6 cables without power adapters... Just make sure that what ever run you are doing is shorter then 100m and you are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

skippy123! wrote: »
    I would definitely go directly with CAT6 cables without power adapters... Just make sure that what ever run you are doing is shorter then 100m and you are fine.

Exactly this. Homeplugs are completely hit or miss. Electrical cabling was not designed or installed for carrying data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭chewed

skippy123! wrote: »

are CAT6 cables all the same (as in the quality)? I was looking at this site - http://www.cables.ie/computer/network-cables/patch-cables.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

chewed wrote: »
    are CAT6 cables all the same (as in the quality)? I was looking at this site - http://www.cables.ie/computer/network-cables/patch-cables.html

Sstp is shielded which is pointless unless you are connecting to an earthed patch panel in a cabinet or earthed device either end. Just go with utp.

If it were me I'd just buy a box of cat6 and start running cables to all your rooms ;-)

Advertisement