Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

Amy is trying to make Joy all quirky and flaky (they must think that is comedy?) but she is just terribly annoying in the little I have seen of it.

There was a great line in Extra's when Greg was reading a review of Andy Millman's sitcom (Gervais character's latest sh1tcom).

"Hmm Betty, the cats shat out the worst sitcom of all time''. That basically sums up this latest Huberman mess. It makes Mrs Browns Boys look like a masterpiece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Amy is trying to make Joy all quirky and flaky (they must think that is comedy?) but she is just terribly annoying in the little I have seen of it.

It’s that bad, it’s actually offensive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Drivel and that’s being nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

"Shane Murphy, RTÉ Group Head of Drama and Comedy"

He must be so busy with the Drama that he forgot the Comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

"Shane Murphy, RTÉ Group Head of Drama and Comedy"

He must be so busy with the Drama that he forgot the Comedy.

You'd wonder when you consider he's only involved in this, The Southwesterlies and Dead Still. Normal People and other dramas all tend to come from the Co-production/Acquired programming department.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

I watched episode tonight jesus it's brutal...i'd rather go trainspotting.... during a train strike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Angry letter to today's Sunday Times about Liam Fays negative review. They're claiming he has a vendetta against poor Amy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Angry letter to today's Sunday Times about Liam Fays negative review. They're claiming he has a vendetta against poor Amy

Lol. I wonder who penned that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Watched it last night out of curiosity. Yes it’s not a classic but Enjoyed it more than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lol. I wonder who penned that? :rolleyes:

Probably some angry “dude”, B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Now I’m no fan of her tv shows but I think the recent episode of lodging with Lucy shows why Amy is so liked. From a woman’s perspective she really is full of chat, great fun, has lots of stories both celebrity and every day, and she doesn’t seem to take herself too seriously. She is the female version of that idiot from Roscommon who did moone boy except she was blessed with good looks also. Don’t think she will break into Hollywood like he did especially if she keeps making these awful shows. I think she would make a great reality show character, her and Brian should do a show about moving into their new home in Rathmines.

Now I’m no fan of her tv shows but I think the recent episode of lodging with Lucy shows why Amy is so liked. From a woman’s perspective she really is full of chat, great fun, has lots of stories both celebrity and every day, and she doesn’t seem to take herself too seriously. She is the female version of that idiot from Roscommon who did moone boy except she was blessed with good looks also. Don’t think she will break into Hollywood like he did especially if she keeps making these awful shows. I think she would make a great reality show character, her and Brian should do a show about moving into their new home in Rathmines.

The letter to The Sunday Times really just says lighten up and its a bit of light fun.

I think this is essential the problem. The series and writing is all over the place, the first two episodes were sketch show like with no real plot to follow, followed by a mess 3rd episode, that largely revolved around a scene in a café with Human Aidan.

Why would I care if her best friend's husband left her? he was never introduced to the series and there no clear story suggesting that her husband was considering leaving her, Joy spent the last two episode in Bray and Holyhead. (In fairness I kind of skipped much of the 5th episode).

All of this would be find if this was a first time series and if RTÉ were producing more Drama/Comedy, but its not and they aren't so the wrath of a TV review will land firmly on a show that they would otherwise not have noticed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

No person likes to knock a Irish women trying to creative but she has been given so many chances and non stop coverage..plenty of others they can try and take a chance on
    I dont get the relate to normal people vibe she is a well off..this trying to play herself off as one if us sickens me

Just checked Wiki
    She went to Loreto College Foxrock...No woman in Ireland can relate to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

bigpink wrote: »
    I dont get the relate to normal people vibe she is a well off..this trying to play herself off as one if us sickens me

r

Lighten up.

Lots of "normal" people go to private schools.

One of us,? You're generalising there. Who are us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

No person likes to knock a Irish women trying to creative but she has been given so many chances and non stop coverage..plenty of others they can try and take a chance on

Just checked Wiki

I mean, the Holocaust sickens me. I wouldn't call a woman creating a tedious "comedy" show sickening.

