Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council neighbours causing problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you are going to report them don't under any circumstances threaten them with that beforehand as leverage.

They sound like dicks so I would have no qualms about reporting it. At the same time, don't expect it to improve your situation. Dept of social protection will be interested but the council won't be in a hurry to evict them as they will still have to find them a new home

Also get a gate for the top of the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

They left an animal outside to freeze to death is the worst part of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

OP contacting DSP could make life very difficult in the future. Even if fraud was proved these type of people dont care.

Get an anti-bark device.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

bubblypop wrote: »
    But they are working, according to the op.
    OP just presumes they haven't told council that they are.

Cash jobs and drawing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

sexmag wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice.

My main question is though,am I wrong to report what I believe to be social welfare fraud?

If they are honest then there's nothing to worry about.

If not then well.....

It's your civic duty to report them for welfare fraud. If they are guilty they are effectively stealing from the taxpayer. If they aren't then they have nothing to fear from an investigation. You should not let them know you are doing it. You can pass the information on to the authorities anonymously.

As to the dog there isn't much you can do. I've seen that situation in the past. You can get the ISPCA and Council and Dog Warden and Guards and at the end of a process taking months if not years nothing will be done. Often the dog will have matured and become less likely to bark before any of the officials get around to making a decision. There are supposed to be ultrasonic devices you can buy to stop dogs barking. I'm not sure how effective they are especially at long range but they might be your best bet as a stop gap while you wait to see if they get turfed out for welfare fraud.

• Advertisement

Surely these devices are cruel to animals? It’s not the dogs fault it’s barking. It is it’s owners who are molesting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

They sound like absolute scum those neighbours.
    Best bet is to move out, these vermin know the law and will make life miserable, typical that the scum have 4 kids and don't work, people like that should just be sterilised when they are born.

Scum that gives nothing to society and only holds progress back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm actually surprised that no-one has mentioned a third party complaint to the RTB?
    The Residential Tenancies Board is the normal body for hearing issues with neighbours who are renting.
    The issues with their change in circumstances etc- is not relevant.
    The dog with his/her incessant barking- is.
    In addition- the local authority warden and housing officer- both need to be made aware of the issue too.

If you want to go down the road of focusing on them abusing the social welfare system- that is an entirely different kettle of fish- please don't confuse the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Just for a change of tack in the responses, is it possible to switch the toddlers bedroom to another quieter room in the house, further away from the barking dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Trust me we tried, we've tried a tablet with white noise to try and drown out the sound but it's ineffective,my toddler still hears the dog and as soon as it barks give it 5 seconds and she's pounding down the the stairs to try and find us to concert her and she isn't afraid of dogs,her grandad has dogs,it's the noise of the dogs bark in the night

Could you move the child into a different room where the barking might not be audible to her, with white noise etc also? Until such time as a solution is found to the barking.

It will probably take time to resolve the barking issue. I would try the dog warden approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Thanks for all your advice.

My main question is though,am I wrong to report what I believe to be social welfare fraud?

If they are honest then there's nothing to worry about.

If not then well.....

No, it is your duty. I despise these lazy cheating people. Pick up the phone and enjoy the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Report them. Even if there was no dog issue, report them.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Hi I'm looking for advice so please help.

We live in a fairly nice estate for about 10 years, we moved in and found out our neighbours are council/social housing. Not an issue and to be fair most things were pretty amicable.

However in the last year things have deteriorated and I won't go into detail bar our current problem.

They have a dog,previously it was at the end of their garden and in all honesty this wasn't an issue, we love animals and have our own pets(not outside) but they have recently moved it too the side of their house which Is between us,the dog has no stopped barking,it barks at delivery drivers,post men,kids etc.

This isn't even a problem however until our our toddler is going to bed,the dog has her terrified of sleep, she has a panic attack being put to bed,if we try to leave etc,eventually when we get her asleep and the dog barks she's awoken and basically falls down the stairs in fear trying to find us.

We've broached the neighbours about this but unfortunately their attitude is their dog their rules and they want it there no matter what.

Now why I say this is because of their situation, their family dynamic us to be 2 adults and 4 kids in a council house, it is now 2 adults, 2 kids,2 adult kids with income and 1 with a child. The father also does nixers every week etc

I know they havent informed the council of the change in their situation as they never did before of their circumstances and I would doubt the would now.

As someone who broached them decently to resolve an issue,would I be wrong to report the fact that 4 adults live in a house on social housing with multiple incomes?

Any advice pro/con is appreciated
    Haven’t read any other answers so I don’t know if this has come up already but the council would definitely know the children are now adults and on the 18th birthday they increase the charge until the tenant rectifies it by either showing the child is still in education or produce payslips. I know that because I’m a council tenant and have 2 adult children. Also please don’t tar all council tenants with the one brush it’s very disheartening to read when most of us aren’t like the person the op is complaining about - we all work except for the one child in college and one in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I’ve never owned one but do those ultrasonic devices work? If they did the OP could get a cheap Lidl/Aldi outdoor waterproof socket box and keep the ultrasonic anti dog barking device plugged in 24/7.
    There's a good chance that it'll affect the child as well.

=-=

OP; don't talk to them, don't threaten them, just report any infraction you see, and see if it get's handled.
    Also get a gate for the top of the stairs
    Although it should be a good idea, fear may make the kid try to get over it.

Moving the kid to another room, as has been suggested, may be a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Why does your toddler have access to the stairs? Why do you not have a child gate in place to prevent her falling down the stairs?

If she's having a panic attack when she hears barking then this is the problem you need to address. That is not a normal, healthy reaction. Trying to drown the sound out with white noise is not
    enough. You may need to consider professional intervention for her anxiety.

Oh, and BTW, working and living in a council house are not mutually exclusive. I don't know why you think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the_syco wrote: »
    There's a good chance that it'll affect the child as well.

They affect me too. Shopping centre nearby has one and drive me nuts whilst my partner is blissfully unaware. We’re both in our 30’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Just for a change of tack in the responses, is it possible to switch the toddlers bedroom to another quieter room in the house, further away from the barking dog?

I'm getting the impression from a lot of posters they have never lived beside a mistreated dog that barks all day and night.

That dog is probably pissing off his neighbours 3 and 4 doors down. The sharp loud noise at night will constantly wake any light sleeper within 100 meters in all directions.

I would put money on the fact that the dog was put into the side passage because the owners got pissed off with the barking coming directly through the back windows enough to wake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Why does your toddler have access to the stairs? Why do you not have a child gate in place to prevent her falling down the stairs?

If she's having a panic attack when she hears barking then this is the problem you need to address. That is not a normal, healthy reaction. Trying to drown the sound out with white noise is not
    enough. You may need to consider professional intervention for her anxiety.

Oh, and BTW, working and living in a council house are not mutually exclusive. I don't know why you think they are.

First off, i asked for pros and cons of a question, not critical responses regarding our parenting. If you see the forum is accomodation and property,not parenting

Secondly my toddler is quite capiable of managing the stairs herself and has been for a long time, however in instances where she is scared of the barking she hardly makes it to the stairs before my partner or i are there to comfort her.

Thirdly maybe panic attack is not what she is epxeriencing however she is terrified of the dog, as most toddlers are with one thing or another monsters under beds etc.

Fourthly, my question is regards the dynamic of the people working and claiming in the house which would not be delcared to the SW.

Thanks for your response:)

I would like to thank everyone for their reponses, theyve helped give some guidance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm getting the impression from a lot of posters they have never lived beside a mistreated dog that barks all day and night.

That dog is probably pissing off his neighbours 3 and 4 doors down. The sharp loud noise at night will constantly wake any light sleeper within 100 meters in all directions.

I would put money on the fact that the dog was put into the side passage because the owners got pissed off with the barking coming directly through the back windows enough to wake them.

We live in an old council estate, well used to dogs barking at night. The back of the house is quieter hence the suggestion.

Doesn't help if our own dog barks in the house though! It's very rare she barks, only if we forget to block her view of the backyard with the couch before going to bed, cats wandering the backyard at night are about the only thing that will trigger her.
    She doesn't get startled by noises or other dogs barking outside.

I empathise with the OP however, it's not an issue for adults etc who could just wear ear plugs, it's far more difficult for a toddler.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    We live in an old council estate, well used to dogs barking at night. The back of the house is quieter hence the suggestion.

