Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groves v Smith

Options
  • 23-09-2018 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

What do ye think about this? I think Groves is going to smash him out of it to be honest, has Smith fought anyone of note of the calibre that Groves has? I honestly think Groves is a level above him here, the odds are quite good for a Groves KO and I’m going to have a put off that I think. As far as I’m concerned Smith has never been tested and is in over his head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is Smith’s test, not Groves’. Smith has fought nobody...

Groves is far from unbeatable. In fact, as many know, I don’t think he is the same fighter from a few years ago...

Smith can show us that he has quality if he can win...Groves winning won’t show us anything other than Smith was never great...

It’s a fight that I expect Groves to win, but the fact that Smith is still an unknown makes it interesting. Smith can punch. Groves can punch. Both can box. May come down to fitness and who takes the other’s shots the best...

Costs about 21 euro on ITV BO...

Rip off. But I’ll pay it...

Ring walks circa 22:00 hrs Irish time on Friday night..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Unless Smiths chin is made of Granite Groves will stop him with a big right hand. Smith is wide open to it. Have the stoppage backed at 4/1 since after the semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

walshb wrote: »
    Costs about 21 euro on ITV BO...

Rip off. But I’ll pay it...

Ring walks circa 22:00 hrs Irish time on Friday night..

I'm training Friday night but will probably buy it. Load of sh*t really, anyone on the undercard?

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm training Friday night but will probably buy it. Load of sh*t really, anyone on the undercard?

Eubank vs JJ McDonagh

• Advertisement

Ah here that's taking the p*ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Eubank vs JJ McDonagh

Used to train with JJ.
    Paddy seemed more likely of the two to be suited to the pro game. Seemed to have went quiet

Used to train with JJ.
    Paddy seemed more likely of the two to be suited to the pro game. Seemed to have went quiet

How’d you think he’ll do against Eubank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I'm a little puzzled by how close the betting is for this. Is Groves injury that significant?

I'm a little puzzled by how close the betting is for this. Is Groves injury that significant?

Groves for some reason always gets written off in the betting stakes, I've had great money off him over the years - against De Gale and Eubanks especially. He was 6/4 to beat Eubank with 5/1 on decision like, easiest money ever made in boxing. I mean Smith isn't a mug, but the resumes of the two fighters are miles apart.

Is it a dead cert? No. But is this an even match up? I don't believe so, he's worth a punt deffo.

• Advertisement

Smith actually started as a slight favourite when the betting opened the night of Smith-Holzken semi final. That’s when I got my money on Groves.
    Don’t think it has to do with the injury as Groves has been backed in since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

How’d you think he’ll do against Eubank?

It's 10 years since I trained with him. I can't comment as if only seen two of his pro fights, one years ago when he was ko'd and one more recent where he ko'd his opponent .
    Followed paddy at the start, but that's a few years ago too

I think it’s safe to say he’ll get steamed. I don’t think the bookies are even giving odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

McDonagh has been brought in to lose basically,

Eubank is only on the card incase Smith or Groves don't make weight, he steps in

I've not been impressed with Callum's last few fights, and who knows what way Groves' injury will hold up.

Smith won the English, British & European titles by first round KO, gonna stick a euro on first round KO @ 60/1 with PP for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

how does one purchase this if on sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think Smith will be competitive and it will be quite close. Smith has quite a size and reach advantage. Interesting to see how Groves deals with that. I don't see how Groves smashes and stops him though, but I'd say he wins a close decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Smith looks absolutely dead at the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

very little talk about this, surprising. im looking forward to it

akelly02 wrote: »
    very little talk about this, surprising. im looking forward to it

Really looking forward to this as well.

Ring walk is around 9pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

What just happened in the JJ McDonagh fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

:rolleyes: Right Shoulder injury.....

Right here we go, got Groves KO at 3/1. I was probably a bit hasty in saying Groves would smash him but ''tis still a value bet.

I think this could be a good old scrap once George's shoulder holds up.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Right Shoulder injury.....

Missed that as I was down the gym meself. Buddy said he was getting belted and out of his depth is that the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

A message doing the rounds today that it would be over within 4 . A scam

I'm not convinced Groves shoulder is fully healed yet. I think he decided to take the risk in coming back early rather than miss the final. I hope it holds up and we have a straight up fight, no excuses.

Although I've predicted Groves, I rate Smith's chances.

A message doing the rounds today that it would be over within 4 . A scam

Ha no wonder the bookies were hardly taking bets!

Missed that as I was down the gym meself. Buddy said he was getting belted and out of his depth is that the case?

He looked quite comfortable to me, which is why the pullout came as a surprise.

That announcer is ****ing annoying.

Rooting for Smith..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Yeah absolutely battered, took a knock to the top of the head in the first and went down like a fat kid on a see-saw. Recovered well but was well out of his depth. The aftermath in ring interview was even better though.

Advertisement