Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groves v Smith

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

One or two punches don't win you rounds lads, Groves is keeping things ticking over.

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FTA69 wrote: »
    Groves don't have it no more lads.

Absolutely. The difference between his spark and spite and speed today compared to 5 years ago is stark...

Looked very sloppy and lethargic tonight..

Great win by Smith, the better man all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That was one late hit to the back of head when Groves is down.

FTA69 wrote: »
    There was an air of quit about that, he wasn't there mentally.

Big time! Had enough. Wanted out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Very weird to see Groves quit like that, nice shot from Smith

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Smith had him beat but is lucky he didn't get disqualified for that hit to the back of the head when groves was down, also Shane mcguigan is a useless trainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Jesus lads, how about some credit for Smith?

He's a quality operator and deserves some praise? Then again this is an internet forum, praise is a dirty word around here.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Groves knew he wasn't threatening Smith at all and he knew Smith had the ability to bang him out, he was buzzed three times. He was going through the motions after a while and just didn't want to be there. He's had a hard career and I hope that's the end for him. He's a sound chap and gave us some great nights of boxing. I hope he packs it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Smith had him beat but is lucky he didn't get disqualified for that hit to the back of the head when groves was down, also Shane mcguigan is a useless trainer

Don't think he'd have been dqed, but it was dirty imo. Very late and to the back of the head. Was completely uncalled for.

• Advertisement

Smith deserves a lot of credit, I wanted Groves to win but Smith was the better man. Groves didn't seem to know how to deal with him.

megadodge wrote: »
    Jesus lads, how about some credit for Smith?

He's a quality operator and deserves some praise? Then again this is an internet forum, praise is a dirty word around here.....

Utter bastard who cost me a tenner. I've no time for him at all. And that trophy looks sh*t.

:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

titan18 wrote: »
    Don't think he'd have been dqed, but it was dirty imo. Very late and to the back of the head. Was completely uncalled for.

You would in america

Smith looked very neat and composed and tidy...

Groves, well, looked like sh1t...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Groves definitely quit there. Could see him shaking his head as the ref was counting and he looked ok to get up.

Pathetic from the ref to let Smith away with that last shot. Groves definitely on his knees and it was right on the back of the head. Point taken away at least.

Also, who or what the **** is this ring announcer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The body shot just before Groves went down seemed to be the clincher in making sure he would struggle to or think twice about making the count.

57-57
    59-55 for Smith
    59-55 for Groves

Cards at the time of stoppage. Pretty decent cards in a way, a good few subjective rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Well done Smith. Was in control nd hurt Groves several times while remaining cautious defensively. I got it wrong based on Smith’s semi final which he clearly wasn’t taking too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Groves definitely quit there. Could see him shaking his head as the ref was counting and he looked ok to get up.

Pathetic from the ref to let Smith away with that last shot. Groves definitely on his knees and it was right on the back of the head. Point taken away at least.

Also, who or what the **** is this ring announcer?

And who's his hairdresser?:D:D:D

Smith surely fights Eubank next? Would sell quite well and both will fancy it. I'd quite like to see Smith vs Zurdo due to size similarities and I think they match up quite well style wise. Zurdo needs to start fighting decent opponents he's fought f*ck since he won the belt.

• Advertisement

You would in america

Yeah, like Andre Ward was against Kovalev (x3)!

Duke McKenzie astute enough as a commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'd say a few made a good few quid on that.

I had my question marks on Groves because I always thought he was a bit fragile, even more so comming off a surgery. I got burned last time as I went for Eubank Jr in their match, but I really shoulda had a punt on this one.

Good scrap while it lasted, little to no feeling out. Busy, fun fight. It's a pity most won't have seen it, or even heard about it because there was very little publicity leading into this one.

P.S McDonagh made a complete clown out of himself after his match. Clearly of a very low IQ.

Jesus McDonagh is a dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

weemcd wrote: »

P.S McDonagh made a complete clown out of himself after his match. Clearly of a very low IQ.
    What did he say/do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The body shot just before Groves went down seemed to be the clincher in making sure he would struggle to or think twice about making the count.

Bang on the money, saw the replay up close and the body shot took all the fight out of Groves.

And what about the size of Naz, bloody hell he has got even bigger 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Not a quit whatsoever. Great body shot.

Did not expect that from Callum Smith. Brilliant performance. Thought it was very close on the cards but deserved winner for sure. Clearly a great finisher. One would wonder why he's been kept back until this point. Clearly belongs at the top of the division.

Gutted for Groves and not too sure where he goes from here. DeGale is apparently fighting Eubank next and I think Eubank will probably retire him. Absolutely horrendous matchup for the 2018 version of DeGale. Don't see any real big money fights left for Groves possibly time to hang them up. Had some career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

weemcd wrote: »
    I'd say a few made a good few quid on that.

You think? I really struggle to see how anyone would've seen that coming. Smith has shown zero signs of being on Groves level till tonight.

Morrison J wrote: »
    You think? I really struggle to see how anyone would've seen that coming. Smith has shown zero signs of being on Groves level till tonight.

I would disagree. I am really pissed off with myself in the prediction competition, as all week I was fancying Smith, but to be honest I chickened out in the end.

I think people were completely overreacting to his semi-final performance where he was kind of going through the motions with a late sub. A lot of sports people perform to the level of their opponents, so when they meet better opposition they perform better, as they are really up for it, totally zoned in, aware of the importance, etc. and by the same token, when taking on someone they don't deem a challenge they can be underwhelming.

Having watched Smith since the beginning of his career I always thought he had what it took. I really think he will be hard beaten for the next few years.... unless weight becomes an issue, which it could as he's bloody enormous for a super-middle.

• Advertisement

I think people were definitely overrating Groves, it was hard to tell were Smith was at as his career seemed to have stalled a bit the last few years. He was beating nobodies and making it look hard work but I think he's one of those who will be better against better fighters. That size and reach advantage would be a nightmare for many.

Advertisement