Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Hurley" grip

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Patww79 wrote: »
    Playing hurling, I think anyway but I'm starting to doubt it now.

I was left on top for hurling on golf but I was always scandalously bad at both.

Some right handed hurlers (right hand on top) are stronger hitting off of their left hand side. This leads onlookers (and I may me wrong here)to believe that these are left handed.
    Don't get me wrong there are exceptions but from a young age we coach youngsters to use there dominant hand at the top of the hurley.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Are you seriously saying that in hurling every player should have the right hand on top regardless of their dexterity? That's just not true and if this was coached at underage level would end up with 90% of left handers giving up the game before they reach the age of 12.

Should every darts player throw darts with his right hand too?
    Yes I am. No they don't as they get used to it very quickly and adapt but again I will say some chose to go back to left hand on top.
    I am right handed who played hurling but my left side was stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

Keano wrote: »
    Yes I am. No they don't as they get used to it very quickly and adapt but again I will say some chose to go back to left hand on top.
    I am right handed who played hurling but my left side was stronger!

Well you're wrong. Dominant hand goes on top, that's your left hand for left handed players.

Why would left handers not put their dominant hand on top? (in hurling)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

bren2001 wrote: »
    Well you're wrong. Dominant hand goes on top, that's your left hand for left handed players.

Why would left handers not put their dominant hand on top? (in hurling)
    We can disagree but point out to me how many in the modern game play with left hand on top? I'd say less than 2% and they are for sure many more left handed but they were thought, right hand on top

plumber77 wrote: »
    Looks like no definitive answers in regard to this.

I would have always thought(traditionally of course there are exceptions)
    Right handed Hurler - right hand on top
    Left handed Hurler - left hand on top

Opposite hand on top then for a classic golf grip.

Excluding exceptions and using orthodox techniques you are 100% correct. I've actually thought that if I was to take up the game in the morning that it would be more natural to play golf left handed as a fella who played hurling right handed.

My young fella is left handed and I have been teaching him golf right handed as I think it will be to his advantage in the future (for many reasons)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

We can disagree but point out to me how many in the modern game play with left hand on top? I'd say less than 2% and they are for sure many more left handed but they were thought, right hand on top

Paudie Maher and Bonner Maher. 2 off the top of my head. Not sure of other counties.

TJ Reid i think as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'll name as many as you want. Any coaching course I've been on has agreed with me. Whats your logic for left handed players not to have their dominant hand on top?

We are going off topic :)

But kids will start swapping hands too much on the hurley when the go left hand on top.

2% is a guess I presume? Were you expecting a 50/50 split between righties and lefties? Less than 10% of the population is left handed. Maybe that's why you perceive that 98% use a right handed grip. Maybe 98% actually do use a right handed grip but I can tell you that is not because left handers are converted into right handers.

Bonner maher, jj delaney, Lar, Joe Deane......... i could go on and on

• Advertisement

We are going off topic :)

But kids will start swapping hands too much on the hurley when the go left hand on top.

No they wont. They will do what they have always done which is (in most cases) play with their dominant hand on top which is the way they will have been coached since they took up the sport as 5/6 year olds

All fantastic hurlers. The point I am getting at is yes if they want to leave there strong hand on top do but kids tend to try catch the ball with their left hand as that is their strongest and that causes all sorts of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm never letting my kids hold a hurl. No way they are gonna be learning how to golf wrong!

Rikand wrote: »
    I'm never letting my kids hold a hurl. No way they are gonna be learning how to golf wrong!

Probably a wise decision.

"Location: Monksland, CO. ROSCOMMON!!!!!"
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

As a hurler for 20 odd years and a golfer for 12, this thread has hurt my brain and keano, you've lost the run of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Glebee

Im totally confused after reading this.

I write with my right hand but golf / hurl on my left side. Stronger right hand always on top. No way could I put weaker left hand on top.

My son writes with his left hand but golfs / hurls on his right hand side. Stronger left hand always on top.

