Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic weed killer for around vegetables

Options
  • 23-09-2018 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know a recipe for a homemade one or a brand name for a shop bought one that I can use around vegetables?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There is only one proper organic weed killer - your hands and knees (okay that's four)! :D

Other methods are salt, white vinegar and hot soapy water sure you can buy stuff that's sold as organic but I've no idea how good they are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can use mulch (lots of it, just leaving gaps for the veggies) or those black sheets sold for that purpose. Something that would block out the light would do great, even large cardboards that would eventually break down into the soil.

You could also ring one of the many organic producers and ask them what they do. For instance, https://www.theorganiccentre.ie/ might be able to give you some pointers. (no affiliation)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There is only one proper organic weed killer - your hands and knees (okay that's four)! :D

Other methods are salt, white vinegar and hot soapy water sure you can buy stuff that's sold as organic but I've no idea how good they are.

Except for mares tail which I read shouldn’t be pulled?

Probably should have said that it doesn’t necessarily have to be organic, just want something that’s safe to use around veg, should have said that really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It depends on how friendly you are with them. :pac: :D

If you mean equisetum, it's great when left to macerate in water and used as a fertiliser (just like nettles). It does stink to high heaven, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

vicwatson wrote: »
    Except for mates* tail which I read shouldn’t be pulled?

Mares* ahem. The other is something else entirely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Should have called it by it’s other name - horses tail :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You will find nothing remotely safe for a veg patch that will kill mares tail, it’s a very hard weed to control.

You can definitely pull it, just burn what you pull rather than dumping or composting it.

Advertisement