Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misogyny and Vile attacks on children

Options
  • 24-09-2018 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭

The moderation on After Hours on threads about Margaret Cash and her children is extremely poor.

The threads have had numerous misogynistic attacks about Margarets sexuality, sex life, genitals.

It's gotten worse in the last few days with quite a lot of nasty personalised attacks against her children.

I just don't understand why moderators on this site are allowing nasty hateful misogyny and allowing identified children to be continuously attacked.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving thread to the Help Desk as this is a specific issue, instead of Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I've seen nothing misogynistic at all on that thread.

She's a public and controversial figure, she's going to be attacked. Like Trump. We're not moderating those.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't believe in over moderating and it annoys posters.
    People are only saying what is said in reality. Of course people are going to question why does she continue to have kids, etc.
    If we had no discussion or an overly moderated thread there wouldn't be much going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Couldn't agree more with Joey, the amount of posts referring to that ladies private parts that have been allowed to go unnoticed is absolutely disgusting.

How on earth is it is not considered misogynistic to allow constant posts about the size of a woman's private parts etc because she has 7 children with no reference being made at all the man involved in also creating these children?

I feel very strongly on this issue and will continue to report any further comments made about this lady's private parts.

There is some difference between attacking this lady and attacking Trump as Trump and his family are unlikely ever to read Boards.

If further disgusting comments are allowed to carry on then I will take this further.

BBFAN wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with Joey, the amount of posts referring to that ladies private parts that have been allowed to go unnoticed is absolutely disgusting.

How on earth is it is not considered misogynistic to allow constant posts about the size of a woman's private parts etc because she has 7 children with no reference being made at all the man involved in also creating these children?

I feel very strongly on this issue and will continue to report any further comments made about this lady's private parts.

There is some difference between attacking this lady and attacking Trump as Trump and his family are unlikely ever to read Boards.

If further disgusting comments are allowed to carry on then I will take this further.

Please continue to report as you see fit!
    I am currently reviewing your reported posts in the Margret Cash thread.
    One of the posters you took issue with was thread band after they refereed to her private parts.
    I deleted abusive comments that you considered abusive towards yourself.
    In your reported posts at moment. They've all being dealt with either by a deleting the persons post or giving them a thread ban.
    You have only reported a few posts.
    So please report all these posts that refer to a woman's private parts for the moderators to see.(Just encase there was an error)
    Regarding the father of these children. Well he was discussed in the from time to time but feel free to bring it up.(There's no need to bring it up here)
    I stuck in a Mod Note into the thread earlier in the night and I know you weren't happy with this. I tried to discuss this with you in the thread. I considered my mod note to fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I just don't understand why moderators on this site are allowing nasty hateful misogyny and allowing identified children to be continuously attacked.

Could you provide some examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There has been plenty of discussions about Johnny cash /mcdonagh whatever surname he's using and his criminal behaviour and lack of responsibility ,

But he's currently not front and center of gaining maximum media attention ,

She's fair game - I believe if you have nothing to contribute to a discussion ignore the thread , rather than come on here with the threats I'm reporting posts on everyone ,

Sounds so childish I'm telling on you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The moderation on After Hours on threads about Margaret Cash and her children is extremely poor.

The threads have had numerous misogynistic attacks about Margarets sexuality, sex life, genitals.

It's gotten worse in the last few days with quite a lot of nasty personalised attacks against her children.

I agree with you . That thread is now a free for all to post horrible posts about travellers in general .It has long passed the actual discussion about housing . The posts about the children are dreadful at times .Yes one was removed yesterday when alerted but some posts on it are simply disgraceful and have been now for weeks .

Please continue to report as you see fit!
    I am currently reviewing your reported posts in the Margret Cash thread.
    One of the posters you took issue with was thread band after they refereed to her private parts.
    I deleted abusive comments that you considered abusive towards yourself.
    In your reported posts at moment. They've all being dealt with either by a deleting the persons post or giving them a thread ban.
    You have only reported a few posts.
    So please report all these posts that refer to a woman's private parts for the moderators to see.(Just encase there was an error)
    Regarding the father of these children. Well he was discussed in the from time to time but feel free to bring it up.(There's no need to bring it up here)
    I stuck in a Mod Note into the thread earlier in the night and I know you weren't happy with this. I tried to discuss this with you in the thread. I considered my mod note to fair.

I don't have time to go over hundreds of pages to report even half of the disgusting posts in there, but I will continue to report any further ones no problem.

I haven't seen one yellow card, red card or thread ban so far.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you really think the moderation is fair but lets put this in context.

If ANYONE said about another minority "their children will be robbers, scumbags and sluts who open their legs the moment they hit puberty" they would be instantly banned and rightly so.

Your logic that it's what is being said in the real world doesn't hold water. People also use words like the N word in real life, they're still not allowed to use it on here are they?

Just stop and think if you were reading boards now and found some of those things written about your mother how would you feel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In fairness you cannot expect the mods to read every post in AH. There simply is not enough hours in the day. Reported posts are always looked at by the mod team. If they are not reported then in all liklihood they will not be seen. I would note that mod actions are not always visible (ie if I ban someone then you could not determine that by looking at the thread). If you can find me a post that crosses the line, has been reported and was not actioned by the mods I would be very surprised.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In fairness you cannot expect the mods to read every post in AH. There simply is not enough hours in the day. Reported posts are always looked at by the mod team. If they are not reported then in all liklihood they will not be seen. I would note that mod actions are not always visible (ie if I ban someone then you could not determine that by looking at the thread). If you can find me a post that crosses the line, has been reported and was not actioned by the mods I would be very surprised.

If it's not possible to determine is something has been actioned or not how is one to know? :confused:

If it's not possible to determine is something has been actioned or not how is one to know? :confused:

Why do you need to know? You have done your bit to help the community by reporting the post. The outcome of any 'investigation' by the mod is between the mod and the poster.
    Sometimes the mod will issue a yellow or a red card. This will be visible. In the case of a person being thread banned then the mod will usually post on thread something like 'Pawwed Rig do not post in this thread again'.
    In the event of a forum ban the mod may or may not announce the ban on thread (one of the AH mods can advise if they do or no). If they don't then you will have no way of knowing the poster is banned without clicking in their profile.

Why do you need to know? You have done your bit to help the community by reporting the post. The outcome of any 'investigation' by the mod is between the mod and the poster.
    Sometimes the mod will issue a yellow or a red card. This will be visible. In the case of a person being thread banned then the mod will usually post on thread something like 'Pawwed Rig do not post in this thread again'.
    In the event of a forum ban the mod may or may not announce the ban on thread (one of the AH mods can advise if they do or no). If they don't then you will have no way of knowing the poster is banned without clicking in their profile.

The reason I asked the question is you told me to find a post that was reported and no action was taken??

There is absolutely no need to attack me or get sarcastic when all I did was ask a perfectly civil question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If you can find me a post that crosses the line, has been reported and was not actioned by the mods I would be very surprised.

To be honest, considering that firstly, it's not possible to know when a post has been reported (by others at least), and secondly, that not every mod action is visible, that something of a wild goose chase isn't it.

Especially considering that if a poster does present a post asking if any non-visible mod action has been taken, there's every chance they'll be told it's not their business.

There is absolutely no need to attack me or get sarcastic when all I did was ask a perfectly civil question.

I was absolutely not attacking you. I have no idea who you are nor have I ever come across you before on this site. Neither was I trying to be sarcastic.

To rephrase. Could you highlight a couple of posts where you believe no action was taken and I can look into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nixonbot wrote: »
    I've seen nothing misogynistic at all on that thread.

I wouldn’t be one for throwing around those kind of labels lightly, but there was plenty of examples on that thread that to be honest I don’t really care for the motivation whether it was misogyny, racism, classism or whatever, some opinions were just vile, and I genuinely do expect a better standard of Boards than lowering itself to the lowest common denominator just to keep a thread alive and generating content. The question has to be asked at some point, what kind of content is being generated, and as a member of Boards is that the kind of content I think should be entertained? The answer is ‘no’ obviously, and we’ve had numerous threads about the content of AH over the years, but that thread even as it stands now, is a pretty low point. I even said as much in the thread itself[/i], and I’m still surprised it’s still going, though I hope when it has to be locked at 10k posts it stays that way, because frankly it’s embarrassing.

She's a public and controversial figure, she's going to be attacked. Like Trump. We're not moderating those.

She’s not a public figure, she hasn’t stood for any public office, she’s not a celebrity, she didn’t ask for her life to be examined and torn apart by people who know next to nothing about her, and even if she were a public figure, that still wouldn’t justify posters behaving like dicks on Boards.

Could you provide some examples?

I’ll just provide one PR as it’s a nightmare trying to search for my posts in that thread on the touch site, so this was early on in the thread (and the theme doesn’t appear to have changed a whole lot since I long unsubscribed) -

Uncharted wrote: »
    I do have a say in the matter,so do you. It's a democracy,albeit a flawed one.

Public unrest regarding sham 'homelessness' is gathering speed.

People are just sick of freeloaders, hiding the reality of their scheming from the social welfare.

The kids dad working on the black economy and the mum unable to keep their legs closed.

Gimme gimme gimme....... etc etc.

Everyone knows these types of scrotes.

I didn’t report it, because reporting posts really is a futile exercise around here, and I say that after many years of reporting posts and seeing many threads saying “something will be done”, and for a while something is done, until everything goes back to normal, only in this case things have sunk to far lower depths than normal when we have mods who can’t see how shìtty standards haven’t just slipped unchecked, but that posters have been encouraged to post that kind of crap.

As for the idea that people talk that way in reality, yeah, some people do, but Boards doesn’t have to facilitate them, let alone encourage them.

osarusan wrote: »
    To be honest, considering that firstly, it's not possible to know when a post has been reported (by others at least), and secondly, that not every mod action is visible, that something of a wild goose chase isn't it.

Especially considering that if a poster does present a post asking if any non-visible mod action has been taken, there's every chance they'll be told it's not their business.

Fair points but I would be happy to tell you if it had been brought to the mods attention or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

"their children will be robbers, scumbags and sluts who open their legs the moment they hit puberty" they would be instantly banned and rightly so.

I dont recall seeing this posted anywhere.

People have posted that traveller children dont progress in school and why would they when they see their parents without an education getting the guts of 50,000 euros per annum transferred to their bank account. Thats just the "clean" money transferred by the Government, the traveller children live among criminals and they are taught from an early age that crime pays. The travelling children who should be in school are often transported round the country by their parents, they are small so can fit thorough small open windows and probably can ransack an entire house by the time they are ten. Why on earth would they want to work hard in school and then sweat blood and tears to get a leaving cert when in reality the life of indolence and crime pays better.

Travelling women dont open their legs once they reach puberty. The young girls are basically brood mares and their value will go down if they have been round the garden too often. They are under the control of their fathers fists and he will hand them over to another man fists as soon as they are sixteen, ie child benefit stops at that age unless you are in full time education.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have to say (and I had been planning to start a thread on it myself), the standard of modding in AH is absolutely appalling, imo. Utterly, utterly horrid stuff is posted on a daily basis. And before anyone trots out the "If you have a problem with a post, report it" line - I do, and often - but it's so rare for anything to (visibly, anyway) happen that more and more I find myself going "Why bother???" Fine, it may not be our business whether or not a post is actioned (and that's an argument I don't fully buy, just for the record) but you can't pretend that the spectacular lack of on-thread follow-up does make it seem as if pretty much anything goes in AH. The only thing that seems worthy of a mod action is being a re-reg troll and even these seem to be let slide for as long as the mods find them "funny".

There's a viciously nasty sexist streak a mile-wide in AH and there seems to be a tacit agreement to ignore it by the mods.

I also think that the appointment of one particular mod was a mind-bogglingly poor decision but I'm not sure of the proper channel to give that feedback so I'll sit on that one until someone perhaps advises me on the correct way to do so.

Suffice it to say that I think the mod team in AH could do with a bit more of a spread in terms of demographics. Has there even been a female mod since Whoops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I hope politicans are reading on Boards so they will know the depth of anger against travellers and the amount of money they are costing the State.

I hope also politicans realise how much anger is building in low paid workers who are just above income limits to qualify for public housing and all the other freebies going the way of the long term workshy and the refugees.

We cant afford long term unemployed fully abled bodied people and nor can we absorb the number of Africans whowant to move to Europe to avail of social welfare payments. Unless you have a good education and something to offer this small country then you should be turned away when you land and not spend years in direct provision paid for by irish taxpayers.

• Advertisement

I was absolutely not attacking you. I have no idea who you are nor have I ever come across you before on this site. Neither was I trying to be sarcastic.

To rephrase. Could you highlight a couple of posts where you believe no action was taken and I can look into it?

I don't know how to highlight a post in another thread here but here's an example I've just copied and pasted word for word.

"Depends - are you at all willing to be an uneducated, amoral scumbag with a violent husband, a hoo ha like a clown car and zero shame ?

If so, I believe Margaret Cash is soon to run classes. Just as soon as she gets a grant. "

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I have to say (and I had been planning to start a thread on it myself), the standard of modding in AH is absolutely appalling, imo. Utterly, utterly horrid stuff is posted on a daily basis. And before anyone trots out the "If you have a problem with a post, report it" line - I do, and often - but it's so rare for anything to (visibly, anyway) happen that more and more I find myself going "Why bother???" Fine, it may not be our business whether or not a post is actioned (and that's an argument I don't fully buy, just for the record) but you can't pretend that the spectacular lack of on-thread follow-up does make it seem as if pretty much anything goes in AH. The only thing that seems worthy of a mod action is being a re-reg troll and even these seem to be let slide for as long as the mods find them "funny".

There's a viciously nasty sexist streak a mile-wide in AH and there seems to be a tacit agreement to ignore it by the mods.

I also think that the appointment of one particular mod was a mind-bogglingly poor decision but I'm not sure of the proper channel to give that feedback so I'll sit on that one until someone perhaps advises me on the correct way to do so.

Suffice it to say that I think the mod team in AH could do with a bit more of a spread in terms of demographics. Has there even been a female mod since Whoops?

I am currently reviewing all your reported posts since I became a mod last November.
    I can't go into to much detail.
    Most of your issues were dealt with in some form if it was required by various mods.
    It's not always easy to pick up on re-reg troll accounts. Sometimes if somebody is a tad conservative and they are a new poster they are always slammed as rereg troll but the mod tolls show up nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have seen posts yellow carded so is this not across the board so ? If a poster is warned about a certain post is there no indication to know that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dial Hard wrote: »

Well, here we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. Constant barrage of accusations of over modding, and here you are, now we're under-modding. Implement your suggestions and we're back to the first one.

As for female mods, yes, Samaris is female. She had to leave the modding unfortunately. It's hard enough getting any AH mods, never mind ones of a particular gender, possibly in part due to the above.

Why bother indeed, I feel the same.

Funny how since I quoted a valid example there's radio silence and the post hasn't even been approved?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

BBFAN, posts in Help Desk require approval and don't display immediately. The easiest way to highlight a post for a moderator's attention is to report it.

BBFAN, posts in Help Desk require approval and don't display immediately. The easiest way to highlight a post for a moderator's attention is to report it.

I was asked on THIS THREAD by a moderator to provide an example and I did. Yet it wasn't approved. This is infuriating, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@BBFAN - all posts have been approved on this thread. Sometimes there is a delay in approving, but everything is visible. I can guarantee you that.

I was asked on THIS THREAD by a moderator to provide an example and I did. Yet it wasn't approved. This is infuriating, I give up.

I spent the evening in a playground with my kids and then came home to make them dinner before putting them to bed. Then I watched an episode of Fargo before going to bed myself.
    Thank you for the example. As it wasn't a link to a post I will have to wait until I am on my laptop to search for the post in question. It will be tomorrow night before I can do this. The mobile site unfortunately is hopeless for modding.
    I would note that I am not an AH mod either.

The mods in AH cannot win. They are periodically accused of being too strict and too lenient, too left wing and too right wing, woman hating and man hating, muslim haters and muslim lovers, trans phobes and SJWs, anti traveller and pro traveller.
    What they actually are are a bunch of guys that do alot of work for zero pay and little thanks. I wouldn't mod AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement