Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance Question: no longer living in the insured property

• 23-09-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭

Case:
    House policy for marital home in his name only.
    Mortgage in his name only.

He moves out.

House policy up for renewal with a broker.
    He calls broker to ask that mailing address be changed as part of renewal.

Broker refuses, says new policy required as he is no longer living in the insured property, which is still occupied by wife and kids.

He hangs up, calls broker again, says he want to renew policy and change mailing address for renewals/receipts.
    Broker takes money and sends Section 30 receipt to new mailing address.

Policy is with Zurich

Any thoughts.
    Thanks as always.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

At a guess he may find the insurance worthless when it comes to making a claim as there is usually a clause about "material facts"

Perhaps he would have got a similar or even better quote by calling another insurance company anyway instead of a renewal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

At a guess he may find the insurance worthless when it comes to making a claim as there is usually a clause about "material facts"

Perhaps he would have got a similar or even better quote by calling another insurance company anyway instead of a renewal?

There has been no material fact re the insured asset.
    The policy does not say that he must occupy the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

There has been no material fact re the insured asset.
    The policy does not say that he must occupy the house.

Broker refuses, says new policy required as he is no longer living in the insured property

calls broker again, says he want to renew policy and change mailing address

Are you sure? I would expect a difference in risk, however small, between the owner occupying the house and it being occupied by someone else?

When he rang first he was declaring that he was no longer living in the house, in the second case he was only asking for the documents to be sent to another address with no change in the policy information.

Worst case (I think) is your friend will discover that the nice insurance company, who were willing to take his money and facts at face value, will use it as a loophole to avoid paying out in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Worst case (I think) is your friend will discover that the nice insurance company, who were willing to take his money and facts at face value, will use it as a loophole to avoid paying out in the event of a claim.

Thanks, as this is their default option anyway I will tell him get it resolved.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement