Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing out ego/behavior

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

walshb wrote: »
    Who exactly are you racing in a HM with thousands of all types of runners?

You are racing nobody but yourself and the clock....

Elites and quality runners is a different story...

if you are not racing then what are you doing? its about pushing yourself to compete and get across the line before others. if you are in anyway serious about competing (whether for a time, position, team place or against yourself) you race. if you are not racing in a race you are just running. Otherwise don't get so het up about it. There are many athletes who compete in huge fields and still race

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I'm more annoyed about the fella who stuttered right in front of me to take out his phone for a selfie. I hope he captured my glare with all the aggression I had intended. twat.

That went on a fair bit on first 1k of the rock n roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

IMO the biggest behaviour giving rise to these type of issues is those runners who start in the wrong place for their ability. Especially if they are in groups, ends up frustrating faster runners and causing surges. Doesn't help when routes are over subscribed and selfish folk start as close to the front as possible regardless of their ability.

Noticed a lot of club singlets in the last couple of years running in groups of 4/5 causing blockages at pinch point not to even mention pacer groups. Making space has become a necessity and surges and weaving have become inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

estariol wrote: »
    IMO the biggest behaviour giving rise to these type of issues is those runners who start in the wrong place for their ability. Especially if they are in groups, ends up frustrating faster runners and causing surges. Doesn't help when routes are over subscribed and selfish folk start as close to the front as possible regardless of their ability.

Noticed a lot of club singlets in the last couple of years running in groups of 4/5 causing blockages at pinch point not to even mention pacer groups. Making space has become a necessity and surges and weaving have become inevitable.

Big problem on Saturday again. People running slowly in lines of 4/5 blocking the WHOLE path chit chatting away between the 1.40 and 1.50 pacers. No offence to anyone but they are not running even close to that pacing. Rest of us were left running around them on uneven ground to get pass causing bottlenecks in tight areas.

Also people who are WALKING the whole thing seem to see no issue with starting near the front also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Id avoid those massive Dublin races, don't see the attraction at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

Pink11 wrote: »
    Also people who are WALKING the whole thing seem to see no issue with starting near the front also!

I couldn't get over the amount of people stopping to walk in the middle of the pack,
    by all means stop if you need to, but move to the side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

if you are not racing then what are you doing? its about pushing yourself to compete and get across the line before others. if you are in anyway serious about competing (whether for a time, position, team place or against yourself) you race. if you are not racing in a race you are just running. Otherwise don't get so het up about it. There are many athletes who compete in huge fields and still race

I did not say you weren’t racing. I asked “who” are you racing?

These mass participation races, or runs see so many people running.

Apart from the elites, who usually all know each other, who are the rest of the nobodies racing? Other nobodies that they have no clue about?

You are racing yourself and your PB and the clock. The rest of the nobodies just happen to be close by doing the same thing. They can spur you on, pace you, or give you hope or encouragement, but make no mistake, you are not racing them. Nobody cares.

Trust me, I have run these races/events...it’s the course/clock you’re racing, not the thousands of complete strangers who know nothing about each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

walshb wrote: »

I did not say you weren’t racing. I asked “who” are you racing?

These mass participation races, or runs see so many people running.

Apart from the elites, who usually all know each other, who are the rest of the nobodies racing? Other nobodies that they have no clue about?

You are racing yourself and your PB and the clock. The rest of the nobodies just happen to be close by doing the same thing. They can spur you on, pace you, or give you hope or encouragement, but make no mistake, you are not racing them. Nobody cares.

Trust me, I have run these races/events...it’s the course/clock you’re racing, not the thousands of complete strangers who know nothing about each other.
    You always have to demean someone in your posts. 'Nobodies' versus 'nobodies' and 'nobody' cares. Trust me, you say, You're 'aving a laugh, m8!
    I bet the vast majority of runners on here recognise others of a more or less similar ability in these races you speak of. They will have a good idea how a few are going in training and will spot fellas who've beaten 'em and who they have beaten. I would wager that during the race new challenges will emerge. You spot someone who looks to be going really well and think 'I'm going to try hang on to this guy for as long as possible'. Then there's the show off who you swear you'll beat. There's the 'fast' female who you'd love to finish ahead of. I could go on. Club mates, former club mates, training partners and so on and so on. So, no, you don't have to be up at the very top end to be able to race these events. 
    Me, I know a good few who I spot at the 10k or Half marathon races I do most years. Then there's social media, you can see some runners' progress in training on that. Why wouldn't you care? 
    Ultimately, of course the great public don't care. We know that; we're not stupid. It's not as if they care whether Travers beats Clohissey either mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've much more interest in seeing how mates race than the 'somebodies'.

Anyway, regulars here know that posts from that guy are best ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Itziger wrote: »
    You always have to demean someone in your posts. 'Nobodies' versus 'nobodies' and 'nobody' cares.

Maybe I was a little too direct/abrupt...I wasn’t trying to insult anyone.

But really, mass participation races/racing are kind of dumbed down versions of actual racing/races. That was more the point I was trying to convey..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Id avoid those massive Dublin races, don't see the attraction at all

I made a conscious decision this year to attend some of the other races outside of Dublin and I was blown away every time. Only for the fact I had signed up to the half on Saturday back in January, I would have gone to Charleville instead.

(i'm a non dub living in dublin at the mo :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Djoucer wrote: »
    When did people start believing you only race a race if you have a chance of winning?

Bizarre mentality.

Go to any IMRA/XC race and arguably the most intense racing is between mid packers. That’s the beauty of running races. Regardless of your level, you can experience intense competition (and make up rivalries in your head.)

I get big races like the Dublin series would have a lot of people doing it for the craic. But it’s more craic if you race those around you.

I havent read many more of the posts here, but this a million times over!
    Especially a XC series where your pitting youself against the same people regularly. Theres few things more satisfying or killing than that last slog up a hill or whatever to finish off someone you have been toe to toe with!

FWIW i have never won a race, and more than likely never will, but the give and take mini battles or targets during a race is what keeps me going....the last thing i want to do is actually listen to whats going on inside my head, if i can focus on some lad 20m ahead and say "I'm gonna catch him" or "I'm not gonna let him get any further away" then thats what running in a race is to me!
    tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I'm more annoyed about the fella who stuttered right in front of me to take out his phone for a selfie. I hope he captured my glare with all the aggression I had intended. twat.
    This is hilarous. WTF?

Advertisement