Doesn't help if our own dog barks in the house though! It's very rare she barks, only if we forget to block her view of the backyard with the couch before going to bed, cats wandering the backyard at night are about the only thing that will trigger her.
    She doesn't get startled by noises or other dogs barking outside.

I empathise with the OP however, it's not an issue for adults etc who could just wear ear plugs, it's far more difficult for a toddler.

like i said it wasnt even an issue when the dog was at the end of the garden but since its been put to the side of the house the noise just resonates and echos up the houses and is louder than normal.

Im sorry if my spelling is bad or come across as grouchy, as you can imgaine we didnt get much sleep last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Tow

Would I be wrong to report the fact that 4 adults live in a house on social housing with multiple incomes?

I am not sure what you are reporting them for?
    Once someone has a Council House they effectively have it for life. The trick is to put a child on the tenancy so they can 'inherit' after the parents die. While it does happens, it takes a lot to get thrown out of one. A barking dog is does not even register. The worse that can happen the the council re assessed their income and they pay little bit more in rent.

The problem is the child has become over sensitive to the barking, probably initially picked up from the parent's. They will probably grow out of it, unless your actions reinforce the behavior.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Tow wrote: »
    Once someone has a Council House they effectively have it for life. The trick is to put a child on the tenancy so they can 'inherit' after the parents die. While it does happens, it takes a lot to get thrown out of one. A barking dog is does not even register. The worse that can happen the the council re assessed their income and they pay little bit more in rent.

The problem is the child has become over sensitive to the barking, probably initially picked up from the parent's. They will probably grow out of it, unless your actions reinforce the behavior.

There is no trick to put a child on the tenancy - if the child lives there they must be on the tenancy. If they don’t live there and they have the person down as living there they must provide a statement of income every year for the rent to be assessed properly so they will be paying for someone to live there regardless of whether they do or not. If you are not on the lease and if the tenant dies they must vacate the property or the council will backdate the rent to as long as the inheritor is claiming they live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Tow wrote: »

You could try and get the toddler used to barking. I deliberately kept my daughter in close proximity to as much noise as possible as an infant. Our dog could be barking his head off and she wouldn't have noticed. This was always inside the house. I don't approve of dogs being kept outside in built up areas.

Anyway I'm sure there's an app with loud dog barking sounds or on YouTube. You could make a fun happy game out of it to desensitise her. Best of luck, hell is other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I'd love you to report them because it makes me feel better but it may not be the best for you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really dont agree with those shock collars for training....neither do the ISPCA
    http://www.thejournal.ie/shock-collars-ireland-3829002-Feb2018/

Grawns wrote: »
    You could try and get the toddler used to barking. I deliberately kept my daughter in close proximity to as much noise as possible as an infant. Our dog could be barking his head off and she wouldn't have noticed. This was always inside the house. I don't approve of dogs being kept outside in built up areas.

Anyway I'm sure there's an app with loud dog barking sounds or on YouTube. You could make a fun happy game out of it to desensitise her. Best of luck, hell is other people.

This is terrible advice, bad parenting by you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Dog warden would be the first place I would go. Had to do it before to a neighbor, dog warden called in and the owners did try to stop the dog barking for a couple of months. They couldn't stop him so they got rid of the dog. Felt bad but, its not that hard to train a dog not to bark all day long at nothing when its a puppy.
    Unfortunately he owner knew we reported them (not sure how) and they tried to find the bad in everything we done and report it. It was a bit petty as nothing ever came of the reports they were silly.
    I would try sort it between yourselves before reporting them as it will just make things a lot worse. Maybe try talking to them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

like i said it wasnt even an issue when the dog was at the end of the garden but since its been put to the side of the house the noise just resonates and echos up the houses and is louder than normal.

Im sorry if my spelling is bad or come across as grouchy, as you can imgaine we didnt get much sleep last night

A barking dog is the worst noise there is at night.

BUt often it will be stopped by a formal letter to the people, advising them that it is causing a nuisance, and that unless it is stopped, you will take them to Court. ( the letter will be part of that process)

Court costs i think E20. No need for solicitors... see

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

Often that letter will be enough; add the report to the Dog warden.

Been there, don e that and it was the Court threat that worked .

Best of luck....

Advertisement