Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europlex SigNet 100 - PSTN/alert questions

Options
  • 23-09-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

Some questions on the Europlex Signet 100, if someone would be so kind (and knowledgeable) to answer them!

I've had one installed since early 2010, set up to send SMS alerts to 3 numbers.

Noticed some time ago that the SMS no longer came in when the alarm was triggered (always by accident, thankfully).

Started to look into it today. I had always thought that I had a GSM module (with SIM) which took care of the SMS alerts (as I remember requesting that the landline not be used in case I ever decided to cancel it). But, upon looking at the control panel today, it's actually a PSTN module that is fiited, along with a WRM module... No sign of SIM card...

Bit confused now as to how this was working in first place.

There is some twisted pair connected to PSTN module, but without tracing this through attic, I'm unsure of where it's going. Signet control panel is at opposite corner of house to where the PSTN landline comes in.

- Is it possible that the PSTN module and WRM somehow work in conjunction, and sent alerts to the eircom Fixed Line SMS service without using my landline?

- If no, it must be the case that the PSTN module somehow connects back to my landline? Therefore, what is the WMA device there for?

- LED D3 is not lit, indicating that no Carrier Signal is detected. My phone line should be OK, although all is it used for now is DSL/broadband.

- Could the reason the SMS alerts have stopped be because eircom have stood down their Fixed Line SMS service?

- If so, is there a replacement service which would work with the above Signet system?

Sorry for all the novice questions. I'm keen to get this alarm sending alerts again, if possible, and any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    MMM

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It sounds like your alarm was using the PSTN line for texts & has stopped because this service in no longer available.
    One option would be to replace the PSTN dialler with a GSM which would also give you remote control via text also.
    Another option would be to replace the Signet PCB with an SPC4320 that would give you IP connection & alerts & remote control via SPC Connect app.
    Much more up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mean mr mustard

Thanks for response.

If it is connected back to landline somehow, should it not show the Carrier detect LED on?
    And what is the function of the WRM module in this scenario?

I'll look into both options below.. any way I can tackle them myself without paying for a call out? I don't have engineer code currently..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can you post a pic of the set up with the wrm module.?

See attached.

PSTN Modem Rev A1 fitted, with blue and white twisted pair terminated... from where - I do not know.

WRM Rev A1 (R1.4 V12) fitted underneath it - not sure what it does with this setup.

Thats a wireless receiver for wireless devices. Nothing to do with modem or monitoring.

• Advertisement

Thanks Koolkid.. maybe the WRM is included as standard.. I dunno. I know I don't have any wireless PIR's or sensors fitted.

So, it looks like the PSTN connects back to my landline somehow.. it's likely the electrician wired it in when running the cables for the PIR's.

Which brings me back to my original problem. Looks like I either purchase a GSM module and SIM, or go with an upgrade to the Siemens solution. Would I need to contact the alarm company for both of these?

Or you could have a go yourself if your up to a challenge.

Advertisement