Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Japanese Knot Weed?

Options
  • 24-09-2018 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Area near my house is being actively treated and co.co are aware however noticed this about 10m from original area.  Before I start making calls just wanted to be sure I have identified it correctly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭theminstrel

Not knotweed. Looks like willow possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

No, I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

thank you and this is interesting as I am pretty sure this is the plant that all the neighbours are freaking out about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Knotweed will grow to about 6ft tall in the summer and will die back in the winter around now.
    That looks fairly short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Definitely willow - a good few of them have sprung up in my local area this year, including 3 in my garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

^^^^^^^^^^

100% Willow

Edit> Probably a form of Pussy Willow - Salix caprea

Thank you.  It was exactly this time last year when this identical plant was treated and I have one of those official do not cut notices from co. co. outside my property.

Post a picture of the whole verge and we can see if we can spot any JK?

my3cents wrote: »
    Post a picture of the whole verge and we can see if we can spot any JK?

nothing to see other than dead plants as all was all treated! (by neighbours)

I just saw these shooting up in last week next to my gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Honestly willow (of any type) does not look remotely like knotweed. Knotweed has larger, bright green leaves wide and pointed. The stems are red, have a very distinctive zig zag style of growth and speckled markings on the stems. https://www.phlorum.com/services/japanese-knotweed/domestic-knotweed-removal/knotweed-identification/

However if someone looked up 'knotweed' rather than 'japanese knotweed' there are lots of different plants and it is just possible that someone could be mistaken - not really likely I would have thought, but possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Actually, this is the time of year when it's easiest to spot small stands of knot weed,
    The colours of the leaves start to turn and the tall stems tend to stand out more...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

looksee wrote: »
    Honestly willow (of any type) does not look remotely like knotweed. Knotweed has larger, bright green leaves wide and pointed. The stems are red, have a very distinctive zig zag style of growth and speckled markings on the stems. https://www.phlorum.com/services/japanese-knotweed/domestic-knotweed-removal/knotweed-identification/

However if someone looked up 'knotweed' rather than 'japanese knotweed' there are lots of different plants and it is just possible that someone could be mistaken - not really likely I would have thought, but possible.

Yeh, the leaf colour is really distinctive. A good stand of JK just looks the wrong colour to be in the Irish landscape. The only other plant that has the same look is imo Griselinia littoralis.

Advertisement