It's just irritating how little RTE are willing to invest in new talent, and create this unfunny, banal drivel instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Absolute sh1te............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭fluke

I feel like Amy is inspired by stuff like Parks and Rec, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and tries to emulate the main female characters in those shows, yet Finding Joy gets stuck in Irish special guest star trappings (Pat Shortt) and Irishisms.

Also can't imagine anyone in Bray was delighted with this making it look like the back of beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

fluke wrote: »

Also can't imagine anyone in Bray was delighted with this making it look like the back of beyond.

The fact that it wasn't actually Bray was a little consoling - there's no Caravan or mobile home park overlooking the sea in Bray.

The way they made Bray out to be some provincial town very far away from Dublin was as ridiculous as most of the storyline - it's a 20-minute drive from the hallowed ground of D4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The way they made Bray out to be some provincial town very far away from Dublin was as ridiculous as most of the storyline - it's a 20-minute drive from the hallowed ground of D4.

I presume that was done on purpose as in Joy knows nothing about anywhere outside Dublin and thinks everywhere else is pure cultie land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

TBF that’s the actual joke and premise they were going for.

During that episode they stopped in Shankill Co. Dublin before going 3km further down the road to Bray in Co.Wicklow. It was hilarious because Joy was so unaware that people actually lived there and commuted to Dublin City centre.

“20mins? Bullet trains? etc. etc.”.

It really was like the first season, very poor. You could see what she was going for but it all seemed flat, tonally wrong and a bit forced/over written.

I like Huberman she’s genuinely likeable but the show is a dud.

Going by the ending the other night I’d put my house on a third series being announced.

ShagNastii wrote: »

Going by the ending the other night I’d put my house on a third series being announced.

They couldn't, could they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

fluke wrote: »
    I feel like Amy is inspired by stuff like Parks and Rec, and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and tries to emulate the main female characters in those shows, yet Finding Joy gets stuck in Irish special guest star trappings (Pat Shortt) and Irishisms.

Huberman is definitely a fan of Parks and Recreation as she gatecrashed a student event in Trinity a few years back where the lead Amy Phoeler was talking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Elmo wrote: »
    They couldn't, could they?

They could, and they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Just checked Wiki

Given plenty of exposure and chances, just because of who she is / her profile and who she is married to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'She went to Loreto College Foxrock...No woman in Ireland can relate to her'

What! That's daft of course they do. Lots of women go there or similar convent run schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Do people actually watch a full episode of this utter Sh***. I've seen trailers and mother of God its looks really dreadful, kind of amazing a promo is enough to turn off potential viewers.

But I suppose the equally ghastly Mrs Brown has an audience so no accounting for taste I guess.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is that her in the Panadol ad at 1:40?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭LushiousLips

Is that her in the Panadol ad at 1:40?

No definitely not her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

She'd give you a headache, not take one away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I see one of the Sky channels Witness has picked up on this so now international audiences get to suffer the dross too

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I see one of the Sky channels Witness has picked up on this so now international audiences get to suffer the dross too

I think it is W from UKTV, they've picked up a few RTÉ comedies .... I say a few I mean this and Bridget & Eamon !

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    sorry no, Caitlin McBride, not sure if she is working for the Indo anymore or at least her name doesnt seem to be below on bylines any more

This is an example of the kind of ego massaging the Indo does on 'The Hubes' :rolleyes:

If Amy was involved in a sex tape would the Tagline be 'The pubes on The Hubes'?

Jeez, Mrs Mc Carthy & myself gave it a " go" there......its repeated on rte2 ..........its absolutely brutal, why is billed as a comedy?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

A bit of cleavage might make it better.

• Advertisement

It has a talking dog.

Anyway the new Amy Humberman vehicle see her playing second fiddle to Jane Seymore

Advertisement