Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cure - 8th June 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Bruce2008

Was just left of stage at the stage barrier for full day. Just Mustard were brilliant!? Some contrast in vocals! Great sound as well! Hope to see them again.

Then for The Twilight Sad, Ride and the Cure the sound seemed more muffled, maybe it was my hearing damaged being so close to the speakers! Great performances from all.

Loved the Cure, songs for everyone in the audience, even if no movement out of some of the crowd, but like someone said, they paid too!

Good venue might just move around next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

s8n wrote: »
    You sound like a barrel of laughs

And you sound like you have completely misunderstood my post, since my remarks about the gig are all positive.

Given the complaints earlier in the thread and elsewhere online about some people not being interested in unfamiliar songs, going in and out and talking too much, my point is that if you go to these big gigs with an element of expectation for that type of thing (which is inevitable), then - in relative terms - it doesn't bother you that much. Nothing to warrant your comment.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have been sent a few clips on whatsapp, mainly from people facing the stage from the left, but the sound is great there too, or at least itis in the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey peeps, what time did the gig finish last night and what were the Q's for the DART like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Absolutely mind blowing. I took my 15 year old daughter and her pal. They positioned themselves right at the front and were awestruck :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hey peeps, what time did the gig finish last night and what were the Q's for the DART like ?

Gig finished about 10.45 (was supposed to be 10.30 but they played about 7 encores) and in terms of getting out of there there were coaches for a tenner which are probably easier to get on as we dont, as a nation, put on extra public transport just because there are 20,000 people who would like to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Had a great night at this. I live about 15 minutes away so was handy for myself. Just Mustard were the best of the support bands IMO. The Cure were just brilliant I was in the left just inside the sound desk and had great sound. No issues at all. Enjoyed all the songs even the few I didn’t know since I’m not a massive fan. Lullaby was just wonderful a real moment for me. It was a great gig. *****

• Subscribers Posts: 41,616 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I wouldnt be the biggest cure fan, but I'm of that age and I was a fan of the much maligined wish album, so I was delighted to hear EOTDGS, high, Friday and Wendy time.... But the highlight for me was A forest....
    They were louder and heavier than I expected, which is more up my street, and I think the sound issues could have more to do with the ear drums of individuals, plus the nearby chatter. We moved after about a quarter into the set towards the middle and the sound was better... Mainly due to being beside fans who actually wanted to dance and sing, and not having to listen to gibsh!tes sh!te on about work crap.

A solid four star gig for me.
    Lovely setting.
    Getting out of the car park at the end was a bit of a pain as it looked like only half the area was stewarded....
    Gig finished at 10:45, in car by 11, out of car park at 11:45 and back home in laois before 1am.... Not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Gig finished at 10:52 pm

There were a couple of extra DARTs put on to take the crowd

Bit of queueing for them but nothing too awful

They only went as far as Connolly

But was well after midnight before I was back in town

12:35 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was about 20 rows from the front. Couldn't hear a thing. Just sounded like a muddy mess. Now sitting near one of the bars and it sounds a lot better but the vocals are far too low

Those are sets of stereo speakers at either sides of the stage so in line with either side will give you good sound, you'd assume between the 2 is best but it's not, the wind also has a bit to do with it.
    It's not there's anything wrong with the sound just happen to be where your standing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The Walk was my favourite - awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

kudos to just mustard playing in front of a fairly big crowd with robert smith watching from the side-some pressure but they didn't look remotely out of place! whole day was great in a v good venue

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Did someone up the thread say the band were staying in The Grand? I was there myself but went to a friend's gaff after and didn't get back until 1.30am. Guess I missed them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Would anyone have a few clips of Twilight Sad ?? They were fantastic

skD13 wrote: »
    Did someone up the thread say the band were staying in The Grand? I was there myself but went to a friend's gaff after and didn't get back until 1.30am. Guess I missed them :(

Update. They were in The Grand. Some pics floating around on Instagram.

Anyway, even if I did see them, I'm not sure I'd have the temerity to approach and ask for a pic. Have been close to other stars before and just thought 'they probably just want to be left alone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

Update. They were in The Grand. Some pics floating around on Instagram.

Anyway, even if I did see them, I'm not sure I'd have the temerity to approach and ask for a pic. Have been close to other stars before and just thought 'they probably just want to be left alone'.

They were at the bar in the Grand alright after the gig, my Mrs went over and said hello. They asked that no photos be taken, bass player and guitarist were all I recognised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Just listening to the Twilight Sad there now. They sound great. I missed a trick there. Next time.

glucifer wrote: »
    They were at the bar in the Grand alright after the gig, my Mrs went over and said hello. They asked that no photos be taken, bass player and guitarist were all I recognised

Nice for her. An auld "hello" would have been cool. Probably just a well I didn't see them anyway as I was pretty well on it and would have made a dope of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Yesterday,not only did I get to see the cure but also bumped into one of my all time favourite guitar players ever during Ride's set. Kevin Shields from My bloody Valentine Is such a gent. Really made my day even more epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Yesterday,not only did I get to see the cure but also bumped into one of my all time favourite guitar players ever during Ride's set. Kevin Shields from My bloody Valentine I'd such a gent. Really made my day even more epic.

JFC, bumping into Kevin Shields during Ride, perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

JFC, bumping into Kevin Shields during Ride, perfect!

My thoughts exactly. Was standing close to the sound desk,ride had just started,I Turned to the left and he was just standing beside me. Asked for a picture and he was more than happy. Such a lovely guy. My wife didn't know who he was and even said that he gives off a lovely vibe. Made my year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Suckit wrote: »

F*ck me, Jo Brands let herself go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Suckit wrote: »

I was waiting for this track for ages, ****ing love this song and it did not disappoint :cool:

Brilliant gig, would not know all the set that was played but I really enjoyed the gig, and it was a privilege to hear Robert Smith and the band live.
    Vocals were a bit muffled or low early on but improved after a few songs

Easy to drive into and got out easy as well, all in all a brilliant day, great to see people my own age who knew most of the songs singing along and re-living their childhood :D

There are photographs on Instagram of them in the Grand apparently, by different people who met them.

I'm not on instagram so I haven't seen them apart from one or two that were sent to me by someone else that saw the photographs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Robert Smith was in Pennys on Henry st. on Sunday looking at black shirts.

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Thought that was one of the best outdoor gigs I've been to in a long while

Surprised to hear complaints on the sound, we thought it was fantastic just at the right of the centre tower (with the vocals being maybe a bit low at the beginning)

Just Mustard made a few new fans, will be checking them out at ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

maximoose wrote: »
    Thought that was one of the best outdoor gigs I've been to in a long while

Surprised to hear complaints on the sound, we thought it was fantastic just at the right of the centre tower (with the vocals being maybe a bit low at the beginning)

Just Mustard made a few new fans, will be checking them out at ATN

A place that size, the sound can't be right across the whole site. If I found the sound a bit sh I would move around til it improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Did the car park fill up early? And how long was the walk from there to the gig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Great gig!

No complaints on the sound from where we were. Just to the front left of the sound desk.

Thought the band sounded excellent - very tight!

Advertisement