Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are ye eatin' and drinkin' - The Eatening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Had a lovely salad sandwich

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Still not finished the game pack we got off Neighbourfood in the middle of March so today we had wild boar stew because it was rainy and windy and sh!te out.

The best bit about stew is that it's class today, but it's even better tomorrow... can't wait.

515494.jpg

Used the stock I made with the bone from the leg of venison. It is gamey af

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Shopping today so spoiled for choice, couldn't decide on the long drive back between lashing a big curry together of having some crusty buns when herself put an end to my quandary telling me she had some of the last chicken and beef curry frozen and why not have that with a couple of crusty buns and a small few chips. Mangled it after a long walk up the hills, there was one curry cheddar sub with chips strategically placed on the outside gone before i took the photo.

Picked up a couple of strong beers in Lidl today and got herself to taste one without telling her it is extra strong. Lovely she said, so I convinced her to enjoy a bottle while watching the telly. It's 7.5% and I know she wouldn't even dream of checking the alcohol content, I can hear her laughing away in the other room, she'll be on her ear on the couch in an hour. I'm a bad man.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Having a Chinese for dinner Beef in black pepper sauce and boiled rice :)

Nice roast leg of one of our own 100% organic, almost like a member of the family, slightly older than a lamb.

And a delicate dish she made....

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Tasty tasty lutton (not quite lamb, not quite mutton :D)

Here's an Irish coffee. I feckin need it today.

515597.jpg

Currently making a loaf of white bread to dip in the stew in a while. Made double the amount needed, to prep lots of small rolls we can freeze and bake as we want em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Nice roast leg of one of our own 100% organic, almost like a member of the family, slightly older than a lamb.

And a delicate dish she made....

Massive!

Having a couple of cans watching Bond. Movie madness all day. Girls dinners eaten. I'm having the same after the film and beers. Round two of yesterdays.

My dinner is happening now. Made yesterday and consumed yesterday too. Always better the next day. Cottage Pie. Added some potato croquettes to the mix. A movie to follow with some Twix bars and popcorn for the second time today!

IMG_20200607_170013.jpg

s1ippy wrote: »
    Tasty tasty lutton (not quite lamb, not quite mutton :D)

Here's an Irish coffee. I feckin need it today.

515597.jpg

Currently making a loaf of white bread to dip in the stew in a while. Made double the amount needed, to prep lots of small rolls we can freeze and bake as we want em.

The Four Faced Liar, my eldest lad who was a kid at the time was the last person to ring those famous bells in the 20th century.

We arrived at the steps and the man was just locking the doors to go home for a few hours rest because he had to return before midnight for the bells to be played for the big street party to ring in the new century.

I told him we were looking forward to doing it but we understood he was after a long day, he just looked at the youngfella and in his pure Cork accent said "C'mon boy, shur we'll go up and you can give um a good ol' ring".

It's when he was locking up the doors again afterwards he said "Now boy, you'll always be the last person ever that rang them bells in the 20th century".

Pure Cork, pure salt of the earth.

Smirnoff and cranberry juice here, sorry for the trip down memory lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The Four Faced Liar, my eldest lad who was a kid at the time was the last person to ring those famous bells in the 20th century.

We arrived at the steps and the man was just locking the doors to go home for a few hours rest because he had to return before midnight for the bells to be played for the big street party to ring in the new century.

I told him we were looking forward to doing it but we understood he was after a long day, he just looked at the youngfella and in his pure Cork accent said "C'mon boy, shur we'll go up and you can give um a good ol' ring".

It's when he was locking up the doors again afterwards he said "Now boy, you'll always be the last person ever that rang them bells in the 20th century".

Pure Cork, pure salt of the earth.

Smirnoff and cranberry juice here, sorry for the trip down memory lane.

You can find gems of posts in the most unlikely threads.

• Advertisement

That's some story, Rows Grower!!! I was only down the road from ye at that moment, aged ten, up on my dad's shoulders having an absolutely fantastic time in the streets celebrating! I think Shandon is my favourite place in Cork city, Mother Jones came from there before she went to America and completely changed workers rights forever.

My incredibly talented friend made the art on the cup. Popmutt is the name of his online shop. He has a particularly nice one of the Singer sewing centre too (of which I have a poster).

515624.jpg

The bread turned out only one grade above sh!te, I didn't have bread flour... but it was a good dipper, it's going to make a quality French toast tomorrow and I can put some of my jostaberry jam on the small buns when the berries are ripe enough to preserve in a few days.

I've yet to find a reliable white bread recipe if anyone has one. Such a shame I did that intense workout kneading the fook out of it all afternoon and it wasn't soft and fluffy like I wanted but that's the joy of baking sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Drinking gin martinis and eating crackers and hummus. I made the gin martinis for myself and my housemate for the first time and bloody hell they’re strong but tasty.

Lamb here again this evening but with frozen chips out of the airfryer topped with gravy and cheese. Cheap and cheery and mighty tasty.

Strawberries and ice cream :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm going to make some kind of pasta dish with pancetta (Aldi), green beans, tomato, garlic and hard cheese.

Weird double post that deletes both when I delete the extra one.

Have a joke...

Why do riot police get up early?

To beat the crowds!

Freshly baked banana bread, although didn't have brown sugar so it's cakier than usual. Chopped up dates, figs, apricots and lots of raisins and sultanas inside, pecans on top and such a delicious combo of vanilla and cinnamon. Threw a few chocolate chips on it too melt seeing as it's only fresh out of the oven once.

515732.jpg

I like your mug ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just finished a sandwich of scallions and salad cream.
    Alot of scallions so no kissing tonight :(

A skinny coke and a twix, watching a movie.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm going to make some kind of pasta dish with pancetta (Aldi), green beans, tomato, garlic and hard cheese.

IMG-20200609-001153.jpg

I added a small jar of Ballymaloe tomato and smoked bacon sauce too.

Those ingredients on their own though are still good to make a sauce, which is delicious, but all buried beneath the pasta in this photo. It looks like anything really, but very tasty, worth a try.

Smoked garlic and basil sausages out of the airfryer, Brennan's wholegrain bread, laughing cow spreadable cheese and sliced cheddar with Heinz ketchup.

Ready to move a mountain once I finish the cupán tae.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Chicken Maryland, veg and chips.

Sirloin, roasties, peas, turnip and parsnip mash and a drop of gravy. Substituted roast chicken for the girls.

From freezer to plate in 10 minutes, easy knowing there's only two males in the house at the moment. Nice glass of red wine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

A very (un)healthy quarter pounder, cooked on the pan with the onions..and lettuce and mayo/ketchup, so bad but so tasty :D

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    A very (un)healthy quarter pounder, cooked on the pan with the onions..and lettuce and mayo/ketchup, so bad but so tasty :D

So great Mam! get stuck into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

Chocolate cake & coffee
    Quelle Surprise!

Chocolate cake & coffee
    Quelle Surprise!

My local shop stocks a fairly locally made Black Forest Gateux for 6 quid. I've only tasted it once in a friends house. It is feckin fabulous! I never buy it as Mrs G. is on so many diets on and off that I'd be called a feeder.:D Ms G. doesn't like it. So I'd be faced with having to eat all of it over the course of two days. Tempting as I love nearly all cakes. I can just about get a Coolmore chocolate fudge cake in the door because my daughter likes it too. But that bloody Gateux is calling me.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475f18d25830d2c65a8845f1822e90f2b53d11cba4&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Redneck Reject1971

Grandeeod wrote: »
    My local shop stocks a fairly locally made Black Forest Gateux for 6 quid. I've only tasted it once in a friends house. It is feckin fabulous! I never buy it as Mrs G. is on so many diets on and off that I'd be called a feeder.:D Ms G. doesn't like it. So I'd be faced with having to eat all of it over the course of two days. Tempting as I love nearly all cakes. I can just about get a Coolmore chocolate fudge cake in the door because my daughter likes it too. But that bloody Gateux is calling me.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475f18d25830d2c65a8845f1822e90f2b53d11cba4&rid=giphy.gif

I feel diabetic just looking at that,heh.

A bowl of chicken curry and a bowl of chips.

The first meal that wasn't home cooked since March 15th and the first Chinese takeaway in 4 months.

Sweet mother of God in Heaven we though we'd never see the day again

The wife got her favourite of Chicken in black bean sauce with fried rice and took it into the front room to watch the news, the young fella had his 4 in 1 of chicken, curry, chips and rice and he took that into his room (it was gone in less than 2 minutes) and I had the kitchen to myself listening to Gordon Lightfoot with my long awaited beef chop suey with fried rice, no onions and home made chips.

Red wine was involved and will continue to be involved for the remainder of the evening.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, what a wonderful world.

The first meal that wasn't home cooked since March 15th and the first Chinese takeaway in 4 months.

Sweet mother of God in Heaven we though we'd never see the day again

The wife got her favourite of Chicken in black bean sauce with fried rice and took it into the front room to watch the news, the young fella had his 4 in 1 of chicken, curry, chips and rice and he took that into his room (it was gone in less than 2 minutes) and I had the kitchen to myself listening to Gordon Lightfoot with my long awaited beef chop suey with fried rice, no onions and home made chips.

Red wine was involved and will continue to be involved for the remainder of the evening.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, what a wonderful world.

You're Chinese Takeaway looks like a good shop. That has it all goin on RG, but I'd keep the onions in.:D Having a beer at the mo after working on absolutely ancient crap in my production space all day. My dinner tonight is a sirloin steak (I feckin love steak) mash, peas, croquettes and gravy. It's a ME meal.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I am currently eating an enormous breakfast bap that I picked up from a caf on my way into work. 2 sausages, two rashers, and a piece each of black and white pudding, on a soft bap with butter and ketchup. And made with love for the small price of 4.95. Delish!

Have my hot coffee here as well, for the morning that's in it.

For the girls- a rather ordinary Goodfellas Pizza, garlic bread and steak house fries. They love it on a Friday for some reason. I've no interest in it at all. For moi, I went for the ultimate 80s classic of chicken and chips in a basket. Got some nice thighs and drum sticks into the air fryer. While they rested I did the chips. Supervalu chunky chips. BBQ and Garlic sauce dips too. I must admit it was a blast from the past and delicious as well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Vegetable Biryani , veg with biryani rice with a chickpea and lentil curry .
    Very tasty and filling tbh , Lidls finest :D

ETA, late night shopping so it was heated up while shopping was put away !

For moi, I went for the ultimate 80s classic of chicken and chips in a basket. Got some nice thighs and drum sticks into the air fryer. While they rested I did the chips. Supervalu chunky chips. BBQ and Garlic sauce dips too. I must admit it was a blast from the past and delicious as well.:D

Jaysus I'd ate that now, we'd a nice healthy meat and two veg dinner but yours sounds much more thempting, especially after 3 cans of Heineken :D

GoneHome wrote: »
    Jaysus I'd ate that now, we'd a nice healthy meat and two veg dinner but yours sounds much more thempting, especially after 3 cans of Heineken :D

Twas meat and one Veg! With dips.:D Seriously though, it was only planned at lunchtime today. Just fancied it over a few cans for a change. I remember it being served in pubs for free.:eek:

I remember it being served in pubs for free.:eek:

So do I :D I wonder will it go back to that in the new regime Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Fry up here for dinner. Sausages, rashers, mushrooms, fried egg and fried bread. Delicious plate of food and even a couple of sausages left for a sambo when I finish my few beers!

Nice surprise there earlier today when a friend called with a few dozen crab claws fresh out of the sea, he was duly given the lamb chops I was thawing out for this evening and there was a big change in the planned bill of fare. Boiled them for 12 minutes in salt water, straight into ice and water, then out to the patio where they were hammered and shelled before being put in fridge.

Did a stir fry of peppers, red onion with lots of garlic and ginger, added oyster and spring onion sauce then half the crab meat just to warm it up. Served with fried rice and prawn crackers, happy household.

Having a few mini Tuc with oak smoked and ordinary cheddar, a few red grapes and a glass of red wine.

It's a tough old life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Crab claws sound lovely, love crab.

Chinese here, house special in black pepper sauce with extra chillies. Boiled rice, chips and chicken balls with it. Food coma and a few beers on the couch upcoming.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Enjoying a post dinner glass of vino and a Reese's peanut butter cup

We're just after a lovely toasted ham, cheese, tomato and onion sandwich, with a lovely mug of tay.

I made a Cottage Pie today. Feck all else to do. :D The girls had that for dinner with extra beef gravy and potato crouquettes. (actually Mrs G. had beans on the side too.) Loads more left for tomorrow. I took a homemade chicken curry out of the freezer earlier. Gonna reheat it and splash it over some chunky chips later. Right now it's a beer and Flubber on Disney+.

I was able to go the distance today, because breakfast at 10.30am was two sausages, three rashers, two waffles, beans, toast and OJ. A decent set up, so skipped any kind of lunch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I made a Cottage Pie today. Feck all else to do. :D The girls had that for dinner with extra beef gravy and potato crouquettes. (actually Mrs G. had beans on the side too.) Loads more left for tomorrow. I took a homemade chicken curry out of the freezer earlier. Gonna reheat it and splash it over some chunky chips later. Right now it's a beer and Flubber on Disney+.

Sounds class!! See your homemade meals- what are they like out of the freezer or what do you store them in? Considering starting to do a bulk cook on a Sunday for the week ahead instead of buying those “fit/healthy” meals at €5 a go typically for lunches for the week and do them myself.

Was always skeptical of whether a chicken curry / shepherds pie type frozen would taste nice defrosted. Store it in lunchbox and just defrost night before or straight into oven? I’ve no idea :D:D I’ve only started buying chicken fillets in bulk and forget to separate them. So when I only want 2 I’ve to defrost all 4 lumped together in the pack

^ I just use those resealable freezer bags.
    I would freeze the sauce but use fresh chicken.

I'm sure freezing the chicken in the sauce would be fine though.

I would never put frozen sauce in the oven.
    I put the frozen ziplock bag into gently simmering water. Careful that the contents don't leak. Or defrost in microwave

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Sounds class!! See your homemade meals- what are they like out of the freezer or what do you store them in? Considering starting to do a bulk cook on a Sunday for the week ahead instead of buying those “fit/healthy” meals at €5 a go typically for lunches for the week and do them myself.

Was always skeptical of whether a chicken curry / shepherds pie type frozen would taste nice defrosted. Store it in lunchbox and just defrost night before or straight into oven? I’ve no idea :D:D I’ve only started buying chicken fillets in bulk and forget to separate them. So when I only want 2 I’ve to defrost all 4 lumped together in the pack

Shepards Pie/Cottage Pie doesn't freeze well IMHO. I've done it before, but it tends to be dry and even gravy won't save it. Now as for curry, there's absolutely no problem with freezing it once you have plenty of sauce in the dish. I put it in the plastic containers you would get from a takeaway. You can buy them in Dealz and similar places. I usually defrost before heating, but you can (and I have done it) cook in the microwave from frozen for around 15 minutes. Most currries you get from a pub/hotel bar menu are done that way. FACT.:D

As for rice, if you are looking for a quick fix, Iceland do a large bag of frozen rice pouches. 3 mins in the microwave and tastes fab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement