Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File content search on Mac desktop running 10.11.6 El Capitan

• 23-09-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for words in excel s/sheet.

Mac help says use the + on the RHS of Finder: it is not there, can only search by file name.
    Thanks as always.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

The "+" should appear when you start typing into the search box in Finder, in a new toolbar below the search box. After it appears, you can just delete whatever you typed into the search box, if you don't need to use it as one of the search criteria.

However (though I forget if it worked like this in El Capitan, or with Office docs), you can normally search the contents of files without using that. Type the word or phrase you're looking for in the Finder search box, and just press Enter instead of selecting "filename matches" from the menu that appears. This should search file contents as well as file names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

calum wrote: »
    The "+" should appear when you start typing into the search box in Finder, in a new toolbar below the search box. After it appears, you can just delete whatever you typed into the search box, if you don't need to use it as one of the search criteria.

However (though I forget if it worked like this in El Capitan, or with Office docs), you can normally search the contents of files without using that. Type the word or phrase you're looking for in the Finder search box, and just press Enter instead of selecting "filename matches" from the menu that appears. This should search file contents as well as file names.

Thanks, the + does not appear, i will try the second bit later :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Here's where you should see it. Note you have to press Escape when the popup menu appears, not click the Clear icon (X).

Advertisement