Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ssd enclosure

Options
  • 23-09-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi.
    I picked up a 2.5ssd internal hard drive on bargain alerts
    looking to pick up an enclosure to use it as a external hard drive.
    afraid I will get one for a hdd
    any suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Satechi do one its cheap and USB c if that's any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

I'm afraid it's all a bit over my head.
    I put a hdd in an enclosure before but a ssd is new tech for me.
    it's going to be a external drive for my daughters laptop at college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

2.5 inch is standard that define external measurements, even its called after disk platter size. SSD, depending on brand, might come slimmer than 2.5 HDD, but usually should be supplied with adapter(additional plastic frame to gain thickness.)

SATA is also standard - connectors and their position also defined and will match SSD or HDD

Any enclosure designed to accommodate 2.5 inch drive will take SSD as well as HDD. What you need to be aware of: USB2 vs USB3 - this standard define data transfer speed. USB Type-C is type of connector(shape), not necessary defining data speed(it still can be USB2 standard)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

shovel wrote: »
    I'm afraid it's all a bit over my head.
    I put a hdd in an enclosure before but a ssd is new tech for me.
    it's going to be a external drive for my daughters laptop at college.

I got this

SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB Sata III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Up to 535 MB/s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F9G46Q8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BpkQBb3X53744

from bargain alerts, is it the same one? Either way this should work,

Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

It fits grand and I haven't had any problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I did away with the dvd drive in my laptop (never use it) and used a hdd caddy in its place. Meant that I could use a second hdd or ssd in the laptop. Is less to carry around.

Something like this https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ultrabay-2nd-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420i-T510-W510-T520/390684905391?hash=item5af6a28faf:g:Mw4AAOxyBXNSZzVw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

That is smart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

That is smart

I only picked that ebay result ^^ cos it was the first in the search. There are a lot more at cheaper prices.

It looks ugly though.....unless you get one designed for your laptop model. I wasn't that worried about the look so got the cheapest one and ripped the facia off it.

Advertisement