Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome now saying you have to install Flash

Options
  • 23-09-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Whats goin on lads:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Sounds dodge. What site?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Flash is on the way out. Adobe is killing Flash in 2020, and browsers are (slowly) removing support until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

verycool wrote: »
    Sounds dodge. What site?

Not sure what you mean, I just open chrome browser and in google I just type rteplayer and then click on the rteplayer link and press start to view a video and then it says I need Flash. Tried it a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean, I just open chrome browser and in google I just type rteplayer and then click on the rteplayer link and press start to view a video and then it says I need Flash. Tried it a few times.

Well, looks like you need to install flash! :pac:

(screenshot below taken from my attempt to get rte player going)

v9Rbtjm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rte requires flash
    https://www.rte.ie/info/liveplayerfaq.html
    That is why Chrome ask for flash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I still need Flash for an old game site. Since latest Chrome update, I have to go into chrome settings and set it to Allow to run flash after each boot. It's getting to be annoying now. And also, flash used to prompt for an update but now it just keeps giving me administrator errors. ARRRRGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,554 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

FanadMan wrote: »
    I still need Flash for an old game site. Since latest Chrome update, I have to go into chrome settings and set it to Allow to run flash after each boot. It's getting to be annoying now. And also, flash used to prompt for an update but now it just keeps giving me administrator errors. ARRRRGH!

I have the same issue.
    Chrome updated and now if I use the RTE player or the 4od player I have to click allow before the video will play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Chrome didn't update itself in the last few days did it? The newest version doesn't remember Flash settings from the previous version, I presume so you have to explicitly allow Flash to remind you you're doing it. Flash is on the way out so not a bad idea, might encourage adoption of HTML5.

Another update, more stuff not working. Hogging huge resources. Time to find new browser I think. 13 chrome processes running for two tabs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If you click the (!) to the left of the web address, it'll show the an option for flash.
    Ask
    Allow
    Block

This is the same for any site. You now have more control over what runs on any page you go to.

c6eDUFr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Opera browser is better alternative in terms of not hogging resources. Always runs faster for me on my ageing desktop anyway.

Will be glad to see the end of flash...just updating it alone is a pain.

verycool wrote: »
    Well, looks like you need to install flash! :pac:

(screenshot below taken from my attempt to get rte player going)

v9Rbtjm.png

That is what I got and today I decided to click 'allow' and the video played fine and at least I don't have to have flash installed on my pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Any website still using flash has some seriously cheap and or lazy owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

lawred2 wrote: »
    Any website still using flash has some seriously cheap and or lazy owners

Not a bad description of RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

danjo-xx wrote: »
    That is what I got and today I decided to click 'allow' and the video played fine and at least I don't have to have flash installed on my pc.
    You do and always did before, Chrome just handles it for you.

TheChizler wrote: »
    You do and always did before, Chrome just handles it for you.

Chrome never asked me to allow or not allow flash until now, it never mentioned flash at all, thats what I liked about it.

Looks like flash isn't brown bread yet for some reason.

Advertisement