Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in the USA

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is important to be alert at all times to the possibility of forgetfully reverting to driving on the left.
    You will be most likely to make a mistake pulling away from a restaurant or gas station in the course of a journey.
    Also on country roads where there is no other traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sounds just like Dublin! Though there they're usually creating two lanes where only one exists ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

The first time I went I was absolutely sh1tting myself when collecting the car for the airport. I only had my full license about two years at the time and I ended up getting on grand, driving in some of the bigger cities was a bit of a pain but I tend to feel this way regardless of what country the city is in. Took my quite a while to the whole turn right on red thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Ha found this out pretty quickly in Oregon, pretty sure its changed since then though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭maconof

Drove there in the summer this year, was worried about driving an automatic on the other side of the road (never drove auto before) but was out of SF airport and onto the highway within 5 mins of sitting into the car. You'll get used to it very quickly.

Things I'd definitely be aware of heading over:
    - Turning right on red (except when there's a sign to explicitly say no to)
    - 4 way stops & the first to arrive takes off first (would love to see how that would go down in Ireland)
    - Overtaking/Driving past school buses in the US - when the lights are flashing & arm is out whether you were going to overtake or driving past on the opposite side of the road you must stop - didn't come across it myself was aware of it just in case, have heard they take it seriously enough.
    - Lane changes on the highway/interstate - be mindful and watching constantly. Found it ok myself even during rush hour in LA.
    - Enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

maconof wrote: »
    Overtaking/Driving past school buses in the US - when the lights are flashing & arm is out whether you were going to overtake or driving past on the opposite side of the road you must stop - didn't come across it myself was aware of it just in case, have heard they take it seriously enough.

In Utah (where the OP is headed), you can continue when travelling in the opposite direction on a dual-carriageway, known as a 'divided highway' in the US......

(2) The operator of a vehicle on a highway, upon meeting or overtaking a school bus equipped with signals required under this section which is displaying alternating flashing:

(a) amber warning light signals, shall slow the vehicle, but may proceed past the school bus using due care and caution at a speed not greater than specified in Subsection 41-6a-601(2) for school zones for the safety of the school children that may be in the vicinity; or
    (b) red light signals visible from the front or rear, shall stop immediately before reaching the busand may not proceed until the flashing red light signals cease operation.

(3) The operator of a vehicle need not stop upon meeting or passing a school bus displaying alternating flashing red light signals if the school bus is traveling in the opposite direction when:

(a) traveling on a divided highway;
    (b) the bus is stopped at an intersection or other place controlled by a traffic-control signal or by a peace officer; or
    (c) on a highway of five or more lanes, which may include a left-turn lane or two-way left turn lane.

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter6A/C41-6a-P13_1800010118000101.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

coylemj wrote: »
    You can continue when travelling in the opposite direction on a dual-carriageway, known as a 'divided highway' in the US......

(2) The operator of a vehicle on a highway, upon meeting or overtaking a school bus equipped with signals required under this section which is displaying alternating flashing:

(a) amber warning light signals, shall slow the vehicle, but may proceed past the school bus using due care and caution at a speed not greater than specified in Subsection 41-6a-601(2) for school zones for the safety of the school children that may be in the vicinity; or
    (b) red light signals visible from the front or rear, shall stop immediately before reaching the busand may not proceed until the flashing red light signals cease operation.

(3) The operator of a vehicle need not stop upon meeting or passing a school bus displaying alternating flashing red light signals if the school bus is traveling in the opposite direction when:

(a) traveling on a divided highway;
    (b) the bus is stopped at an intersection or other place controlled by a traffic-control signal or by a peace officer; or
    (c) on a highway of five or more lanes, which may include a left-turn lane or two-way left turn lane.

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title41/Chapter6A/C41-6a-P13_1800010118000101.pdf

I think its different state by state.

I got done for this in NY.

Talked my way out of it, but still.

I think its different state by state.

+1 It's not in the thread title and it's not mentioned until post #3 but the OP is heading to Utah so I quoted their current regulations. I've updated my post to reflect this as it wasn't clear that I was referring only to Utah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

coylemj wrote: »
    The cops can see if you stopped at the line which is all you are required to do. And I seriously doubt if anybody with paying passengers on board drives like that - slamming on the brakes at the last minute such that the nose of the car dips as you stop. I make a point of not travelling with people who drive like that.

You don't need to be jamming on the brakes, the nose of a car dips under braking and will pop back up when you reach a full stop. American cops watch for this, that's their visual cue that you have stopped as opposed to slowing into the corner and accellerating out without fully stopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

revelman wrote: »
    You can definitely pump your own gas in Oregon - at least I did last time I was there! Not sure about NJ

It's only recently the law changed in Oregon to allow you to pump your own gas in some counties.

https://mashable.com/2018/01/04/oregon-pump-gas-reaction/#BBV0zlj22kql

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Talked my way out of it, but still.

Note that school bus passing is photo-enforced in many places these days; won't be any talking, just a lovely bill for the large fine plus a hefty admin fee from your car hire company well after you've returned from your trip.

Speeding fines also tend to be much higher in most US states than in Ireland. It varies by county and even city, but can often be into the hundreds of dollars even for relatively minor speeding offenses. Be especially careful in school zones and construction zones, as speeding fines are typically much higher if you're caught in those areas. Utah does not have speed cameras as far as I know, so you'd have to be caught and stopped by a police officer to be issued a ticket on the spot, but some neighboring states do use photo enforcement for both speeding and red lights.

In general, expect a lower standard of driving in most of the US, especially on multi-lane roads. Lane discipline is not really a thing there, as it is very rarely enforced, so expect people to cruise in the left lane and pass on the right on a regular basis. Speeding is also very common in places without photo radar, particularly on the Interstates; it varies by area and what the locals know about where the area speed traps usually are, but 10-15 MPH or more over the limit is often the prevailing speed on Interstates and large highways. (The fact that everyone else is going as fast or faster than you will *not* save you from a speeding ticket, though, so you still speed at your own risk...)

If you're venturing out into some of the more remote areas of Utah, make sure you have proper supplies with you, including extra food, water, and blankets, and a compass and good paper map, and make sure someone knows where you are going and when you're supposed to return so that they can call for help if you don't. Keep in mind that you may not have any mobile phone coverage (not even voice or SMS) in the remote wilderness areas. It's not like here where you're never all that far from some sort of civilization and help no matter where you go; if something goes wrong, you could easily find yourself stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the desert with no mobile signal and the nearest inhabited place being a multiple day journey on foot.

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned are road markings. Yellow stripes in the US denote the center line of the road and separate traffic traveling in different directions. White markings separate lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction (and may also demarcate the hard shoulder on a larger highway). Never drive on the left side of a yellow line; you'll be going in the wrong direction.

A double solid yellow center line means the same as a solid white line here; you must not cross it to overtake (however, you are permitted to cross it when making a left turn). A broken yellow line means overtaking is permitted when it's safe to do so. Broken white lines mean lane changes are allowed, solid white lines generally mean they are not allowed (or are at least discouraged; this can vary from state to state).

On some highways, especially in busy areas with many retail driveways, you may see a single center lane with turn arrows pointing both directions, demarcated by a solid and broken yellow line on both sides. This is a "two-way left turn lane" and can be used by traffic from either direction to make left turns. To make a left turn, you should enter the lane no more than a few hundred feet (~100m) before your intended turn (unless there is a longer line of cars already in that lane waiting to turn, then you can join the end of the line). You can then stop in that lane to wait for a break in the oncoming traffic to make your turn. Never drive along in that lane for more than five hundred feet unless you've been sitting in the aforementioned line of traffic.

On the Interstate you may see a lane with diamond markings in it demarcated by a double solid white line; that is a High Occupancy Vehicle (or "carpool") lane, intended to be used only by cars with multiple passengers. If you do use it, make sure your passenger load meets the requirements, and only enter and exit the lane at the allowed points (marked with a dashed white stripe); never cross the double solid white lines. HOV violations can be expensive tickets, so use care.

As others have mentioned, turning right on a red light after coming to a complete stop is permitted in Utah except where there is a sign prohibiting it. You must yield to all other traffic and pedestrians when making such a turn. If you don't feel comfortable making the turn safely, then don't feel obligated to; it is permissible, but not required (though some folks behind you might express their disagreement on that point). Utah also allows left turns on red lights if you are turning from a one-way street onto another one-way street (but never on two-way streets!).

As yield signs are rare in the US, smaller intersections generally use stop signs. Intersections where all of the roads have a stop sign are "all-way stops"; the rule is that the first car to arrive and stop has the right of way at those intersections. If two cars arrive at the same time, you must give way to the car on your right. In practice, most people don't really follow the rules and will often just go whenever they feel like it (if they bother to stop at all), though, so always be ready for other drivers to fail to give way.

Overall you will probably find driving in the US a breeze compared to here (aside from the traffic and the mad scrambles across multiple lanes on the big Interstates). The lanes and roads are much wider, better marked and signed, and generally in better condition than here. Once you get used to driving on the wrong side of the road and sitting on the wrong side of the car (which shouldn't take long at all), you'll likely have no issues.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You don't need to be jamming on the brakes, the nose of a car dips under braking and will pop back up when you reach a full stop. American cops watch for this, that's their visual cue that you have stopped as opposed to slowing into the corner and accellerating out without fully stopping.

When I stop at a junction, you won't see my nose dip because I ease off on the pedal at the last minute. I've driven in Texas and California and never had a problem with the cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

A couple of bits of advice.

• Sat Nav. Not all hire cars have it. It is a must in the US. Pay extra for it if you have to.

• Beware car hire firms at airports. I've had a lot of bad experiences. Mostly, if you arrive in the evening, the car you booked is not available and they give you a lessor one. Also, take out excess insurance, the link is below. They give you "bumper to bumper" insurance but swipe your credit card to cover any excess on the policy, a scratch can costs hundreds of dollars.

https://www.carhireexcess.ie/

• An American friend of mine told me this one: If you get a car you are not happy with, go back to desk and tell them the threads on the tyres are worn and that you would like a note acknowledging that you made them aware of this before you take the car. They will be afraid of liability if you crash so they give you another car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you come across a school bus stopping , chances are you are in a school zone where the speed limit drops to 15 or 20 mph when the lights are flashing. Do not go over that limit in these zones and you're not supposed to pass other cars either, even if there is more than one lane. Where I live there are often police stationed near schools to enforce this, they take it very seriously and the penalties are double what they normally are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can you please clarify OP. Are you going driving a rental in the US for a period or looking to get a job as a driving instructor while you are there?

There seems to be some confusion going by the some of the replies. ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Can you please clarify OP. Are you going driving a rental in the US for a period or looking to get a job as a driving instructor while you are there?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Of all the times I’ve driven there I’ve never had one ounce of trouble! If I were you I’d just go and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

dennyk wrote: »
    Note that school bus passing is photo-enforced in many places these days; won't be any talking, just a lovely bill for the large fine plus a hefty admin fee from your car hire company well after you've returned from your trip.....

For better or for worse I was pulled over by a cop.
    It was a rental car with my American wife and in-laws in it. I told them all to keep quiet and I Irished it up and the cop let me away with a warning.
    A lucky break no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

revelman wrote: »
    I was thinking exactly the same thing. Of all the times I’ve driven there I’ve never had one ounce of trouble! If I were you I’d just go and enjoy it.

Yeah, I was going to summarise with

Get a satnav.
    Keep right.
    It'll be grand.

Advertisement