Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cure - 8th June 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I remember after seeing them in 1989 I bought a crappy C90 of the gig on O’Connell Bridge for a fiver. Now you can see the whole concert, start to end, in 1080p and yer man was standing right beside me. I can even see the back of my head. What a time to be alive.

And what a gig. An afternoon of great music (will have to see Just Mustard again!). The lads wander on stage and belt out 2 hours without drawing breath and make it look effortless. And Simon Gallup looks like he’s done a deal with the devil. I was exhausted just looking at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Best gig I've been too for a long time, loved every minute of it. Delighted with the setlist, especially 'Push', didn't expect that and had been wishing for it for a long time. Would have also loved 'A Strange Day' but maybe next time. Incredibly in-tune, tight, and synced playing from them. Just brilliant. My view wasn't great I was behind the screens further back and it was a bit chilly but I was jumping around to every track and had a fantastic night. The sound was great! Going back this week for Mumford too, and I'm already looking forward to that.

Do wish I'd avoided the lure of a burger.... pure muck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Agree that the sound was muddy for the first few songs; we were just on front of the middle speaker stack to the right. Once the gig got to midway it was perfect. A Forest was a highlight; Close To Me sounded just like a recording! The screens were great - crystal clear picture and the shots were pretty good.

Crowd was fine, no nutters; queues for drinks weren't bad; the burger I had was also not great.

Enjoyed Ride but was a very short set - luckily I'd just seen them in Limerick on Thursday! That was an amazing gig.

Got out easily enough with the droves of people, we had parked about 20 mins walk away so that wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

queues for drinks weren't bad

I thought the overall setup was fantastic. Two huge bars eitherside taking card, feck all queuing and even most of the food trucks were taking card - wish there was more Malahide gigs on I was interested in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

maximoose wrote: »
    I thought the overall setup was fantastic. Two huge bars eitherside taking card, feck all queuing and even most of the food trucks were taking card - wish there was more Malahide gigs on I was interested in :pac:

Yeah it's a very well run event. Only downside is the sheer numbers trying to get taxis or public transport.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a very well run event. Only downside is the sheer numbers trying to get taxis or public transport.

The only problem I had was the Marathon bus setup. The same huge queue if you were buying a ticket or if you had a prebooked one. How hard is it to have a second queue setup to give out armbands?

Still, I was sitting in Brew Dock before the first dart of cureheads arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Agree that the sound was muddy for the first few songs; we were just on front of the middle speaker stack to the right. Once the gig got to midway it was perfect. A Forest was a highlight; Close To Me sounded just like a recording! The screens were great - crystal clear picture and the shots were pretty good.

Crowd was fine, no nutters; queues for drinks weren't bad; the burger I had was also not great.

Enjoyed Ride but was a very short set - luckily I'd just seen them in Limerick on Thursday! That was an amazing gig.

Got out easily enough with the droves of people, we had parked about 20 mins walk away so that wasn't too bad.
    Minus the trumpets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

stimpson wrote: »
    The lads wander on stage and belt out 2 hours without drawing breath and make it look effortless. And Simon Gallup looks like he’s done a deal with the devil. I was exhausted just looking at him.
    Unreal. Youngest 59-year-old ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

Saw them in 89 and 92 and lost interest in the “new” stuff after that. Enjoyed it on Saturday but didn’t think it was memorable. Sound was ok , left side of sound desk. Screens were very sharp and no noticeable lag behind sound that I could see. Was a bit disappointed with the set , opening with shake dog shake was great but burn and deep green sea dragged a bit. It was all a bit stop start for me. Once they played the walk it took off, and following it with push,in between days,play for today,a forest and primary was the highlight. Finishing with 100 years was classic as there were a lot of wtf looks from the part of the crowd I was in. Crowd itself was a weird mix, some dodgy characters around as with all concerts but you’d expect that.

It was all good fun, but I don’t think I’d go to them again.

Minus the trumpets

I’m outing myself as a Cure nerd here, but the trumpets aren’t on the album version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I was about 30 metres to the right of the sound desk/speakers/big screen and the sound - just for Robert Smith - was ****e, but only for about the first 30 minutes. The vocal was completely buried and we couldn't make out the little he did say. The instruments sounded fine, though. After the first half hour or so, the sound vastly improved.

Great gig, really enjoyed it. The crowd were fine where we were and there was a brilliant atmosphere.

Bar service was fine - Workers Beer Company FTW! Getting out of the venue afterwards was a pain in the arse... back in the car by 11, took us about 45 minutes to move the 400 metres to the entrance. Saw our first steward after about 40 minutes, just before we left! For whatever reason, the guards wouldn't let us take a left to go home via Portmarnock, we had to go via the Malahide Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Crowd was fine, no nutters;

We were to the right of the sound desk and there was a bunch of spanners absolutely pissed out of their heads falling all around the place and just generally annoying everyone around them. They weren't looking for fights or anything, they were just gobshytes. They were all in their mid to late forties at least and looked like an AGM of the local Macra na Feirme gone on the lash.

Apart from that, the crowd was great and there was no pushing or shoving getting out of the place afterwards. Had no issues with the sound much apart from the wind whipping the sound away once or twice but it didn't last long. Robert Smith sounded great - his voice has really held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

I’m outing myself as a Cure nerd here, but the trumpets aren’t on the album version.
    Never copped that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Which actually should be an easy problem to solve with a bit of will given there’s a Dart station at the entrance.....but hey this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Never copped that

3 versions in '85, 2 in '90

The Head On The Door album version
    7" remix
    12" mix
    7" mix 1990 (AKA Closest Mix)
    12" mix 1990 (AKA Closer Mix)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

3 versions in '85, 2 in '90

The Head On The Door album version
    7" remix
    12" mix
    7" mix 1990 (AKA Closest Mix)
    12" mix 1990 (AKA Closer Mix)

Did they reissue a remastered head on the door recently with the trumpets on it?

The version with the brass is on Staring At the Sea if anyone is looking for it.

Did they reissue a remastered head on the door recently with the trumpets on it?

The remaster just has demos on the second disc.

The version with the brass is on Staring At the Sea if anyone is looking for it.

The best place to hear it. I hate when singles compilations / best ofs / greatest hits include album versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Cloudio9 wrote: »

Which actually should be an easy problem to solve with a bit of will given there’s a Dart station at the entrance.....but hey this is Ireland.

Great gig. Would not be a total Cure head but it was a nice mix of the hits and lesser known songs, some but not all of which I knew. Weather defo helped and very good atmosphere. Didn't notice as many event junkies as some big gigs. Where I was on line with the left side speakers not too far from the sound desk a lot of people seemed to know a lot of songs.

But this above would be my gripe. Waiting on a dart with the station gates closed. Bit of a tight squeeze and then when they opened people were kind of running. Someone trips and there could be a serious accident. Then an hour to dart back into Conolly. Was home in Walkinstown about 1am. Saw someone else here was back in Laois by then!

Think I'd only go back there for a gig for someone I really wanted to see and might drive. Car park looked half empty too I thought as we were leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

He's just the coolest, always was!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The best place to hear it. I hate when singles compilations / best ofs / greatest hits include album versions.

Unless the single version is a horribly butchered radio edit, in which case, I'd always prefer the album version. Exhibit A: David Bowie - Young Americans.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

That version is more common on Bowie compilations (it’s on 1990 ChangesBowie plus the 1993 Singles). But the vast majority of single mixes will be shorter and the most logical place to anthologise them is on a compilation. Ultimately if I want to hear the album version, I’ll just play the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Meathcat

He has been a cyclist for at least 30 years so that probably helps! He looks amazing and his energy was something else on Saturday, he was the only one continually moving. Loved The Cure's set and it was fantastic that they played for over 2 1/2 hours.

Great gig, brilliant atmosphere. Ride were brilliant as well, though as previously stated, their set was short (disappointingly so) and 'Drive Blind' was missed. Saw them in Limerick on Thursday though so I'm glad I got to see them in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

My missus (not a massive Cure fan) was asking who the "young lad" was that was jumping around so much... was he new? :)

I watched that concert video via Chromecast on my TV last night. Really good quality for a bootleg. Great to watch it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rothko wrote: »
    A full video of the gig

Some bellend filmed the whole thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Nal wrote: »

Never understood that mentality of that. Just live in the moment, gobshyte. Also put the phone down so you're not blocking's other people view of the gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

The Nal wrote: »

yes and personally i thank said bellend! great video
    sure, its not something i would do but glad he did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

I'm glad he did too :pac:. I never even take a pic at gigs !!!

Advertisement