Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are ye eatin' and drinkin' - The Eatening

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Toasted Brioche with crushed blackberry, brown sugar and freshly hard whipped cream, dashed with crushed almond and pistachio. Sliced home grown Williams Pear coated in Roasted Iranian Fig. 4 streaks of Irish Bacon grilled to a crisp.

Washing down with freshly squeezed grapefruit, honey and a dash of club soda.

A large pot of percolated Lavazza, I threw in 4 generous scoops.

I am just back from the Newsagents were I purchased 4 broadsheets, Irish Times, The Examiner, The Guardian, The Washington Post and The UK Daily Star ( for a giggle, up skirt celeb pickies and Soccer Gossip). I am hoping to get through every inch before the racing starts at 1 pm. I am not working today and I have turned off my work phone, the Bat phone is never turned off but I have resolved to not answer if possible.

I told the new sales assistant that she looked " radiant " this morning, she blushed red. It was nice to get her off to a nice start.

I will update at lunch, something heavy I think, I bought a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and am currently debating on lemon or tonic. I am going to get absolutely trashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Cooked a chicken today and roasted some spuds in the same tray. Used to be a fave of mine before I developed a taste for spicy food many moons ago. I still enjoy it though. Served it up with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots with optional gravy.

Suppin a quick one now watching the football. I'd usually be in the Pub on a night like this or a hotel bar if I was working.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

My fav toastie from my new grill

I found some nice spongey brown seeded bread. Salad tomatoes, spring onion, two slices of Charleville cheese and honey roast ham. All toasted so crispy on the outside, all gooey inside. Touch of light mayo and a squeeze of mustard.
    Yumsters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My fav toastie from my new grill

I found some nice spongey brown seeded bread. Salad tomatoes, spring onion, two slices of Charleville cheese and honey roast ham. All toasted so crispy on the outside, all gooey inside. Touch of light mayo and a squeeze of mustard.
    Yumsters.

On the foreman?

*slides plate over*

On the foreman?

*slides plate over*

Yep, it's handy out. The concoction was eaten ages ago, soz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Made a spicy veg curry yesterday evening, heated up a bit in the pan this morning and then added three whisked eggs for a spicy omelette. Tastiest breakfast I've had in a long while.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Made a spicy veg curry yesterday evening, heated up a bit in the pan this morning and then added three whisked eggs for a spicy omelette. Tastiest breakfast I've had in a long while.

Unusual.

Woking up the last of my hot beef tonight. It's velvetized down to melt in the mouth territory. Green peppers, onions, sliced chillis, slivered carrots, sesame oil, and oyster sauce. Hot as fook and over boiled rice with chips too. Ice cold beers are being had before and after.

Ice cold beer here also (Coors Light) and Aldi honey roast peanuts , the nuts are a bit bland tbh,they're usually much nicer.

Ice cold beer here also (Coors Light) and Aldi honey roast peanuts , the nuts are a bit bland tbh,they're usually much nicer.

Dealz do a nice bag of honey roast peanuts. A no name brand, but they're tasty enough.

Another beer for me. I'm usually attentive and sensible enough during the Mon-Fri routine due to school. It used to be due to "work", but hey feck it for now. Ya need a break from the doom.:D

Had roast venison with all the trimmings earlier this evening and only able for a bowl of this now, Smirnoff and cranberry juice with crushed ice on the side.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

Sunday morning special with tea and toast, good for the day now.

Putting a loin of pork in the oven for a long low heat roast. Threw a few beers in the fridge for later.

I'll tell ya lads, that loin of pork was melt in the mouth. I served it with mash, roasties, peas, carrots and a simple splash of the oul Bisto. I even have leftovers for my lunch tomorrow.:D

IMG-20201011-153436.jpg

Junk food fix from the freezer and some red wine, have an early start tomorrow in pursuit of some venison and then will enjoy the last afternoon of the 2020 fishing season in pursuit of the wild brown trout.

Keeping it real in the hills and valleys of south Kerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Linguine with mushroom bolognese yesterday.
    529113.jpg

Looks tasty s1ippy.

Are you rolling your own Spag? If you have the time it can be very enjoyable and the freshness of your pasta is life changing. In fact once you get in the habit of making your own pasta you won't want to cook any other way. It can be hit and miss at the start but stick with it, very rewarding once you get the hand of it.

Is that bean I see in there? I would be cracking open a bottle of Chianti with that, enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Pasta , sun dried tomato pesto with garlic bread .

A couple of wild brown trout, a meal no money can buy.

Enjoyed with a glass of cold water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Haven't had a freshly caught brown trout in years RG, beautiful fish .

Mam of 4 wrote: »

They are indeed.

That's the last of the fresh ones now for this year, a few in the freezer alright for the odd treat until the season opens again in February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

A couple of wild brown trout, a meal no money can buy.

Enjoyed with a glass of cold water.

Those potatoes!! Wowza!!🀀🀀🀀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Iced latte

Twas far from trout I was reared, being a city boy. I tried it once and once only in a B&B in Ballina, Co. Mayo. The owners were having it for dinner and just before I headed out for pints, they offered me a trout dinner. So I had a go at it. Boiled spuds, veg and real butter. Jaysus, it didn't do it for me. But remember I was reared on fish in batter and deep fried and only graduated to Donegal catch in the last 15 years. :eek:The best I can manage is a decent Cod fillet baked in the oven, once its not full of fecky little bones. That ruins it. Hard to get a fresh cod fillet without them these days. For an island nation we should be fish experts, but my West Brit upbringing destroyed me.:D

As for tonight, I bought an experimental beef invention from a local butcher. I haven't a clue what he called it, but it's goin on the plate with mashed spuds and garden peas.

Just remembered the butcher called it pesto beef. A pepper crust around the edge and pesto somewhere on or inside. I'll update!

Onion Bhajis and hot sauce. Possibly not the best combo peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Had an early dinner today as i was hungry after a trip to town. Wholemeal egg fried rice (boil in the bag) baked asparagus and chicken thighs in a peri peri coating with a sriracha marinade. It was tasty and all that rice really filled a gap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Looks tasty s1ippy.

Are you rolling your own Spag? If you have the time it can be very enjoyable and the freshness of your pasta is life changing. In fact once you get in the habit of making your own pasta you won't want to cook any other way. It can be hit and miss at the start but stick with it, very rewarding once you get the hand of it.

Is that bean I see in there? I would be cracking open a bottle of Chianti with that, enjoy.
    Sacrelige, that's a Ballyhoura mushroom not a falva bean! But yes I did crack a nice Merlot :D to go with my bolognese of non-human mince.

Shamefully I haven't made my own linguine, I can't find durum wheat anywhere. Any recipe IAAM?

s1ippy wrote: »
    Sacrelige, that's a Ballyhoura mushroom not a falva bean! But yes I did crack a nice Merlot :D to go with my bolognese of non-human mince.

Shamefully I haven't made my own linguine, I can't find durum wheat anywhere. Any recipe IAAM?

If you are only beginning on your pasta journey I suggest starting out quite slowly, don't dive in head first into making lentil or bean infused tagliatellen. Get yourself a good quality kit and start using it. But small steps.

I would emphasis initially making your own Pizza base for a month or two. It is remarkably easy and once you get in the habit of handling the semolina and other flour and watering correctly it should give you a good base ( oops ) to move forward with creating your own pasta. Don't bother getting special pizza ovens, this is nonsense. The golden rule when cooking pizza is to cook the baby really hot and for a short amount of time, you basically don't burn it. Pump up your oven to full blast and leave her hot for a good half hour, have her so it slightly worries or concerns you how hot she is. Then in with the Pizza for no more than around 8 minutes. Never over fill a pizza, that is the big mistake, less is more. Once you start making your own you will turn your nose up at Frozen Pizza for thee rest of your life, believe.

Try and not be skimpy with ingredients either. Try to find a decent italian supplier near you and buy off them. Don't get me wrong, you can and should be using the likes of Lidl tinned tomato etc, this is fine. But good decent flours, semolina, lentil and of course bean can only really be got at your local italian deli, they know.

Italian cooking takes time, but it can be very rewarding and is succinctly simple once you get going. Don't sweat over pasta initially, but try to buy the fresh pasta from the fridge in your supermarket as opposed to the dehydrated stuff. It is tastier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Stocked up on some ready meals (i know) for the freezer and lots and lots of garlic bread! I can't wait :pac:

Barry's and sugary donuts for me. Might try the Bonne Maman salted caramel sauce i picked up the other day on the side :D For dipping like, be rude not to!

Hope you stocked up on the barry's as well! :pac:

Deskside with coffee but soon sour dough toast and a cupan tae, the avocado's I brought yesterday are too hard to eat yet.

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Get fishing mam and catch us all a couple each please :pac:

• Advertisement

Very bold this morning. Sausage, hash brown and a fried egg on fried bread.:eek:

As Winter approaches, the time has come to get into some heat food. I made cheesy chilli nachos today. Decent steak mince. Loads of chilli powder, scotch bonnet chilli, onions, red pepper, chopped tomatoes and red kidney beans.

Nachos in the bowl. Mozzarella on top. Dump the chilli over it and then more cheese on top of that. Melt it under the grill.

