Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Octo-core VM build

Options
  • 23-09-2018 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to build a machine with as many threads and as much RAM as my budget will allow (€600-800), for the sole purpose of running VMware/GNS3 labs.

I'm looking at some older gen servers with dual Octo CPU support for 16core/32threads, and that would be the minimum number of cores I'd be happy with. Ideally I'd like the board to support dual 10 core CPUs for expansion down the line, but that's not essential.

In terms of RAM, I'm happy to have around 32-64GB initially, with room to expand.

For storage, I'm never going to use this for day to day storage or as a home file/media server, 1TB is plenty of space for what I plan on doing. But again, room for expansion is preferred.

I don't care much for space or noise issues, as this can be housed in a storage room and access remotely, but in saying that, a quiet solution housed in a desktop style tower would be a bonus. I'm personally only familiar with HP and Dell servers, so bit out of the loop in terms of maybe a home/gaming MB that's capable of dual CPUs at a reasonable price.

Anybody have any recommendations? I'm open to building from scratch or opinions on good server base models, as well as where to buy. The likes of servermonkey.com have configurable R710 and DL360s, but the shipping and potential import duty put it out of the equation.

1. What is your budget? €600-800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Virtualised server and networking lab

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Don't need

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Try bargain hardware in the uk http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/

I reccomend a dell poweredge R610 or above. I got one on adverts a few years back with 265gb ram, 2 4 core zeons, redundant power supplies, IDrac mamagement for around 500 euro, they are a bargain but have no place in the home as they are hot and noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd second something like an 11/12G Dell. If you can, get something with an Enterprise iDRAC, as it makes remote management a lot easier (the standard Express one doesn't give you virtual console, or remote USB/ISO mounting).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Try bargain hardware in the uk http://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/

I reccomend a dell poweredge R610 or above. I got one on adverts a few years back with 265gb ram, 2 4 core zeons, redundant power supplies, IDrac mamagement for around 500 euro, they are a bargain but have no place in the home as they are hot and noisy.

If you still have it, you can set the fan speed with a command, at around 20% fan speed they are quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Trine wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to build a machine with as many threads and as much RAM as my budget will allow (€600-800), for the sole purpose of running VMware/GNS3 labs.

High end non networking labs, you will hit a ram limit fast.
    High end networking labs you will hit a proc limit fast.

So where is your focus?

Advertisement