Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cure - 8th June 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Playing close to me now, just finished Friday I'm in Love.

I'm at the mound and the sound is fantastic very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The crowd really joining in with Boys don't cry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Could barely hear a word of it.

Funnily enough, sound was only decent when we were on the way out towards the DART. Sounded much clearer in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

A few muddled tracks but I walked a good length of the place and he sounded perfectly fine for nearly all songs?

Awesome gig. Great weather and atmosphere. Loved hearing the wall of sound off old stuff like One Hundred Years. Good mix of hits and oddities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Great gig, but if I was being super critical was too heavily weighted to the end for the better songs. Also thought the crowd was a bit dead to be honest. Band in good form tho, glad I made it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Really torn over that gig. Super excited to see them again since the '89 and '92 concerts but as others said Roberts vocal levels were shockingly low and washy. I was right in front of the sound desk tower for most of the concert and honestly felt like turning around and screaming at them to sort the levels out. Went off to use the toilets and the vocal levels were somewhat better the further you went to the sides. Ended up staying towards the back for the last few songs where you could just about hear things OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

Outdoor gig .... wind .. just been sitting in the bar with the the band in the grand happy days l. Along very civilised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I think you all have a nasty case of old age. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Seems staying back about half way got the best sound results. Cracking gig, Smith in top form and thoroughly enjoying himself.

The modest perfectionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Opening with Shake Dog Shake into Burn.

Great performance. Great sound where I was. Great set. Awful prosessco and wellies crowd with their browbeaten, two-pint husbands.

Still.

Savage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Is that really the first time they've played Wendy Time since 1992?

One of my favourite Cure songs

Brilliant to hear it

From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea was the one I really wanted to hear above all others and did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Great gig. Great sound. Smith in great form. Sound was very good where I was. Very impressed with the show and the set list. One of my all time favourite bands and yet I never saw them before. Was not disappointed. Ticked all my boxes. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Delighted to have finally seen the cure, crowd were hopeless though most probably only knew a handful of songs typified by the flat response when an epic like Fascination Street was being played.

The sound was pretty bad which was a pity because the band put in a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I saw one unhappy comment that "they played maybe one song off the first four albums". If you include the two from the Japanese Whispers compilation (the songs are the same vintage, so I'm counting them), they did seven songs from that era. That's a quarter of the set!

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Any outdoor gig, especially dealing with wind issues, move. Find a desirable spot. Halfway back, no issues with the mix. Great crowd, great day out. Friday I'm in love is one of the worst songs ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I normally go early and get right up the front at standing gigs, but I took a different approach yesterday, arriving only in time for The Cure.
    I was off to the side on the right (which meant the wind was blowing in our direction); near the front, in relative terms. Close enough to see the band pretty well, without having to rely exclusively on the screens. I had no issues with sound, especially not the vocals, and was really surprised to see complaints about it, both here and on Twitter. I thought there was great clarity and separation for the whole show.
    I'm not a tolerant person, but I tend to approach these big event gigs assuming a worst case scenario, which - in relative terms - then tends to make things more bearable. So I can put up with the inevitable chat (within reason) and the noticeable mass movement of people, trying to manoeuvre out to the bar when the band does something they don't know.
    As such, between the solid setlist and not having to endure any major stupidity, it was honestly one of the most enjoyable outdoor gigs I've been to.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I normally go early and get right up the front at standing gigs, but I took a different approach yesterday, arriving only in time for The Cure.
    I was off to the side on the right (which meant the wind was blowing in our direction); near the front, in relative terms. Close enough to see the band pretty well, without having to rely exclusively on the screens. I had no issues with sound, especially not the vocals, and was really surprised to see complaints about it, both here and on Twitter. I thought there was great clarity and separation for the whole show.
    I'm not a tolerant person, but I tend to approach these big event gigs assuming a worst case scenario, which - in relative terms - then tends to make things more bearable. So I can put up with the inevitable chat (within reason) and the noticeable mass movement of people, trying to manoeuvre out to the bar when the band does something they don't know.
    As such, between the solid setlist and not having to endure any major stupidity, it was honestly one of the most enjoyable outdoor gigs I've been to.

