Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500E Note

• 22-09-2018 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 x 500e notes. Will I have any problem lodging them into a bank? Also can they be lodged via the machines or you have to go to a teller?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can lodge them no problem. Not sure if the machines have been calibrated for them, I'd go to a teller.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

€500 notes have been discontinued, and were rare enough to begin with (unless you are a member of an organised crime gang), so I'd be doubtful if lodgement machines are generally calibrated to handle them. Shouldn't be a problem lodging them to your own account at a counter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Quackster wrote: »
    €500 notes have been discontinued, and were rare enough to begin with (unless you are a member of an organised crime gang), so I'd be doubtful if lodgement machines are generally calibrated to handle them. Shouldn't be a problem lodging them to your own account at a counter though.

Definitely not a part of a gang haha but I understand they are rare. I have been in Ireland 15 years and first time I have had them. Got paid for an iPhone XS Max I had. Bought two but only needed one so sold the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

dan786 wrote: »
    Got paid for an iPhone XS Max I had.

Sounds slightly worrying. You're not part of a gang, but who else goes around with €500 notes to pay for phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I've recently lodged them through BOI lodgement machine.

I'd say manned stations are rarer than €500 notes :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭Allinall

Quackster wrote: »

Not think they’ve been “discontinued”.

Gambling clubs and bookies amongst others use them regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Allinall wrote: »

Depends on the definition of "discontinued".

They stopped printing them in 2014 but there are still over half a billion €500 notes in circulation and they're still legal tender.

I think the plan was to have them out of circulation by end of this year but I am not sure if that means they're no longer valid by 2019 or what.

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds slightly worrying. You're not part of a gang, but who else goes around with €500 notes to pay for phones?

The guy runs a business and gave me his address. But to be safe I did double check the security features and used the tester pen and all was good.

Its just that I have never had one personally since I am here (15 years).

I did however accept one when I worked for a retail store, guy paid in 500 , 200 and 100 for an Xbox One and few games when it came out few years ago.

Allinall wrote: »

Notes that remain in circulation will remain valid but notes that come back to the central banks to be destroyed won't be replaced.

I've recently lodged them through BOI lodgement machine.

I'd say manned stations are rarer than €500 notes :pac:

How recent was this now if you dont mine me asking?

My local BOI branch only has one teller and a long que all day. They have about 8 lodgement machines though. The largest note I had lodged before is 100e through the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

coylemj wrote:
    You can lodge them no problem. Not sure if the machines have been calibrated for them, I'd go to a teller.

Quackster wrote:

I thought coylemj said the same thing?

Anyway, I had a few of them the last time I sold a car, the teller asked me where I got them and then lodged the money. Most retail outlets don't accept them though.

dan786 wrote: »
    How recent was this now if you dont mine me asking?

My local BOI branch only has one teller and a long que all day. They have about 8 lodgement machines though. The largest note I had lodged before is 100e through the machine.

Couple of weeks back.

tedpan wrote: »
    I thought coylemj said the same thing?

Shouldn't mean I can't give my opinion too!

Mr.S wrote: »
    No problems lodging it, €1,000 isn't a lot of money to the bank so it makes no difference to them.

They'll obviously check the notes are authentic as per any note lodged.

It also costs €3 to lodge a €500 note :rolleyes:

Advertisement