Messed up family...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus - didn't know it was so controversial.

I may have considered a Dublinism a well known expression -

He plays with the "hurley grip" is used as an Irish expression for cack handed

Most people who use this expression basically believe it is the wrong way to play.

There was one explanation above on wrist action (complicated enough)

In my own mind from trying it - I found it hard to release aggressive , the right hand has the most distance to travel (on a larger radius) and the most work to do at the fastest velocity. So it felt right for it to be my right hand.

Now it could be just because I'm right handed - I felt that way.

Total amateur analysis above.

Most guys playing this way are rarely low golfers. You never see a pro do it. Except some odd ball one.

By the way - if you look up the Etymology of cack handed (excrement) - I think we should stick to the more pleasant Hurley / Hurler grip.

He is never going to take golf too serious - but was thinking if I should show him the " right " way.
    He has played hurling all his life. Ireland unusual like that I imagine? - guys taken up golf with a very ingrained grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Jaysus - didn't know it was so controversial.

I may have considered a Dublinism a well known expression -

He plays with the "hurley grip" is used as an Irish expression for cack handed

Most people who use this expression basically believe it is the wrong way to play.

There was one explanation above on wrist action (complicated enough)

In my own mind from trying it - I found it hard to release aggressive , the right hand has the most distance to travel (on a larger radius) and the most work to do at the fastest velocity. So it felt right for it to be my right hand.

Now it could be just because I'm right handed - I felt that way.

Total amateur analysis above.

Most guys playing this way are rarely low golfers. You never see a pro do it. Except some odd ball one.

By the way - if you look up the Etymology of cack handed (excrement) - I think we should stick to the more pleasant Hurley / Hurler grip.

He is never going to take golf too serious - but was thinking if I should show him the " right " way.
    He has played hurling all his life. Ireland unusual like that I imagine? - guys taken up golf with a very ingrained grip.

Why not have him play left handed? With left hand below the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Why not have him play left handed? With left hand below the right.

he has right handed clubs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

The only golfer I know who uses this grip plays off scratch. He's a county level hurler and is obviously very talented but his grip certainly hasn't hurt his game. If it feels right to you, go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

he has right handed clubs :D

He can always change!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He can always change families!

fyp!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

golf for a right hand dominant player is a different grip to that of a hurler.

My buddy couldnt grasp holding the club in the traditional way i.e. right hand lower. We played hurling for years and he is right handed.

He switched to left handed clubs so he had his right hand on top and his left hand lower which is how he would have held his hurley and for him it is like striking a sliothar off his left side. He is a 2 handicapper at the moment,

I have another buddy off 5 who is right handed and plays right handed clubs. He plays them with a left hand lower grip.

At the end of the day its whatever works for yourself. Your progress will only be determined by the work you put in really

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Ah lads.  Have to chip in here as a left handed hurler and golfer.  And baseball player (to add an extra striking sport into the mix).  Dominant left hand on top for hurling.  Classic grip for golf (right hand on top).  Tried baseball with my hurling grip, got laughed out of the park by the baseball traditionalists. Till they saw me make proper contact all the time.  Switched for the sake of fashion to the traditional baseball grip (right hand on top, dominant hand lower).  The baseball experiment proved to me that it makes TSROFA difference, do what makes you comfortable.  I think for anyone from a hurling background, they'd be better switching to a conventional golf grip, or they'll have the mother of all slices to contend with for their entire golfing lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Till they saw me make proper contact all the time.  Switched for the sake of fashion to the traditional baseball grip

So you were hitting well every time with your grip but switched to a less successful grip for "fashion" reasons?

Pull the other one mate, its got bells on.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Eh?  Why would I lie about that?  I started playing using my hurling grip, I changed to use a regular baseball grip, which happened to be the same as my golf grip so caused me no problems.  I didn't say it was less successful.  I was being glib when I said for fashion reasons, it didn't really make any difference at all for a long time till I reached a higher standard where the hurling grip for sure would have held me back. That was the point.

Advertisement