Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post to enter mortgage market

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

this seems like a last ditch attempt to make some money like post phone and all their other services that aren't letter deliveries.

Id be more concerned about who is underwriting them or who they'd sell the loan book to when they get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

this seems like a last ditch attempt to make some money like post phone and all their other services that aren't letter deliveries.

This was first thought too. They seem to be juggling a large number of spin offs and finding it hard to keep the balls all up.
    On a practical level I’m not sure how it would work. Would Mary in the local post office be privy to your mortgage details or would everything be done out of head office.

This was first thought too. They seem to be juggling a large number of spin offs and finding it hard to keep the balls all up.
    On a practical level I’m not sure how it would work. Would Mary in the local post office be privy to your mortgage details or would everything be done out of head office.

id imagine they are underwritten by a large real bank, they put their logo on the letterhead, apply online, maybe meet an advisor in one of the larger city post offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Down here in the shticks Mary's sister Biddy works in the local bank. And her other sister Patsy controls the polling station. Just do your business in another town if ye don't trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭ForestFire

What's wrong with Mary knowing you mortgage details?

At the moment John in the local bank is privy to these details already.

Is John better than Mary?

P. S. I have absolutely no idea who Mary or John are, but if someone's knows them tell them I said hi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

ForestFire wrote: »

P. S. I have absolutely no idea who Mary or John are, but if someone's knows them tell them I said hi.

Get them feckin crunchies out of the car and get this man a mortgage.

ForestFire wrote: »

I always think of post offices as run by locals whereas banks having employees so people from anywhere. Irish people are funny about people knowing their business especially when it comes to land and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

Competition in any market is great. Nobody is going to be forced to have a mortgage with An Post.

Caveat Emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Will this increase stamp duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Won't be lending till 2020, just in time for the next crash like their last effort PostPay with Fortis.

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    Won't be lending till 2020, just in time for the next crash like their last effort PostPay with Fortis.

an post really have a special talent for entering financial markets at the exact wrong time in an investment cycle.

Competition in any market is great. Nobody is going to be forced to have a mortgage with An Post.

Caveat Emptor

Exactly I’ll switch my mortgage to whoever gives the lowest rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I always think of post offices as run by locals whereas banks having employees so people from anywhere.

You would be surprised!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The village post office won't be handling mortgage decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I always think of post offices as run by locals whereas banks having employees so people from anywhere. Irish people are funny about people knowing their business especially when it comes to land and money.

Yes agree I do agree Irish people are strangely over sensitive about these things.

I remember many years ago, at the end of the housing boom, I shared a taxi home with a completely random couple.

They were talking about moving to some other location and selling up their house.

When we got to their estate, I said it looked like a nice area, and asked how much they were looking for the house.

Well the woman got really upset that I would ask such a personnel and private question (granted we were all a bit drunk, and probably assumed I was not really looking to buy)

But I said to her, it's going to be hard to sell a house if you don't let people know how much your looking for it(and it was already, or would have to be advertised, that I could check later myself anyway)

Anyway, back on topic, good to have extra competition and I hope it will be an an post finance product and not just a resell of some other banks products.

I also think we should introduce the SSIA savings product permently to each Irish citizen to avail of once in their life.

This would both incentives saving and help people to save for deposits for first house.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Wonder will it be anything like their currency exchange service.

Where the rate they claim to be live is much higher than the actual forex and thus is effectively exaggerated value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Some people in the country have a strategy of having their accountant, solicitor and bank in 3 different towns, preferably in different counties, if they can.

I find this a very interesting move given that they are semi state. What are others thoughts ?
    https://m.independent.ie/business/small-business/an-post-money-to-take-on-pillar-banks-with-mortgages-by-end-of-2019-37344305.html

They don't have a partner yet. They are talking about undercutting the main banks without knowing what margins their partner will insist on. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Some people in the country have a strategy of having their accountant, solicitor and bank in 3 different towns, preferably in different counties, if they can.

Be like shooting yourself in the foot all that driving

Although I can see it has some merit

Accountants especially I find tend to yap a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Henryhill2 wrote: »

Most accountants I have met struggle to yap to their own shoes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if it's anything like their current account or PostFone, it won't be giving the existing mortgage providers any sleepless nights.

DubCount wrote: »
    Most accountants I have met struggle to yap to their own shoes :D

Not sure which I should be more insulted by :pac: Will confer with my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Whitelabel service from another bank. Will be more expensive you can guarantee that.

Shoehorning a product into an out of date operation is definitely a great idea, muppets.

ED E wrote: »
    Whitelabel service from another bank. Will be more expensive you can guarantee that.

Shoehorning a product into an out of date operation is definitely a great idea, muppets.

What with the way banks are going with staffing/branches An Post with an existing counter staff could do a lot more.

What with the way banks are going with staffing/branches An Post with an existing counter staff could do a lot more.

The banks are doing it to cut costs. If An Post intends to compete with them, An Post will have to cut costs also. The pay cash for everything brigade is dying off. It is debit cards all over the place now.

ED E wrote: »

probably with some crap gimmick like their forex , "A no interest mortgage" with a 9% APR per year administration fee, paid monthly.

Be like shooting yourself in the foot all that driving

Although I can see it has some merit

Most people don't have to visit all of them that often. Furthermore, in the country areas it is easier to drive 30 or 40 miles to a meeting than it is to drive a few miles in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The banks are doing it to cut costs. If An Post intends to compete with them, An Post will have to cut costs also. The pay cash for everything brigade is dying off. It is debit cards all over the place now.

They do have a niche there but it's not going to be mainstream with the prevalence of online and cards.

Post Insurance is very convenient for some ,monthly cash installments at the PO

No doubt there'll be a similar gimmick with the loans to suit some.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

If you thought state owned banks weren't going to enforce repossessions, wait till you see what a toothless semi-state can do!

Absolutely zilch.

Another win for the "can't pay, won't pay" shower.

• Advertisement

If you thought state owned banks weren't going to enforce repossessions, wait till you see what a toothless semi-state can do!

Absolutely zilch.

Another win for the "can't pay, won't pay" shower.

actually quite true, and then muggins over here will be forced to pick up the tab for their free houses in the form of bailing out an post.

Advertisement