Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council neighbours causing problems

Options
  • 23-09-2018 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for advice so please help.

We live in a fairly nice estate for about 10 years, we moved in and found out our neighbours are council/social housing. Not an issue and to be fair most things were pretty amicable.

However in the last year things have deteriorated and I won't go into detail bar our current problem.

They have a dog,previously it was at the end of their garden and in all honesty this wasn't an issue, we love animals and have our own pets(not outside) but they have recently moved it too the side of their house which Is between us,the dog has no stopped barking,it barks at delivery drivers,post men,kids etc.

This isn't even a problem however until our our toddler is going to bed,the dog has her terrified of sleep, she has a panic attack being put to bed,if we try to leave etc,eventually when we get her asleep and the dog barks she's awoken and basically falls down the stairs in fear trying to find us.

We've broached the neighbours about this but unfortunately their attitude is their dog their rules and they want it there no matter what.

Now why I say this is because of their situation, their family dynamic us to be 2 adults and 4 kids in a council house, it is now 2 adults, 2 kids,2 adult kids with income and 1 with a child. The father also does nixers every week etc

I know they havent informed the council of the change in their situation as they never did before of their circumstances and I would doubt the would now.

As someone who broached them decently to resolve an issue,would I be wrong to report the fact that 4 adults live in a house on social housing with multiple incomes?

Any advice pro/con is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving to A&P, as I think it’s a bit better suited there than PI.

With regard to the continuously barking dog, you could contact the local dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sexmag wrote:
    As someone who broached them decently to resolve an issue,would I be wrong to report the fact that 4 adults live in a house on social housing with multiple incomes?

I can't see this helping your issue with the dog tbh. It might make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Stopped reading after the thread title.

How snobbish.

So your neighbors dog is barking & you want to report them to social welfare & council housing section?
    I don't see what their circumstances as regards working/not working etc has to do with a dog barking?

Just address the issue, you can report noise to the environmental section of the local council if I remember correctly.
    Maybe ask the dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Dogs are a feckin' nightmare. Personally I'd see the licence be much stricter but then I digress. Your only recourse is through the District Court. The DC may make an order telling them to control the animal which I'm sure isn't getting walked. It may be enough to get them to cop on. Constant calls to the council would be my other way of dealing with it and I mean find someone and deal with them daily, show up at the coucil offices/department and basically become the bain, polite bain, but bain nonetheless of someone's life.

One thing to check though is they don't have likeminded friends on the estate, if they do your life could be made a living hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

bubblypop wrote: »
    So your neighbors dog is barking & you want to report them to social welfare & council housing section?
    I don't see what their circumstances as regards working/not working etc has to do with a dog barking?

Just address the issue, you can report noise to the environmental section of the local council if I remember correctly.
    Maybe ask the dog warden.

Because if they're not working the feckers can take proper care of their animal at the absolutle least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Sorry just to advise, they had other dogs before, 1 died in their shed during the bad winter recently, I'm only saying because I've no issue with dogs but because we've tried every avenue and to maybe paint a better picture

Allinall wrote: »
    Stopped reading after the thread title.

How snobbish.

Frankly that's your own bias. OP is not being snobbish in the least. I live on a mixed estate and it's rarely the private owners that are home all day or cuaing issues with their 'pets'. Read animal they got and then got bored with 5 sdeconds after it stopped being a puppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If they won't play ball then I'd do whatever it took to.solve the problem. If getting them for something else is what it takes then so be it.

• Advertisement

.One thing to check though is they don't have likeminded friends on the estate, if they do your life could be made a living hell.

To be fair they are the only ones here but the dog is an issue and it's only constant when someone approaches, it's being a dog so we can't fault it but at night when our child's can't sleep until 12 and is woken constantly through out the night it's a problem, will the council even care?

sexmag wrote: »
    To be fair they are the only ones here but the dog is an issue and it's only constant when someone approaches, it's being a dog so we can't fault it but at night when our child's can't sleep until 12 and is woken constantly through out the night it's a problem, will the council even care?

You have to make them care. Report them for everything you can think of. Make sure you're also tackling it dirtectly by keeping a log and persuing them through the DC. It's a standard form, service instructions included and it won't cost much to get a court date. Perfectly possible to do it as a lay litigant. Luckily my background and who I work for got our local ****wit to cop on.

