Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to let 8 miles from Dublin City Center, 30 mins to Airport.

Options
  • 23-09-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'd like to get your feedback on how to go about renting a room in a three bed-semi in Dublin West. The house needs a lot of work but it is habitable. I am planning on living there myself and renting out a room. I know the place does not have all the mod-cons but I am prepared to put in some work to bring it up to scratch. Basically it was my old mans house (he's moved on to a better place now) and he didn't do much to keep it up to date.
    For the location and the level of comfort of the house I was thinking €400 a month would be OK? Where should I advertise? Should I ask for a deposit? Who should I let to? Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

i) Go with your gut on who you let too, you'll be inundated. Get some one who
    a) is not a shut in - someone who'll leave occationally, and not just for work.
    b) Works - and works a similar schedule to you.
    c) Someone who is aware of the issues with the property and is willing to rought it in return for the reduced rent.
    d) Make it abundantly clear that overnight guests are one a week tops.

ii) Advertise of DAFT.ie the sharing section is free. Take loads of photos including of the fixtures you're providing. DO NOT say you won't accept HAP, you have to look like you're accepting it, do not accept HAP. Use Daft to see the market rent in your area and reduce it by an amount you think is appropriate for the condition of the property, say 10%.

iii) Ask for a one month's deposit and a keep notice to one week for either side. You can easily replace a 'tenent' but you don't want one hanging around a month if it's not working out. DO NOT Spend the deposit - it's not yours and it should be returned unless there there are vouched damages.

iv) The only thing you do in writing is, reciepts for rent/deposit and an inventory. They're guests in your home, don't start putting things in writing.

v) Charge a rent to cover things like toilet paper, coffee and milk. But charge bills for electrcity and gas - keeps them (and you) honest.

vi) stick telly in their room it encourages them to use that rather than the living room, but make sure they feel welcome in all parts (within reason) of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

bigpaudge wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'd like to get your feedback on how to go about renting a room in a three bed-semi in Dublin West. The house needs a lot of work but it is habitable. I am planning on living there myself and renting out a room. I know the place does not have all the mod-cons but I am prepared to put in some work to bring it up to scratch. Basically it was my old mans house (he's moved on to a better place now) and he didn't do much to keep it up to date.
    For the location and the level of comfort of the house I was thinking €400 a month would be OK? Where should I advertise? Should I ask for a deposit? Who should I let to? Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Well if it's in a bad condition and other rooms in the area are 400 (unlikely obviously) then 400 is too much - if your competition is 700 then someone will take it.

Stick it on daft and ask for emails looking for a bit of a personal details (work, age etc) although you may not have much interest from working professionals if the room is terrible for example.

You can choose to ask for a deposit for damage etc but youre renting a room and only have to provide minimal notice if you want someone to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

vii) Spend the money you get form renting on the property and gradually (as lodgers come and go) increase the rent to market rate.

+1 on the above, plus include only an email in the advert, discount anyone who your gut doesn't like and anyone who spells 'that' 'dat'. Ask for name, age and a bit about themsleves. The savvy ones will include a paragraph or so. Some will include a photo - that one made me chuckle last time around, but it's getting that bad that any edge is an edge in getting a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i) Go with your gut on who you let too, you'll be inundated.
    ii) Advertise of DAFT.ie the sharing section is free. Take loads of photos including of the fixtures you're providing. DO NOT say you won't accept HAP, you have to look like you're accepting it, do not accept HAP. Use Daft to see the market rent in your area and reduce it by an amount you think is appropriate for the condition of the property, say 10%.
    On top of this, if they give you a sob story, write their name in the "no" category. Ask what they do during the week. If it doesn't include working regular hours, again put them into the "no" category.

Make an email address for this; don't use your usual one.
    Get a free sim, €20 a month pre-paid plan, and use an old phone. Once the room is let, said sim goes into an envelope to be only used when you wish to re-let the room.

=-=

Also, how far away is the house from the nearest bus/train/LUAS stop to Dublin? This can be used as a selling point for the ad.

Advertisement