Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goretex worth it?!

Options
  • 24-09-2018 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, so as per the title I am wondering if goretex is worth the investment. It's definitely paid off with my gloves and boots, but I am now considering a jacket and trousers after my RST stuff (with their own liners) has sprung a leak, it's 2 years old now so that's understandable, same story with my previous gear. I would prefer gear to last a bit longer. I used the nikwax recently but it didn't help. All my kit was 100% waterproof the rest of the time but now its just not waterproof anymore. If I was to go for non goretex gear it would probably be the alpinestars drystar gear so if anyone has experience with the drystar stuff your feedback is welcome.

Also, its worth adding that it will be used daily, year round so the longevity of the waterproofing under these conditions would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

My GoreTex jacket from Hein Gerick was previously my father's, he replaced it in around 2003 so at a guess it's 20-25 years old. Still 100% waterproof, never gotten so much as a drop.

It was probably expensive at the time but it had already given value before I dug it out of the closet and used it for the last 10 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Yes, have an Aerostich gore-tex suit, really great not having to worry about whether it's going to rain or not, or then think about how you're going to dry out the gear before you need to wear it again. Water runs off, drip dry, never holds the water or feels heavy or damp. Couldn't go back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭ratracer

Absolutely!
    I don’t think anything other liner ( Sheltex etc) come anywhere close to the mark.
    I got a Hein Gerick goretex jacket more than 12 years ago, it’s still never leaked.
    I bought a Hein Gerick Sheltex jacket two years ago, there is no comparison, the cheaper jacket is exactly that..... cheaper, and definitely not waterproof.
    Save your money and go for the Gore Tex.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

zubair wrote: »
    Hi folks, so as per the title I am wondering if goretex is worth the investment. It's definitely paid off with my gloves and boots, but I am now considering a jacket and trousers after my RST stuff (with their own liners) has sprung a leak, it's 2 years old now so that's understandable, same story with my previous gear. I would prefer gear to last a bit longer. I used the nikwax recently but it didn't help. All my kit was 100% waterproof the rest of the time but now its just not waterproof anymore. If I was to go for non goretex gear it would probably be the alpinestars drystar gear so if anyone has experience with the drystar stuff your feedback is welcome.

Also, its worth adding that it will be used daily, year round so the longevity of the waterproofing under these conditions would be helpful.

Alpine Stars Drystar isn't gortex. They do sell gortex gear but it's more expensive than their own drystar gear. I'd get the gortex as it's a known quality product, which means that drystar isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cheers, I am aware that it's not goretex but was wondering how it performs all the same as have experience with other non goretex liners but not this one. I really am swinging towards the gore gear as my boots and gloves have served me well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I bought a Hein Gericke jacket in Germany last year. Wasn't cheap but it's truly waterproof.
    Is there a HG shop anywhere on this Ireland?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

MSVforever wrote: »
    I bought a Hein Gericke jacket in Germany last year. Wasn't cheap but it's truly waterproof.
    Is there a HG shop anywhere on this Ireland?

Cheers.

There used to be one in Belfast/Newry. I know they shut quite a few around the UK too. Not sure there's any more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I’d definitely recommend goretex or an equivalent. I have BMW street guard 3 with schoeller technology and it’s fantastic. Never worry about getting wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've not gotten gear other than my boots.

And if they are anything or go by then it's worth every penny. Never a wet foot ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Those that have goretex gear...do the cuffs and shins not get wet in the rain? I have Hein gerick gear and the cuff half way to my elbow will be wet. Same with the shins. I'll check when I'm home if I have goretex or a cheaper version

• Advertisement

Those that have goretex gear...do the cuffs and shins not get wet in the rain? I have Hein gerick gear and the cuff half way to my elbow will be wet. Same with the shins. I'll check when I'm home if I have goretex or a cheaper version

What way do you wear your gloves - under or over the cuffs?

Can't say it's a problem with my Aerostich, I wear my gloves over the sleeves, but there is a chance of water running down the arms into the gloves if I'm stopped or standing around after getting off the bike, but not an issue while actually riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Just got an email from the Sportsbike shop (UK based). They are having a goretex sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a pair of AlpineStars Celer GTX Goretex gloves which are falling apart at the seams after 2 years.

Anyone got any recommendations for similar design that doesn't fall apart?

thos wrote: »

Can't say it's a problem with my Aerostich, I wear my gloves over the sleeves, but there is a chance of water running down the arms into the gloves if I'm stopped or standing around after getting off the bike, but not an issue while actually riding.

Depends on the bike. If it's a sports bike with clip ons then over the sleeve. If it's a sit up bike, like most other types, under the sleeves. Rain will always flows down so don't have it flowing into the sleeves or gloves

Just got an email from the Sportsbike shop (UK based). They are having a goretex sale.

Cheers, got it too. Great timing.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of A*s goretex jacket and pants yesterday. Went in to bike world to try them on and then bought from sports bike shop. The jacket was 150 more and the pants were 100 more in bike world and they were on sale.

Thanks all for your help!

Just checked the label. Ive the sheltex version. I havent the shilling at the moment but ill definitely go for goretex next time taking into account what others have said.

@THOS...I normally took my gloves into the sleeve. I do need a decent winter pair so I might search for a pair that can easily slip over the sleeve cuff.

Just checked the label. Ive the sheltex version. I havent the shilling at the moment but ill definitely go for goretex next time taking into account what others have said.

@THOS...I normally took my gloves into the sleeve. I do need a decent winter pair so I might search for a pair that can easily slip over the sleeve cuff.

Tucking them in is the way to go, it should reduce the amount of water that runs down the sleeves and into the cuff.

Try the richa cold protect gloves. I've had other gore winter gloves and these are the best and were the cheapest too. They're less than 100. They're not very bulky as winter gloves go but are still warm and of course water proof, the only negative is there's no visor wipe, if this is a must check out the richa arctic, again they are less than 100, however they're not goretex.

zubair wrote: »
    Tucking them in is the way to go, it should reduce the amount of water that runs down the sleeves and into the cuff.

Try the richa cold protect gloves. I've had other gore winter gloves and these are the best and were the cheapest too. They're less than 100. They're not very bulky as winter gloves go but are still warm and of course water proof, the only negative is there's no visor wipe, if this is a must check out the richa arctic, again they are less than 100, however they're not goretex.

I see cotters have them for €110. How are they in the cold? Let's say below 3 degrees?

• Advertisement

I've had a pair of Richa Cold Protect for the past 18months, every day use, rain, winter etc. Waterproof (except when rains runs in from the sleeve). I've got hand guards and heated grips, and they've been perfectly fine and useable. My commute is 20km down the M1, so you notice the wind chill, but they're pretty good. All that being said, I'd be tempted by a pair of heated gloves on those really cold mornings.

I use shorties, I have heated handles and wind deflectors. But i have a heated Keis Vest.

I have had no use for oversleeve, undersleeve or any type of long wrist glove. They just get in the way mine are easier to take off and im perfectly warm regardless of the weather.

Mine are Revit Short gloves

Do you do any motorway winter riding? No draft up the sleeve?

I've a Keis Heated Vest too - but not much use for keeping my hands warm!

I do, 50km each way on the M7 & M50. The gloves are good with heated grips, most winter gloves will still need heated grips or muffs etc. You shouldn't get a draft if you seal the cuff.

I do 65km each per way on Motorway. I dont get draft up the sleeve. Just have tshirt on and the Keis over the tshirt.

I picked up a pair of the richa cold protect goretex gloves today. Looking forward to trying them out come monday

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I'm still using summer WP gloves with the heated grips on but I'll be wearing winter gloves soon I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Any shops in Dublin sell Knox gear ? Im thinking of getting these but unsure of sizes

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/zero-motorcycle-winter-gloves/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My cheap solution; buy affordable gear at a fraction of the price of the high end stuff and have a rain poncho to hand as a waterproof under-layer. I personally don't believe in spending oceans of dough on gear that might leak anyway or fall apart too soon. Even expensive gear is a crapshoot, IME.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    My cheap solution; buy affordable gear at a fraction of the price of the high end stuff and have a rain poncho to hand as a waterproof under-layer. I personally don't believe in spending oceans of dough on gear that might leak anyway or fall apart too soon. Even expensive gear is a crapshoot, IME.

Lots of hassle having to stop, strip off your gear, put on poncho and get gear on again when it rains. I was in France a few years ago and went through a couple of torrential downpours followed by scorching hot sun, had to stop and put my over suit and then a few minutes later stop again to take it off. There's a lot less stopping if the outer wear is waterproof.

Advertisement