Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JP McManus donates €100,000 to every GAA county

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I look forward to U2s donation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Well Women are up in arms about this as they are not getting anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Floppybits wrote: »
    Well Women are up in arms about this as they are not getting anything.

So what? If I decide to give Concern a donation in the morning and it becomes public will The Samaritans kick up a fuss then because they didn't get something off me?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Heard a lady on the joe Duffy giving out ladies are getting nothing, if facilities from this money improves pitches, nets , showers, etc, that they also use everybody gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Heard a lady on the joe Duffy giving out ladies are getting nothing, if facilities from this money improves pitches, nets , showers, etc, that they also use everybody gains.

Spot on. As far as i know not a single camogie or lgfa club owns their own ground. In some areas it may ne a community pitch, but in the vast majority of locations it is the GAA club (with the assistance of thrir female members/supporters) who has provided and maintains the GAA infrastructure be used by camogie/lgfa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Well done, J P.
    Your money, your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Spot on. As far as i know not a single camogie or lgfa club owns their own ground. In some areas it may ne a community pitch, but in the vast majority of locations it is the GAA club (with the assistance of thrir female members/supporters) who has provided and maintains the GAA infrastructure be used by camogie/lgfa.

Inniscarra camogie in Cork own their own pitch. I don’t know of another

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

benji79 wrote: »

Don't the camogie board own the pitch in Church Road, Blackrock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Don't the camogie board own the pitch in Church Road, Blackrock ?

THey do. I was only referring to clubs earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

benji79 wrote: »

Fair play to them. Is that a club that caters for girls from what would be numerous gaa clubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

GG66 wrote: »
    His generosity needs some perspective.

He's worth over 1 billion euro. He gave 3.2 million or 0.0032% of his worth.
    Something similar to someone worth 100,000 giving 320 euro

He's gambled more on a game of backgammon in the past and in fact is contesting more than that in the tax on his winnings 4.6m euro

While the impact of his "donation" potentially has a greater impact financially on the recipients it doesn't put him out at all. Plus he gets good PR for it offsetting the fact he avoids paying any tax in Ireland, yet benefits from being a citizen.

This isn't begrudgery, he's gambled well and it's good to see anyone support local communities. Point is, local communities would benefit a lot more if he paid taxes in Ireland. In my opinion he deserves the same credit as most people who donate a few hundred euro to a charity at Christmas time and less than all of us wwho pay at least 20% towards society in the form of taxes every year.
    We all see where our taxes are wasted on scroungers who will never work. Jp wanted his money to go where he knows it will be used for community good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Fair play to them. Is that a club that caters for girls from what would be numerous gaa clubs?

No its just the one parish, maybe a couple of players outside the area but in general the areas around there would have their own clubs.
    Its a bit different alright in that the pitch is within a complex that also has the local gaa pitch, a community pitch, a rugby pitch, soccer pitches and a pitch and putt course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Edgware wrote: »
    We all see where our taxes are wasted on scroungers who will never work. Jp wanted his money to go where he knows it will be used for community good

Anyone who pays their tax in Ireland is contributing to "community good" and paying for the benefits that the tax system provides (roads, education, health, security etc.). If you're earning the average industrial wage in Ireland you're probably giving more to "community good" than JP gives to an individual club and certainly a greater percentage of your earnings.

Social welfare safety nets are also a necessary part of our society to protect the less fortunate, those who find themselves out of work, disabled, the elderly. I'm fortunate enough to be earning and able to contribute to "community good" now and Im glad my children will benefit from the education this provides, the roads that I drive to their school are maintained. But I was damn glad to have our social safety net when I was unemployed for over a year.

Tax avoidance by the wealthy ensures a greater burden falls on lower income earners.

My point again is that people like JP do not in my opinion deserve any special kudos for contributing a small amount of the money they have avoided in tax to their special projects.

My dad (and many volunteers like him) gives more value "every" year in his own volunteer time to his local GAA club than JPs money can buy. The road he travels back and forth to his club several times a week is maintained and the children who turn up to play are educated, kept healthy and in some cases given additional social support. This is paid for by my taxes and yours, not people like JP.

Anyone who pays their tax in Ireland is contributing to "community good" and paying for the benefits that the tax system provides (roads, education, health, security etc.). If you're earning the average industrial wage in Ireland you're probably giving more to "community good" than JP gives to an individual club and certainly a greater percentage of your earnings.

Social welfare safety nets are also a necessary part of our society to protect the less fortunate, those who find themselves out of work, disabled, the elderly. I'm fortunate enough to be earning and able to contribute to "community good" now and Im glad my children will benefit from the education this provides, the roads that I drive to their school are maintained. But I was damn glad to have our social safety net when I was unemployed for over a year.

Tax avoidance by the wealthy ensures a greater burden falls on lower income earners.

My point again is that people like JP do not in my opinion deserve any special kudos for contributing a small amount of the money they have avoided in tax to their special projects.

My dad (and many volunteers like him) gives more value "every" year in his own volunteer time to his local GAA club than JPs money can buy. The road he travels back and forth to his club several times a week is maintained and the children who turn up to play are educated, kept healthy and in some cases given additional social support. This is paid for by my taxes and yours, not people like JP.

You raise valid points and a lot of what you say is bang on. However, at the same time, as someone who is heavily involved in my local club, I think it is a very generous gesture by him and I thank him for it. We have already planned on getting 2 sets of juvenile jerseys and tops for all our underage coaches from it -these are items that wouldn't have been got only for it.

He also gives an unknown amount annually to local charities, community groups, scholarships etc as well as funding Limerick Gaa for years. This is on top of the money he is spending day in and day out in the horse industry here.

I'm of the view, and I'm fully aware many disagree with it, that the man is entitled to conduct his tax affairs as he sees fit within the law, just like most of us do. Unlike many who choose to have their tax affairs managed outside the state though he chooses to contribute millions annually to local organisations and fair play to him for doing so.

That's nearly always the case, yes. In Clare, the camogie board have their own pitch as well as Wolfe Tones camogie club in Shannon in fairness to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are 100% correct.

There are so many "Irishmen" who have become tax exiles, not just J.P. McManus but others like Denis O'Brien, Tony O'Reilly, Sean Quinn etc. I have no time for those who made their money in Ireland but disappeared when it came to paying taxes.

It is one of the reasons I have a huge amount of time for Michael O'Leary who has remained tax resident in Ireland throughout his time in Ryanair, when it would have been simple for him to move elsewhere.

This is just a publicity stunt for J.P. so that the peasants can acknowledge how generous one of their overlords is.

You raise valid points and a lot of what you say is bang on. However, at the same time, as someone who is heavily involved in my local club, I think it is a very generous gesture by him and I thank him for it. We have already planned on getting 2 sets of juvenile jerseys and tops for all our underage coaches from it -these are items that wouldn't have been got only for it.

He also gives an unknown amount annually to local charities, community groups, scholarships etc as well as funding Limerick Gaa for years. This is on top of the money he is spending day in and day out in the horse industry here.

I'm of the view, and I'm fully aware many disagree with it, that the man is entitled to conduct his tax affairs as he sees fit within the law, just like most of us do. Unlike many who choose to have their tax affairs managed outside the state though he chooses to contribute millions annually to local organisations and fair play to him for doing so.

Sure, and in a previous post I've said it is good to see him donate some of this money where others will benefit from it. Other billionaires may choose not to. However many do, usually involving tax avoidance, foundations and supporting a very specific political and economic world view.

I have no questions about the legality of what he is doing but it's no less than I would expect from someone with more money can they can spend on themselves though. Ordinary individuals give a larger % of their income regularly and have less to live off afterwards.

While your club may benefit from a few jerseys, there are other areas of society that suffer from lack of investment. And this isn't assisted by tax avoidance.

My local publican sponsors football jerseys every year, after he has paid tax. I'd have more respect for him to be honest.

