Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse port beach triathlon

• 23-09-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Anyone else do this yesterday ? With 12.5 degree water it was probably the coldest open water swim I have done to date. There was a bit of a delay with the later waves entering the sea as a tractor was found to be blocking a narrow road on the bike route, not sure if this affected the super series athletes on their bike leg but it was cleared soon after. Despite the cold it was surprising how quickly I warmed up on the bike. Well organised tri, clear instructions and transition well laid out, only minor gripe would be that the swim was about 200m long, the cycle 750m short while the run was 400m short. First time doing a mass beach start (not helped by the tide being out) not sure id be a fan :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Just regards the distance piece, I find it strange how every Tri i done this year, every single one has different distances than what it should have been! All around 3-400 metres difference , all the swims were off (thats bound to happen I'm sure) but bikes and runs all either short or longer....Cant be that hard to measure it :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

S_D wrote: »
    bikes and runs all either short or longer....Cant be that hard to measure it

The organisers don't build the roads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

S_D wrote: »
    Just regards the distance piece, I find it strange how every Tri i done this year, every single one has different distances than what it should have been! All around 3-400 metres difference , all the swims were off (thats bound to happen I'm sure) but bikes and runs all either short or longer....Cant be that hard to measure it :pac::pac::pac:

Mah, if you want accurate distances do track. Otherwise its best effort and conditions depending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

EC1000 wrote: »
    The organisers don't build the roads :)

They dont build them but they could at least measure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Take into account the long transitions and the run distance is made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Ceepo

TriFirst wrote: »
    Anyone else do this yesterday ? With 12.5 degree water it was probably the coldest open water swim I have done to date. There was a bit of a delay with the later waves entering the sea as a tractor was found to be blocking a narrow road on the bike route, not sure if this affected the super series athletes on their bike leg but it was cleared soon after. Despite the cold it was surprising how quickly I warmed up on the bike. Well organised tri, clear instructions and transition well laid out, only minor gripe would be that the swim was about 200m long, the cycle 750m short while the run was 400m short. First time doing a mass beach start (not helped by the tide being out) not sure id be a fan :)

How accurate ie your measuring device ???

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Ceepo wrote: »
    How accurate ie your measuring device ???

The organisers said the course wouldnt be bang on in advance. My garmin 735Xt tends to be fairly accurate and its findings mirrored other competitors' findings, plus members of pulse with whom I work admitted the swim was long. This isnt a new revelation, as someone else said lots of triathlons are either short or long, its a minor annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

980mtrs/19.6k/4.6 was what I got. Run has always been a few 100mtr short at that race. Probably the coldest swim I have ever done.

Advertisement