Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/winter patio gardening ideas?

Options
  • 24-09-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi I live in a tiny rented house that has a pretty large patio (for the size of the house) and have come to treat it like an extra room.
    Easter through to now I have grown (some from seed and others from previous years) sunflowers, lavender, rosemary, geraniums, fuschia, palms, berries, marigolds, veggies, herbs.

It has been a life line living in a tiny house and with winter approaching I'm getting nervous about losing the enrichment gardening has brought to life!

Can anyone suggest what I could grow through Autumn and Winter? I have a couple of small crates that I grew the veg in and lots of pots. Looked into getting a small green house but I think you need to heat them in winter.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!
    (The patio is South facing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I find sage great. It's hardy and keeps its leaves all winter. Plus you can use it to make sage and onion stuffing in winter roasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I find sage great. It's hardy and keeps its leaves all winter. Plus you can use it to make sage and onion stuffing in winter roasts.

Thank you I've never grown sage. Will give that a go :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ivy is a good option, too - you can get so many varieties! And you could get some snowdrops, they pop up very early and they're a joy to see. :)

New Home wrote: »
    Ivy is a good option, too - you can get so many varieties! And you could get some snowdrops, they pop up very early and they're a joy to see. :)

Thank you I love snowdrops! I wonder where I can get them..do you know? I got some cyclamen today in tesco and a silver bush.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you're in Dublin, go to Mr Middleton (I think it's Mary Street? The one straight up from Henry Street, you cross the road (not O'Connell Str., the other end) and walk up another bit, it's on the right near one of those outdoors shops). They also have a website you can order from. Otherwise, Lidl/Aldi often have bulbs, you might get them from there. Otherwise, garden centres, the likes of coops, nurseries, etc).

The other thing I suggested elsewhere was a Ceanothus, it's evergreen (IIRC) and turns into a blue cloud in spring. The only thing is, it's a shrub, but I'm sure you could keep it in a large pot for a while. :)

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin, go to Mr Middleton (I think it's Mary Street? The one straight up from Henry Street, you cross the road (not O'Connell Str., the other end) and walk up another bit, it's on the right near one of those outdoors shops). They also have a website you can order from. Otherwise, Lidl/Aldi often have bulbs, you might get them from there. Otherwise, garden centres, the likes of coops, nurseries, etc).

The other thing I suggested elsewhere was a Ceanothus, it's evergreen (IIRC) and turns into a blue cloud in spring. The only thing is, it's a shrub, but I'm sure you could keep it in a large pot for a while. :)

Thank you! I've never grown anything from bulbs so that might be the route to go for snowdrops and a new gardening adventure. I know there's an eccentric snow drop genius in Lucan village, or at least there used to be. My cousin brought me to see the snowdrops there years ago and I fell in love (with the snowdrops not the genius 😆)
    Will look into Ceanothus too. I might have to go back to Lidl for more of the silver Bush (calocephalus) only €2.50 each! A few of those will be beautiful beside sage and white winter flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grow some chard and kale.

Grow some chard and kale.

Thanks I grew some kale during the summer but it didn't produce much leafiness. Still have some seeds. Would they grow now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you are quick! As you have the seeds you've nothing to lose.

If you are quick! As you have the seeds you've nothing to lose.

Brilliant will plant today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LIDL have a wonderful selection of bulbs and plants... irresistible.. also I am seeding hungry gap kale and land cress in containers. will grow overwinter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bulbs are great, and when they have finished flowering and completely died down you can pop in some bedding plants or a few annual seeds for the summer. A little topdress with compost will keep the pot healthy and the bulbs will come up the following year.

Advertisement