A higher risk strategy if you're sure you're not going to incur the wrath of people with time on their hands is explain in no uncertain terms that thery shut the dog up or you'll be reporting them for everything and hope it get's them to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

<snip>

Mod Note
    Cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I’ve never owned one but do those ultrasonic devices work? If they did the OP could get a cheap Lidl/Aldi outdoor waterproof socket box and keep the ultrasonic anti dog barking device plugged in 24/7.

Thanks for all your advice.

My main question is though,am I wrong to report what I believe to be social welfare fraud?

If they are honest then there's nothing to worry about.

If not then well.....

My main question is though,am I wrong to report what I believe to be social welfare fraud?

If not then well.....

You're always right to report suspect social walfare fraud. Frankly I'd use it a leverage if you're sure, but that's me. The proper thing to do is make a report regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

You're always right to report suspect social walfare fraud. Frankly I'd use it a leverage if you're sure, but that's me. The proper thing to do is make a report regardless.

Are you actually suggesting blackmail as a course of action?

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Expect this problem to get a lot worse op as the council are buying up properties in all sorts of housing estates. Sadly a lot of nice estates are becoming ghettos with people who do not want to work and can use the system that they don’t have to.
    Sure don’t they get money to have a dog.

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Expect this problem to get a lot worse op as the council are buying up properties in all sorts of housing estates. Sadly a lot of nice estates are becoming ghettos with people who do not want to work and can use the system that they don’t have to.
    Sure don’t they get money to have a dog.

Yeah because all people on social housing own dogs and just want to wreck the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sexmag wrote:

Definitely not wrong to support social welfare fraud. Your reasoning behind it is questionable though imo

• Advertisement

If not then well.....

Well, I think if you want to report welfare fraud, because you think it's wrong, then yes you should. Absolutely.
    It appears you weren't so worried about welfare fraud until their dog was constantly barking. Which is a bit bad imo, but if you're happy with that then go for it.
    Not sure the social welfare will sort out your barking dog problem though....

Yeah because all people on social housing own dogs and just want to wreck the gaff.

Sadly it’s the truth, we sub contract a lot of work from the council and believe me the state some tenants leave a house a bunch of pigs wouldn’t be as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Are you actually suggesting blackmail as a course of action?

Leverage, not blackmail. If they are breaking the law thats their problem, not the OPs. Right now the dog is the OPs problem and if that conversation sorts the problem then happy days.

aaakev wrote: »
    Leverage, not blackmail. If they are breaking the law thats their problem, not the OPs. Right now the dog is the OPs problem and if that conversation sorts the problem then happy days.

Your a right plonker if you think that conversation will sort out the dog problem. It will destroy any sort of relationship they have and will make the situation much much worse. You might quiten the dog but you'll have a neighbour who is going to be waiting to get you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Your a right plonker if you think that conversation will sort out the dog problem. It will destroy any sort of relationship they have and will make the situation much much worse. You might quiten the dog but you'll have a neighbour who is going to be waiting to get you back.

Does it sound to you like there is a relationship to destroy? He tried talking already and they didnt give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

sexmag wrote:
    This isn't even a problem however until our our toddler is going to bed,the dog has her terrified of sleep, she has a panic attack being put to bed,if we try to leave etc,eventually when we get her asleep and the dog barks she's awoken and basically falls down the stairs in fear trying to find us.

If I were you I'd focus on helping your daughter with her anxiety issues rather than trying to get your neighbours evicted.

rawn wrote: »
    If I were you I'd focus on helping your daughter with her anxiety issues rather than trying to get your neighbours evicted.

Trust me we tried, we've tried a tablet with white noise to try and drown out the sound but it's ineffective,my toddler still hears the dog and as soon as it barks give it 5 seconds and she's pounding down the the stairs to try and find us to concert her and she isn't afraid of dogs,her grandad has dogs,it's the noise of the dogs bark in the night

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds almost fantastical ,

Crying baby

Barking dog

Dead dog

Council tenants over crowding and possible fraud

Gatling wrote: »
    Sounds almost fantastical ,

Crying baby

Barking dog

Dead dog

Council tenants over crowding and possible fraud

Eviction

Council employ contractor to sort property out

Me deal with dag shiit, wrecked property.

• Advertisement

Because if they're not working the feckers can take proper care of their animal at the absolutle least.

But they are working, according to the op.
    OP just presumes they haven't told council that they are.

Advertisement