Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It was first and last episode I watched, I thought it couldnt sink any lower until she even wrote in hubby for a 'hilarious' cameo.

Really? BOD was also in the first episode very briefly. Did he have a speaking part in the latest offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Really? BOD was also in the first episode very briefly. Did he have a speaking part in the latest offering?
    I can't remember exactly what he said, but there was an expletive in the 4 or 5 words he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Dear Lord. What a pile of ****e.

RTE are like when the BBC were run by post world War 2 drunks.

Its someone who lives in a bubble trying to be edgy and has absolutely no awareness of the real world.

Vacous terrible teenage tripe. Basically a talentless hack given free reign in Montrose.

Utterly unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Its someone who lives in a bubble trying to be edgy and has absolutely no awareness of the real world.

But they gave us Sir.Jimmy! Always had their finger on the pulse of the British nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The story of this series, is despite the primetime slot, the hype, the promotional ads, which attracted over 500,000 people for the first episode, the ratings have tanked...last I saw by the 2nd episode the numbers dropped to 200,000....god only knows what the ratings are now, a spectacular failure really!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Dear Lord. What a pile of ****e.

Vacous terrible teenage tripe. Basically a talentless hack given free reign in Montrose.

Utterly unwatchable.
    Time to end the TV licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Utter ****e is what it is,and thats being polite

Amy will be finding further joy at your expense lads, just another RTE lifer and we're shelling out for it ad nauseam.

Symptomatic of traditional RTE incestousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Podge and Rodge decided to try a bit of blasphemy to mark the referendum result. Podge said

Amy Huberman isn't funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Podge and Rodge decided to try a bit of blasphemy to mark the referendum result. Podge said

And they have had their day just like blasphemy?

Elmo wrote: »
    And they have had their day just like blasphemy?

I wouldn't go out of the way to watch it, but there are a few laughs in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

I like the bit when someone does or says something off the wall and then the camera pauses on another character, usually joy, looking puzzled and bemused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

BOD said something like "This retirement is no craic" or similar in the latest episode.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

telling the truth isnt blasphemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

BOD said something like "This retirement is no craic" or similar in the latest episode.........

Yes, I thought he said something like that. It was hard to make out which might be a good thing.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yes, I thought he said something like that. It was hard to make out which might be a good thing.

Slummin it as a pedal biker no less,focking laugh riot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

This is pure garbage. I've persisted with it hoping it might pick up. Acting is dreadful. I haven't even smiled once at the 'gags'. Scatological references are everywhere - in last night's episode she said she shat herself at a house-warming party. It is beyond embarrassing. Huberman's face is constantly contorted as she struggles to be funny. The dog thing is boring and pointless. RTE have tried to do comedy for decades and mostly failed. I'd have to say that this is the worst effort so far.

The story of this series, is despite the primetime slot, the hype, the promotional ads, which attracted over 500,000 people for the first episode, the ratings have tanked...last I saw by the 2nd episode the numbers dropped to 200,000....god only knows what the ratings are now, a spectacular failure really!!

2/5 isn't a terrible conversion rate surely

It just reeks of somebody that has been given substantial resources to make a series that her and her mates find hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Not even the rather magnificent appearance of Karen Hassan in that yoga attire could save this rubbish.

Huberman's stupid pained expression is seriously annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

2/5 isn't a terrible conversion rate surely

It's RTE1 straight after the Nine O'Clock News. If they put the Angelus on a loop for half an hour it would probably get close to 200,000 viewers. An episode of Reeling In The Years which has already been shown about 20 times got 400,000 viewers last week on RTE1. People are actively switching this off big-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

last nights episode was by far the worst. Not even a smile. She is terrible as an actress.How this got commissioned is beyond me. She has had loads of chances and none of her shows work. That Striking out thing was equally crap. With all the talent in the country, how she is getting these roles is just madness,. She can't act, and the writing on this show is just awful.

Was it just me or are some of the gags just ripped straight from the republic of telly videos..ie the glenroe thing on a Sunday, and the grand day for drying out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Noticeable the Indo hasn't mentioned anything about the ratings since the first episode. The media and TV industry here is a corrupt incestuous swamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

lostatsea wrote: »
    This is pure garbage. I've persisted with it hoping it might pick up. Acting is dreadful. I haven't even smiled once at the 'gags'. Scatological references are everywhere - in last night's episode she said she shat herself at a house-warming party. It is beyond embarrassing. Huberman's face is constantly contorted as she struggles to be funny. The dog thing is boring and pointless. RTE have tried to do comedy for decades and mostly failed. I'd have to say that this is the worst effort so far.

Spot on. It's even worse than Meet Your Neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Should have been called ‘ Leave it to Mrs O Driscoll ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Seems funny and light hearted but not as good as I was expecting but interesting story all the same.

I really liked Striking Out; great cast, the portrayal of Dublin 20-something boozing/post-office scene a bit painful (but so's the reality). Major issue was the way the plot lines and scripting drifted off towards the end. Kept me watching the whole way through at least! Really liked Neil Morrissey and Emmet Byrne, thought Amy Huberman was well cast. Honestly to me it was way better than most of the Netflix - similar but set in New York type of dross.

Finding Joy - seems like it needs a serious script editor: nothing wrong with the concept - more execution. I watch it regardless just because I'd rather see Dublin in my brainless viewing than (almost) anywhere else, and it's bland and inoffensive. Easy listing... I assume it's the same for most people tuning in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

No matter how you try, you cant polish a turd. No amount of editing is gonna fix finding joy. As for striking out, if it was really any good it woukd still be on. It wsd the usual south dublin rte nonsense, that just didnt resonate with enough people. Hubermsn has only a few standard expressions she uses as an actress and it makes her too weak to carry a lead role . If she was a random person off the street auditioning, she wouldnt have a hope imo.

tototoe wrote: »
    No matter how you try, you cant polish a turd. No amount of editing is gonna fix finding joy. As for striking out, if it was really any good it woukd still be on. It wsd the usual south dublin rte nonsense, that just didnt resonate with enough people. Hubermsn has only a few standard expressions she uses as an actress and it makes her too weak to carry a lead role . If she was a random person off the street auditioning, she wouldnt have a hope imo.

Fair comment re Amy. Too much too far too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I've watched three episoids of this and it's poor. You have to ask why a so so actress with no screen writing credits that I am aware of is given this vehicle. Also the Irish Times and Indo gave it favourable reviews.

The only explanation I can come up with is that This country is so sports mad and Brian O'Driscoll is such a draw that all of these media outlets hope to land or keep BOD as a pundit (I'm not sure what if any media gigs he has at the minute). One of the papers even complimented her on the edginess of her scatalogical gags!

When watching this I can't quite decide if the writers deserve better actors or if the actors deserve better writters.

Not everyone cup of tea but I also think Aisling Bea is 10x more charismatic on screen in this than Huberman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I've watched three episoids of this and it's poor. You have to ask why a so so actress with no screen writing credits that I am aware of is given this vehicle. Also the Irish Times and Indo gave it favourable reviews.

The only explanation I can come up with is that This country is so sports mad and Brian O'Driscoll is such a draw that all of these media outlets hope to land or keep BOD as a pundit (I'm not sure what if any media gigs he has at the minute). One of the papers even complimented her on the edginess of her scatalogical gags!

When watching this I can't quite decide if the writers deserve better actors or if the actors deserve better writters.

Not everyone cup of tea but I also think Aisling Bea is 10x more charismatic on screen in this than Huberman.

You may not realise how incesteous and small the Irish Media/Celeb/PR world really is, BOD and Amy are just in that world...right side of the right town, it really is that simple.

It is why I refer to RTE as the public freak show of Irish nepotism, I shudder to think of how that mentality affects all other parts of this state, if our State Broadcaster is this bad!

In an insular world like this, talent is meaningless, you don't get talented people here because they are a threat, real talent is a consequence of a painful journey riddled with both self doubt and self belief in equal measure, it is an incredible talent to be able to connect with viewers (and guests in the case of chat shows) whatever the platform, for viewers to be able to relate with what they are watching, it takes the most talented because it is so difficult.

Huberman is a Fair City level actress at best, but in a world of nepotism and lacking creativity she believes herself to be able to write/produce/act and has the gravitas to open doors that the vast majority of creative writers could never open.

Such is the state of RTE, whose quality has been in steady decline for reasons not just what is outlined above, it is hemorrhaging money, it's output and agenda cannot be denied, at what point does the State put a stop to this freak show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Should have been called ‘ Leave it to Mrs O Driscoll ‘

This definitely deserves more likes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

To keep with its frankly worrying scatalogical theme, its like the buoyant turd you just can’t flush down the jax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I bet it'll get a second series.

"but she has 292k Instagram followers" will surely be an argument used by RTE brass to justfy another run.

"but she has 292k Instagram followers" will surely be an argument used by RTE brass to justfy another run.

No sorry this is gone, it's doing worse than a midweek movie and is bring that other great RTÉ show "Cutting edge" with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Elmo do you have the viewing figures for each episode?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Elmo do you have the viewing figures for each episode?

No once they drop out of the top twenty, figures from Medialive.

• Advertisement

I quoted Instagram followers, not viewing figures. Rightly or wrongly, this is often factored to measure a public figures apparent 'appeal/fanbase' eg football player transfers.

I quoted Instagram followers, not viewing figures. Rightly or wrongly, this is often factored to measure a public figures apparent 'appeal/fanbase' eg football player transfers.

they can do and they bring her followers into the show, I'd be more likely to say she be back with a different series next year, or if RTÉ really feel there is hope with this series they might bring it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Zachary Broad Uterus

We should all guess what her next failure sorry I mean attempt at another tv show RTE will give her, I guess she will be a down on her luck vetinary nurse trying to get noticed by a tall handsome vet....and she spends half her show with the same exasperated facial expression she does

RTE officials will be like that episode of south park Awesome-0 where the tv producers will come up with 2000 show ideas for her (instead of adam sandler)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Elmo wrote: »
    No once they drop out of the top twenty, figures from Medialive.

Says it all really ! Do you know what the viewing figs were for position 20 on the weeks it didnt make the top 20?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Says it all really ! Do you know what the viewing figs were for position 20 on the weeks it didnt make the top 20?

Less than 205,000 viewers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

I liked it. More please

• Advertisement

sxt wrote: »
    I liked it. More please

Preach the gospel, it was as entertaining as root canals and haemorrhoids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

it was as entertaining as root canals and haemorrhoids.

simultaneously, with the same guy treating both conditions, without washing his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Ms Huberman should have simply posted an online video of her emitting a long, loud, rasping, and extremely malodorous fart in a crowded lift, stuck between floors.
    This would have three benefits; 1. It would be funnier than Finding Joy. 2. It would save us the ordeal of watching 4 episodes of Finding Joy in the vain hope of finding a laugh. 3. It would save the long suffering licence payer the expense of this abysmal effort.

Oliver Callan gave it a fair old kicking on Callan's Kicks on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Is the caption missing stick at the end ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement