Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks at Athy

Options
  • 23-09-2018 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

Athy traffic is a nightmare at the best of times but there have been roadworks for about 2 weeks running from 7am to 8pm making life even worse for anyone who has to go into or out of the town. How long will the roadworks go on?

The town gets worse and worse. It literally has nothing going for it except the roads out of it which are unfortunately blocked these days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Can't seem to get any info other than the distributor road was to be started this September - which will help in the long term.

I don't know if these roadworks are connected to that or if they are to do with the wide scale fibre broadband installation across the town.

Can't get anything definitive off the KCC website.

But sure it gives you a chance to get in another dig aimed at Athy - a town which some of us really enjoy living in and contribute our time and efforts to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Mink wrote: »
    Can't seem to get any info other than the distributor road was to be started this September - which will help in the long term.

I don't know if these roadworks are connected to that or if they are to do with the wide scale fibre broadband installation across the town.

Can't get anything definitive off the KCC website.

But sure it gives you a chance to get in another dig aimed at Athy - a town which some of us really enjoy living in and contribute our time and efforts to improve.

I am not aiming digs at the town, I am stating facts. Traffic in the town is intolerable at best and the road works have only made it worse. This morning traffic was backed up the N78 for half a kilometre at 8am which is lunacy.

There is one thing which would really improve the town. Ban all HGV trucks making unnecessary journeys from going through. Local agricultural traffic has no choice but to go through the town thanks to bad planning but some HGVs seem to use Athy as a short cut. I have a nightmare where either or both the railway bridge and the bridge at Shaws collapse from the volume of traffic.

KCC should give people information so they can make decisions about how they plan their journeys. They have totally f****d up already by not planning these works for the summer when schools were off and fewer people were around, they should give people proper information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I agree the trucks and agricultural vehicles create a huge problem.

I haven't been majorly affected by any of this as I leave before the roadworks start in the morning and I'm out the Monasterevin road so various routes I can take.

The Kildare County Council website is shocking for finding out any info.

I take it you've already tried Google Maps to see if there's a quicker route until the roadworks are finished.

Bear in mind that there's green light to build a Primary Care Centre on the Dublin Road so I don't know if that will affect traffic or not when that comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Mink wrote: »
    I agree the trucks and agricultural vehicles create a huge problem.

I haven't been majorly affected by any of this as I leave before the roadworks start in the morning and I'm out the Monasterevin road so various routes I can take.

The Kildare County Council website is shocking for finding out any info.

I take it you've already tried Google Maps to see if there's a quicker route until the roadworks are finished.

Bear in mind that there's green light to build a Primary Care Centre on the Dublin Road so I don't know if that will affect traffic or not when that comes up.

It's great that they are building a Primary Care Centre on the Dublin Road (old shirt factory from what I hear) and hopefully it will provide some much needed employment. However the town will have to do something about traffic if people aren't to be killed going in and out of there.

This morning 3 heavily laden construction vehicles came flying out of the Circle K (former Topaz) across the road and headed into the town without any thought for traffic coming from the other direction. At least one of them went through the lights at the old model school and into the town.

The roundabout going into the town is lethal - HGVs head straight onto it no matter who is on it or no matter who has right of way.

The town council and chamber of commerce should get together and try to find a way to stop HGVs that have no business in the town going through the town. Or levy a toll on them going through if that can be done. That toll would go nicely towards paying for the new distributor road.

Advertisement