IMG-20201014-162834.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

Grandeeod wrote: »
    As Winter approaches, the time has come to get into some heat food. I made cheesy chilli nachos today. Decent steak mince. Loads of chilli powder, scotch bonnet chilli, onions, red pepper, chopped tomatoes and red kidney beans.

Nachos in the bowl. Mozzarella on top. Dump the chilli over it and then more cheese on top of that. Melt it under the grill.

IMG-20201014-162834.jpg

That looks gorgeous.

Zanablue wrote: »
    That looks gorgeous.

Its a great dish. Love it.

Up very early today for the get ready for school routine. At 6.15am (way ahead of the game) I had two mini Chocolate chip muffins with some OJ.

Brunch was sausages and chips with wholewheat brown bread. Dinner for Mrs G was some more cheesy chilli nachos again as she loves it. A couple of portions gone into the freezer too. Ms G had a chicken fillet, mash and gravy cooked from scratch. The leftover mash will hang on my dinner plate with mushy peas and a sirloin cooked later. Gravy too.

Having a cold beer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

lamb shanks from Aldi - haven't had them before, heard they were lovely. Potatoe gratin, broccoli and crusty bread with a nice bottle of red wine.

edit: mmm, tasty. although noble locks didn't really like hers. she's fussy, i get leftover lamb shank for lunch tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

cold roast coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Very bold this morning. Sausage, hash brown and a fried egg on fried bread.:eek:

Wot, no black pudding ? There has to be black pudding ! Poached egg, hash brown and black pudding is yum.

Side note, after years struggling and failing with poaching eggs, have finally sorted how to keep the white together . Use a small sandwich/freezer bag, crack the egg into it and tie it closed. Spray with oil first to keep the egg from sticking. Cling film would also work. Pop into boiling water for about two minutes and a nice soft poached egg.

trashcan wrote: »
    Wot, no black pudding ? There has to be black pudding ! Poached egg, hash brown and black pudding is yum.

Side note, after years struggling and failing with poaching eggs, have finally sorted how to keep the white together . Use a small sandwich/freezer bag, crack the egg into it and tie it closed. Spray with oil first to keep the egg from sticking. Cling film would also work. Pop into boiling water for about two minutes and a nice soft poached egg.

I'm actually sick and tired of black pudding over the last few months. Fooking really sick of it.:D I poach eggs in a little rubber container I bought in Homestore and more. Crack the egg into it and place in a pot of boiling water. Few mins and job done. Love a poached egg!

Monkfish and prawn thai green curry with rice and chips. It's a treat every now and again courtesy of the chef that works for the famous hoteliers the Brennan brothers.

Enjoyed with the last of the summer wine that was made from the gorse flowers that grow around the back of our house, there'll be an awful lot more of that wine made next summer with God's holy help.

Went with some spicy spiralled veg (carrot parsnip) mushroom onion, some sweet potato home fries and spicy tofu (first time cooking this at home and think it will be on my weekly shop from now on)
    Washed down with a half pint of dublins finest (tap water)

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    lamb shanks from Aldi - haven't had them before, heard they were lovely. Potatoe gratin, broccoli and crusty bread with a nice bottle of red wine.

edit: mmm, tasty. although noble locks didn't really like hers. she's fussy, i get leftover lamb shank for lunch tomorrow.

Lamb shanks are the food of the God's, what you just had there would be a serious contender for my last meal on death row.

If I ever end up on death row and am offered my choice of my last meal that is.

You get the picture, also I think you could do a lot worse than noble locks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

I'm actually sick and tired of black pudding over the last few months. Fooking really sick of it.:D I poach eggs in a little rubber container I bought in Homestore and more. Crack the egg into it and place in a pot of boiling water. Few mins and job done. Love a poached egg!

He who is sick of black pudding is sick of life :D

That curry looks the job Rows. Can I ask what flavour does the wine have?

That curry looks the job Rows. Can I ask what flavour does the wine have?

It's a bit like a Sauvigon Blanc with a hint of almond/granny smith type flavour to it.

It's a bit like a Sauvigon Blanc with a hint of almond/granny smith type flavour to it.

Oh lovely! Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Does anyone know where i could get some Canola oil? Preferably in Dublin city

Second Friday on the trot for a hot spicy beef dish with rice and maybe some chips too. Homemade. A really great follow up to some ice cold beers which are being supped....starting now.:D

Venison burger and chips with a cold can of Cullen's cider and then a gooey Lidl chocolate doughnut to round it off.

Every muscle in my body is aching from work but I couldn't be happier and I'll be up before dawn tomorrow looking for more venison.

espresso

Dinner time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement