Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misogyny and Vile attacks on children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Still no further feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

BBFAN wrote: »

I replied to your earlier posts!
    Since this thread was created we reviewed posts that were reported and decided if they required action or not.
    Mod Notes were added to thread/etc.
    That's about all that can be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nothing to see here apparently :rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I looked into it and it looks like it was missed by the mod team. Have actioned it now myself.

• Advertisement

I replied to your earlier posts!
    Since this thread was created we reviewed posts that were reported and decided if they required action or not.
    Mod Notes were added to thread/etc.
    That's about all that can be done!

Oh right. Yet you've only just said that now after out of hand dismissing my concerns initially.

Not sure what thats about.

Posters report posts
    Mods do very little
    Poster brings to feedback
    Thread gets moved to helpdesk
    Mods dismiss concerns out of hand
    Shortly afterwards mods decide on a review
    Mods keep this review quiet until other posters keep highlighing similar concerns

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Oh right. Yet you've only just said that now after out of hand dismissing my concerns initially.

Not sure what thats about.

Posters report posts
    Mods do very little
    Posters being to feedback
    Thread gets moved to helpdesk
    Mods dismiss concerns out of hand
    Shortly afterwards mods decide on a hush hush review
    Mods keep this review quiet until other posters keep highlighing similar concerns

I am very happy with the standard of modding in the thread. It's allowing the topic to be discussed.
    Due to this thread I reviewed a lot of the reported posts and the odd thing slipped through the net.
    Of those that were reported there wasn't many need acting on.
    If I acted on every reported post we'd be told we were over modding and not allowing any discussion. Over modding and not allowing any discussion really angers posters.
    A mod note was added just to remind people not over generalise or use vulgar language. This

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sorry to disagree but i think it is one of the most poorly modded threads I have seen . Just my opinion .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree but i think it is one of the most poorly modded threads I have seen . Just my opinion .

I have to agree. Some years ago there was a large amount of concern about the large amount of mysogyny on AH. It seems that mysogyny is now completely acceptable again on AH. It also seems from this thread that AH moderators dont particularly want any feedback given the dismissiveness and lack of common courtesy in actually saying what they were doing about the comcerns raised until they were pushed on it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think the biggest issue appears to be that the mods are really trying to fight the tide. AH has turned into a very different forum to what most of the rest of the site is like, it's full of trolls, hate, spite and general nastiness that doesn't tie up with what I fell boards as a whole is. The problem then is this: either the mods steer threads into a nicer feel (which many will say is overmodding) or leave it be (which leave AH as the sewer it is). Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

One thing I've noticed is that there is a general tone that's hard to exactly define or report, but it's a nasty place. I avoid. The mods seem (on the basis of this thread at least) to have their backs up against any sort of criticism (constructive or otherwise) which isn't helping either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Most people complaining about moderation are only doing so because they couldn't discuss the topic without attacking posters or demanding moderators posters unjustified they didn't like an opinion ,
    This thread is an example we demand action with a click bait title for effect ,

I have to agree. Some years ago there was a large amount of concern about the large amount of mysogyny on AH. It seems that mysogyny is now completely acceptable again on AH. It also seems from this thread that AH moderators dont particularly want any feedback given the dismissiveness and lack of common courtesy in actually saying what they were doing about the comcerns raised until they were pushed on it.

Any abuse against woman is dealt within reason. Sometimes discussion happen that you may not like.
    I closed a thread the other night that wouldn't have being considered abusive to women.
    If your referring to the Margaret Cash thread peoples issues is mainly due to people abusing the system and it's nothing to do with her gender.

I am of course always open to feed back but other feedback is given not to over moderator and hand out cards/bans/to easy.
    I am doing my best to keep people all sides happy but I am clearly not going to do this for you.
    So, I don't know what else I can say to you.

dulpit wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is that there is a general tone that's hard to exactly define or report, but it's a nasty place. I avoid. The mods seem (on the basis of this thread at least) to have their backs up against any sort of criticism (constructive or otherwise) which isn't helping either...

I understand your issue here and After Hours has changed in some ways but it's up to the users to create threads to make it a bit of fun.
    However if the mods delete everything that somebody didn't like we'd be accused of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In my opinion the thread about Mgt Cash was a shameful thread open to ranting about and insulting a whole group of people . It was allowed go on and posters egging each other on .
    And joey parrot is right that the points raised on this thread were dismissed and feedback given only when poked and prodded to do so .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You will be thread-banned here too if you continue to make unnecessary comments about other members' posting styles in this thread.

Stay on-topic please.

tHB

Any abuse against woman is dealt within reason. Sometimes discussion happen that you may not like.
    I closed a thread the other night that wouldn't have being considered abusive to women.
    If your referring to the Margaret Cash thread peoples issues is mainly due to people abusing the system and it's nothing to do with her gender.

I am of course always open to feed back but other feedback is given not to over moderator and hand out cards/bans/to easy.
    I am doing my best to keep people all sides happy but I am clearly not going to do this for you.
    So, I don't know what else I can say to you.

Ah come on now there were posts about lying on her back permanently, about her breeeding for Ireland, about how she can be poled, about how she likes it bareback, about how she has a dream job of popping out babies, about how she should be assaulted, numerous derogatory comments about her vagina and how many "pricks" had entered it, and then some comments about how the magdalene laundries were fine really.

It is completely untrue to say there was no mysogyny aimed at her. Frankly this is quite bizarre that a moderator would even try to claim such a thing.

Terry Pratchet

Ah come on now there were posts about lying on her back permanently, about her breeeding for Ireland, about how she can be poled, about how she likes it bareback, about how she has a dream job of popping out babies, about how she should be assaulted, numerous derogatory comments about her vagina and how many "pricks" had entered it, and then some comments about how the magdalene laundries were fine really.

It is completely untrue to say there was no mysogyny aimed at her. Frankly this is quite bizarre that a moderator would even try to claim such a thing.

I never claimed there was no misogyny on boards. I have no idea how you picked up on this and if I did some where I didn't intend to.
    I said it was dealt with with reason in general.
    Moderating After Hours is a complected thing to do and sometimes things get out of hand but we sort it out in the end.
    I'll always do my best but I have no intention of turning into a complete dictator of a moderator and editing/moderating everything that might cause the slightest offences.
    Thanks for your feedback there was issues and they were dealt with but not every reported post required dealing with. I have no idea what you expect from the mods in After Hours regarding this issue.

Of course we'll have various types of abuse, sexism, you name it, popping up every day in After Hours and we generally address them and take action if it's required.

I am confused Freshpopcorn. Totally confused about your responses.

I specifically referred to discussions about where Margaret Cash was mentioned. I dont know why you put words into my mouth to broaden this discussion into "no mysogyny on boards".

Its also very confusing that 2 AH moderators have claimed there was mysogyny aimed at Margaret Cash. I have just given 8 or 9 examples of fairly extreme mysogyny about lying on her back permanently, about her breeeding for Ireland, about how she can be poled, about how she likes it bareback, about how she has a dream job of popping out babies, about how she should be assaulted, numerous derogatory comments about her vagina and how many "pricks" had entered it, and then some comments about how the magdalene laundries were fine really.

I'm also confused about why you are turning this into a discussion about you. It isnt about you. Its about moderation.

I expect moderators to acknowledge the fairly extreme mysogyny on show and to moderate the discussion accordingly. It seems that there is a concerted effort to deny it. 2 AH modetators now have denied it. The moderation in the discussion only mentioned posts about children.

I also expect a bit of common courtesy where the review that took place doesnt get shoved into this discussion as an afterthought to mention only because the issue is being pursued.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nothing to see here apparently :rolleyes:

There have been responses on the thread. You do understand we are volunteers so cannot be online 24/7? I responded when I had 1. time 2. after I had talked to the AH mods and 3. when I had something to respond with.

Personally I do not think it is possible for volunteers to give the level of service you want in AH. You would need a couple of people fulltime to give the threads the level of scrutiny that is being requested here.

I am confused Freshpopcorn. Totally confused about your responses.

I specifically referred to discussions about where Margaret Cash was mentioned. I dont know why you put words into my mouth to broaden this discussion into "no mysogyny on boards".

Its also very confusing that 2 AH moderators have claimed there was mysogyny aimed at Margaret Cash. I have just given 8 or 9 examples of fairly extreme mysogyny about lying on her back permanently, about her breeeding for Ireland, about how she can be poled, about how she likes it bareback, about how she has a dream job of popping out babies, about how she should be assaulted, numerous derogatory comments about her vagina and how many "pricks" had entered it, and then some comments about how the magdalene laundries were fine really.

I'm also confused about why you are turning this into a discussion about you. It isnt about you. Its about moderation.

I expect moderators to acknowledge the fairly extreme mysogyny on show and to moderate the discussion accordingly. It seems that there is a concerted effort to deny it. 2 AH modetators now have denied it. The moderation in the discussion only mentioned posts about children.

I also expect a bit of common courtesy where the review that took place doesnt get shoved into this discussion as an afterthought to mention only because the issue is being pursued.

As a moderator I looked into your issues and dealt with them to the best of my ability as did other moderators.
    Sorry if I talked about myself a little in posts.
    I don't really have anything else to say to you but thanks for the feedback and report posts that you feel should be reported..

• Advertisement

I for one think that the opening post in the thread should be changed.

Fresh, you've said "saying fcuking children upsets some people so don't say that". That is sarcasm at it's worst and unprofessional. Surely it should say attacking anyone's children on boards is totally unacceptable behaviour?

Also, no mention whatsoever in the opening post about referring to the lady's genitals as unacceptable behaviour. This needs to be dealt with.

Just to re-iterate just because people may say these things in your circle in real life does not make them acceptable on a public forum that the lady in question may read at some stage or indeed her children or family may read. If you think that is okay then there is a very serious issue going on.

Fresh, you've said "saying fcuking children upsets some people so don't say that". That is sarcasm at it's worst and unprofessional. Surely it should say attacking anyone's children on boards is totally unacceptable behaviour?

Also, no mention whatsoever in the opening post about referring to the lady's genitals as unacceptable behaviour. This needs to be dealt with.

Just to re-iterate just because people may say these things in your circle in real life does not make them acceptable on a public forum that the lady in question may read at some stage or indeed her children or family may read. If you think that is okay then there is a very serious issue going on.

I gave the example and made people aware it upsets some people.
    I said no over generalising this was meant to cover people over generalising the woman because she was from the travelling community.
    If we were to delete every comment that may upset her or her children. They'd be hardly any comments left in the thread.

Just to note when I said comments that may upset her or her family of course certain comments will be dealt with but some people expect any forum of critisim to be deleted because it might upset people.

I gave the example and made people aware it upsets some people.
    I said no over generalising this was meant to cover people over generalising the woman because she was from the travelling community.
    If we were to delete every comment that may upset her or her children. They'd be hardly any comments left in the thread.

You really don't want to listen because as I said you've a bias.

I'm done here.

I agree with this. The moderator warning was not taking the issues raised here seriously at all. It seemed like a huffy response designed to get digs in at anyone for daring to report posts or give feedback about moderation.

There is still no acknowledgement or admission by mods at all that there was quite a lot of misogyny in the thread. That's a very serious issue.

Terry Pratchet

Also BBFAN is correct. Why cant the opening post have a warning in it?

The manner of the mod warning that was more about getting sly digs and no opening post mod warning all seems to show to me you dont really want any feedback or reported posts at all and view posters as a nuisance.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's not just the Margaret Cash thread, though, as anyone with an eye and a brain can see. The "Most Beautiful Women in the World" thread, which one might reasonably expect to be, I dunno *somewhat* complimentary to women is a complete and utter sh*tshow of absolutely appalling comments. Pretty much every thread about women in general or a specific woman descends into absolute viciousness very quickly. The bald-faced fact of the matter is that is acceptable to post opinions about women in AH that A) wouldn't be acceptable about pretty much any other segment of society and B) would get you an immediate and probably extended ban elsewhere on Boards.

I get that AH "isn't like the rest of Boards". I really do. But I don't think that excuses the kind of rhetoric that is tolerated there.

And I'm sorry, but I have to say it - I don't think Freshpopcorn should ever have been appointed as a mod. I think he's far too concerned with fitting in with the "cool kids" in AH to moderate effectively. I'm also not sure he really gets nuance at all. I genuinely don't mean that to be an insult or a personal barb, it's a genuine observation. Sorry, Fpc.

The opening post has a mod warning!
    It as added at
    Last edited by freshpopcorn; 24-09-2018 at 19:26.
    The most beautiful woman in the world thread was created a few months before I became a mod.
    After Hours is different to other areas of Boards.
    Somethings are allowed that wouldn't be allowed in other forum and the reason is because it's After Hours.
    I know some people don't like this answer but some people doesn't want every post dictated/ over moderated either. In the way some of ye accept. People hate it.
    I have always being the same on Boards.ie since I joined. I moderate fairly end effectively.
    Dial Hard I reviewed your reported posts from the past year again and there want much to be done with a lot of them for various reasons.

All I can say is thanks for the feed back some of it will be taken on as will other feed back the after hours moderators received in the past!
    There isn't much more to say on the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Also BBFAN is correct. Why cant the opening post have a warning in it?

The manner of the mod warning that was more about getting sly digs and no opening post mod warning all seems to show to me you dont really want any feedback or reported posts at all and view posters as a nuisance.

Only some users.

Advertisement