So grand, let's give him some credit because he isn't an entirely selfish billionaire and he has a passion for sports. But it isn't an entirely altruistic approach to creating a better society nor is everyone necessarily better off because he gets to choose how his income is shared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

blanch152 wrote: »
    You are 100% correct.

There are so many "Irishmen" who have become tax exiles, not just J.P. McManus but others like Denis O'Brien, Tony O'Reilly, Sean Quinn etc. I have no time for those who made their money in Ireland but disappeared when it came to paying taxes.

It is one of the reasons I have a huge amount of time for Michael O'Leary who has remained tax resident in Ireland throughout his time in Ryanair, when it would have been simple for him to move elsewhere.

This is just a publicity stunt for J.P. so that the peasants can acknowledge how generous one of their overlords is.

O'Leary moving his tax residency to somewhere else would have a minimal impact on how much tax he pays in Ireland.

Regardless of residency, tax is initially levied wherever the income is earned. People getting worked up over tax residency don't seem to understand this basic point. Residency only becomes an issue where an individual has income earned in multiple jurisdictions, and his country of residency can seek to tax the foreign income also (whilst reducing the Irish tax for any foreign tax already paid).

O'Leary is employed by Ryanair in Dublin, and that's where the head office is located. That's the primary source of his income, so no matter where he actually lived and had his tax residency, his Ryanair income would still be subject to Irish tax.

His other big source of income is horse-racing (much like JPMcM) - much of which is tax exempt in Ireland anyway!

If O'Leary moved his tax residency to Malta tomorrow, the impact on how much tax he pays in Ireland would actually be quite minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

PARlance wrote: »
    It's fantastic that he has given so much back. I'm curious as to how he got his wealth as opposed to begrudging to what he does with it. The gambling story is like a fairytale tbh.

He made his money as a bookie rather than a gambler. That "Sunshine Kid" stuff was invented by that eijit Raymond Smyth,

Wouldn't be a huge fan of currency trading as it can wreak havoc on the income of subsistence farmers and small economies if rates change as a consequence of people gambling on fluctuations, which is what he does.

Having said that, he gives a fair bit back unlike most rich people.

As for tax money being used better, that is the function of government rather than the tax payer!

Hundreds of millions are wasted in inefficiencies and local authorities spending local property tax on vanity projects rather than doing what they are supposed to do. Prime example is Dublin city council whose biggest party had McDonald bleating at some homeless protest when her own party is too busy flying fkn Hamas flags rather than building houses and cleaning the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

GG66 wrote:

This would be fair if that's the only thing he has done, but it's not. Like I said in my previous post, as of 2016, he has given about a quarter of billion to various things in Ireland, and has given several million away since then. I don't think I would give as much to the community good as he has, even if I were to live several lives over.

This would be fair if that's the only thing he has done, but it's not. Like I said in my previous post, as of 2016, he has given about a quarter of billion to various things in Ireland, and has given several million away since then. I don't think I would give as much to the community good as he has, even if I were to live several lives over.

Yes he can afford to give a lot more than you. It's all relative to his ability to give. His stated worth is 2 billion, so he's given away just over 10% by your estimates.

Where have you sourced your figures on how much he has donated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yes he can afford to give a lot more than you. It's all relative to his ability to give. His stated worth is 2 billion, so he's given away just over 10% by your estimates.

Where have you sourced your figures on how much he has donated?

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/222360/jp-mcmanus-s-donations-to-good-causes-climb-to-225m.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What's behind two Mayo clubs being left out of it by the county board?

https://www.rte.ie/amp/998855/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Patww79 wrote: »

The County Board and their ever so reliable stupidity.

Left out two small Hurling clubs that are trying to grow the game. JP wouldn't be impressed.

PARlance wrote: »
    The County Board and their ever so reliable stupidity.

Left out two small Hurling clubs that are trying to grow the game. JP wouldn't be impressed.

I'd love to see him give them double each but it would be too open to abuse then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Patww79 wrote: »

The most surprising thing for me in all of this is not the actions of the CB, but the fact that there is a actual hurling club in Balavary.

When did that happen?

The most surprising thing for me in all of this is not the actions of the CB, but the fact that there is a actual hurling club in Balavary.

When did that happen?

I never even heard of the place. When I first read it and before I'd seen Mayo I thought they meant the club in Scarva.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wouldn't donate a tenner to a GAA county board, better off in my pocket so it is, I am great at making up excuses to the ticket sellers at the door coming from all and sundry, some man was selling tickets for a west Tyrone club in south derry, have you heard anything like it?

I wouldn't donate a tenner to a GAA county board, better off in my pocket so it is, I am great at making up excuses to the ticket sellers at the door coming from all and sundry, some man was selling tickets for a west Tyrone club in south derry, have you heard anything like it?

Is that Derry chap on the underdogs from your place Lough Neagh?

Just caught a bit of it tonight. Not very inspiring. Presenters will not be threatening to win any Tony awards for sure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Yes he is from the club that I played for (I don't play now), that tall dark haired man from Tyrone is from the Lough Neagh shore area too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

so Basically the difference between denis o brien and mcmanus is one donates to gaa and the other to soccer,rugby yet they are both tax exiles. O brien has created numerous times more employment than mcmanus has. Clever pr by mcmanus.

What happened with the Mayo thing with the hurling clubs? Did the boarc ever say why they took it on the clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

so Basically the difference between denis o brien and mcmanus is one donates to gaa and the other to soccer,rugby yet they are both tax exiles. O brien has created numerous times more employment than mcmanus has. Clever pr by mcmanus.

The likes of these guys not "create jobs" they employ people as a means to increase their own fortune.

elperello wrote: »
    The likes of these guys not "create jobs" they employ people as a means to increase their own fortune.

Guess who read Das Kapital for dummies! (Not implying that you are a dummy of course!)

Ever since the dawn of commercial human civilization most people have been employed by others mainly for the benefit of others. That was as true of feudalism and socialism as it is of capitalism.

The benign product of that is material advancement. Otherwise we would still be living in caves and living off road kill and berries.

Likes of McManus be far from heroes of mine, but if they give something back then it beats having millions starving in labour camps.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Guess who read Das Kapital for dummies! (Not implying that you are a dummy of course!)

Ever since the dawn of commercial human civilization most people have been employed by others mainly for the benefit of others. That was as true of feudalism and socialism as it is of capitalism.

The benign product of that is material advancement. Otherwise we would still be living in caves and living off road kill and berries.

Likes of McManus be far from heroes of mine, but if they give something back then it beats having millions starving in labour camps.

Yes very good:).

But somewhere between caves and labour camps there is a middle path and if only we were wise enough to follow it we wouldn't need fat chieftains.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

How much of the total sum of JPs award will be used up in banking fees or any other fees? Anyone have an idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Blazedup wrote: »
    How much of the total sum of JPs award will be used up in banking fees or any other fees? Anyone have an idea?
    What’s your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

Theres no point as such. Just a question, any answer to satisfy my curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Our club still haven't got this 'donation'

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Our club still haven't got this 'donation'

If it's going through county boards then I'd say a whole lot of clubs won't see it.

• Advertisement

It depends on what mechanism Mr McManus uses to transfer the money.
    Given his day job I'd hazard a guess that he will use the most cost efficient way.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Blazedup wrote: »

There might be a tiny amount for processing a credit transfer, same as in all bank accounts. Otherwise, the full amount should transfer to each club's accounts.

All clubs in Clare got exactly what they were meant to get. No banking fees, admin fees or otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

All clubs in Clare got exactly what they were meant to get. No banking fees, admin fees or otherwise.

same for Wexford clubs, all issued cheques within days of this being announced.

bruschi wrote: »

Running dogs of capitalist imperialism :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

bruschi wrote: »

Same in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Meath clubs were all issued their money 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Advertisement