Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry wine - yeasty taste/smell

Options
  • 24-09-2018 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Opened a bottle of last year's (Sept 2017) blackberry wine last night and it has a really yeasty smell and taste. Undrinkable. :( Never had this problem before!
    Any ideas please folks as to the possible cause?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Did you rack the wine when it was conditioning? Also did you use campden tablets?
    Made a plum wine earlier this year for the first time and when reading about it these were 2 steps that would help get rid of yeasty/sulphery smells.

I'd suggest adding a campden tablet and leaving for a week or so to see if it takes the smell away but your wine is already in bottles and that might not be practical.

Useful article here on some possible causes -
    https://blog.eckraus.com/yeasty-smell-in-wine

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Thanks for that link.
    I definitely racked the wine. I never use campden tablets.
    I reckon, from that article, that the yeast might have been past its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

no worries, glad to help. I've had stuck beer fermentations before using old yeast so have got into the habit of chucking yeast that goes past it's sell by date.

Advertisement