Exact same thoughts here...surpassed my expectations on all fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Very enjoyable concert. Moved back and slightly right and the sound was fine. Great to have a new Balearic moment (Just One Kiss) and Wendy Time was a real surprise - they didn’t play it in The Point Wish tour. Play For Today divine. Brilliant One Hundred Years. Top encore too; time really stands still at a Cure gig. Access to bars, food, toilets was no hassle. Decided to leave via the car park (was walking) and got a taxi nearly straight away to my friend’s house where my car was. Back here by 12.20am.

Here’s what was played:

Shake Dog Shake
    Burn
    From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea
    A Night Like This
    Pictures Of You
    High
    Just One Kiss
    Lovesong
    Just Like Heaven
    Last Dance
    Fascination Street
    Never Enough
    Wendy Time
    The Walk
    Push
    In Between Days
    Play For Today
    A Forest
    Primary
    Want
    One Hundred Years
    Lullaby
    The Caterpillar
    Doing The Unstuck
    Friday I'm In Love
    Close To Me
    Why Can't I Be You?
    Boys Don't Cry

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

That was my 8th time seeing them and I really enjoyed it. I was to the right of the big screen in the middle and the sound was really good. Shake Dog Shake was a brilliant opener and I loved Push.

It was pretty much what I expected, with lots of their popular songs and a few unusual ones (Wendy Time, Just One Kiss and 39). I was with 3 people who had never seen the Cure live and they all loved the gig!

Special mention to The Twilight Sad and Ride who were very good as well.

It was a beautiful day - sun, beer and great music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

Thought it was a brilliant gig all round. Got in early enough and caught the end of The Twilight Sad. Seemed pretty good for the few songs I caught. Ride then we're sensational as always. Brilliant set just a shame they couldn't play longer. The cure themselves were amazing. Great mix of older and newer stuff, and Smith's vocals were pretty perfect. Crowd was right up for it as well. Altogether one of the best outdoor gigs I've been at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Not a big fan of the Cure but really enjoyed that.
    The part I liked most was for about an hour they played songs I didn't know. Seemed to be the part of the concert up to and a little after A Forest. These could be massive tunes for the band but as I said I'm no fan.
    There was everything in these songs that makes live music do special. It was bluesy moody and atmospheric.
    Great to witness.
    I definitely would go and see them again.
    A great live band

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

Thought the sound at the gig was horrendous. Could barely hear a word Smith was saying. Moved around and it was a bit better towards the back but still nowhere near as good as it should have been. The band put on a great performance but the sound was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah what a great day. Few scoops with my missus in the sun - in the sun!! - caught Vapour trail from Ride, love that song and then the Cure were perfect. Would have loved 10.15 Saturday night but otherwise great set. Everyone in top form, lovely crowd as far as I could see, Smith loving life, this is how outdoor gigs are meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Great show. Brilliant to hear the likes of Doing The Unstuck and Just One Kiss. Great versions of A Forest and 100 Years.

I echo the sentiments of someone above re. some of the crowd with not even a stir out of then for Fascination Street!!! Like come on!

But there's no law against coming to a gig for just 3 songs. So you make your own fun right and we did.

Long time since I was at a Malahide Castle gig. It's very well set-up and organize. Hope there's someone on next year I want to see.

No sound issues where we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Great show. Small bit didappo8nted they didn't play a burst of short lively first album songs though.
    Killing an arab, 1015 Saturday night, fire in Cairo, grinding halt etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I was there more for Ride, who were brilliant but the crowd didn't have a clue. Thought they would as they're not young. The Cure were as good as always - wow Simon Gallup is looking sexy, and nearly 60! In unreal shape.

Agreed about the sound and crowd. Bit lacking.

The women's toilets were crazy - kill or be killed. And we got stuck in Malahide for hours due to no taxis (were staying by airport).

Really nice venue and vibe though.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Awful prosessco and wellies crowd with their browbeaten, two-pint husbands.
    Perfection. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Play for Today, A Forest, 100 Years were epic I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

You sound like a barrel of laughs

• Advertisement

s8n wrote: »
    You sound like a barrel of laughs
    That's really not necessary. And they were pointing out the positives.

Advertisement