Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cure - 8th June 2019

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Surely he didnt hold up a phone for 2+ hours, some sort of basic tripod maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Wildsurfer wrote: »

I would think so as it's great quality.

Heard a lot of people complaining the sound was awful. I didn't find that at all...what ye all think??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I read on the YouTube video that it was a small chest rig so I'm happy to watch the video since he must not have blocked anyone.. Seems like a super fan that's following them around..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Heard a lot of people complaining the sound was awful. I didn't find that at all...what ye all think??

Sound was fine for me, Robert perhaps a bit low in the mix for the first song or two. Standing centre or to the left helped negate any wind issues..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I read on the YouTube video that it was a small chest rig so I'm happy to watch the video since he must not have blocked anyone.. Seems like a super fan that's following them around..

It used to be that you couldn't bring a camera or a walkman into gigs because of bootlegging fears, how is he getting in with a pro-level video setup? Or do they just not care anymore because everyone now has a video camera on their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Someone in the YouTube comments asked if he was the guy with the "chest rig" or something.

<edit>As someone else already mentioned above.</edit>

I'm not a fan of the constant filiming myself either, but hypocritically, I loved watching this back.

Maybe just one of these "professional" bootleggers should be allowed to record at gigs while the rest of us are banned from taking our phones out of our pockets. Now how could we engineer that one :rolleyes:.

loyatemu wrote: »
    It used to be that you couldn't bring a camera or a walkman into gigs because of bootlegging fears, how is he getting in with a pro-level video setup? Or do they just not care anymore because everyone now has a video camera on their phone.

I'm guessing it was a small thing and he wore the chest straps in which would have passed security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

What's the general consensus of Malahide as a venue? Going to George Ezra with er' indoors shortly and have never been. We've booked into the grand for the night anyway so no worries about access but in terms of facilities inside, bars, food stands, toilets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

What's the general consensus of Malahide as a venue? Going to George Ezra with er' indoors shortly and have never been. We've booked into the grand for the night anyway so no worries about access but in terms of facilities inside, bars, food stands, toilets etc.

Pretty good. It was my first time at an outdoor concert that size (outside of festivals) and I was fairly impressed with the setup.

Not that long of a walk from carpark to gate, no queue to get in, thorough but quick security check, never had to queue for a pint, okay selection of food (could probably have been better, queues for food got long enough later into the day). Despite The Cure being a sell out it didn't feel overly packed and you had breathing space even around the sound desk area. It was a mature crowd at it generally though so maybe these people just know how to behave more so than thousands of younger people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Sound was fine for me, Robert perhaps a bit low in the mix for the first song or two. Standing centre or to the left helped negate any wind issues..

I remember him gesturing to someone (mixing desk ??) near the time he switched guitars, pointing to his mouth and ear, it seemed he was saying something was wrong with the levels.
    I was standing to the left and was impressed how well they all sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

As a venue it's excellent, and if you're staying in the Grand you'll only have a 15- or 20-minute walk. Two really long bars on either side, staffed by the Workers Beer Company, so service is quick (if limited to Heineken products), a variety of food stands, and a decent number of portaloos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Pretty good. It was my first time at an outdoor concert that size (outside of festivals) and I was fairly impressed with the setup.

Not that long of a walk from carpark to gate, no queue to get in, thorough but quick security check, never had to queue for a pint, okay selection of food (could probably have been better, queues for food got long enough later into the day). Despite The Cure being a sell out it didn't feel overly packed and you had breathing space even around the sound desk area. It was a mature crowd at it generally though so maybe these people just know how to behave more so than thousands of younger people!

Aye, I'd imagine the demographic for George may be slightly younger than that for the Cure. Hopefully there aren't too many rowdy teens skylarking.

/shakes walking stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Aye, I'd imagine the demographic for George may be slightly younger than that for the Cure. Hopefully there aren't too many rowdy teens skylarking.

/shakes walking stick

We sat outside in the car-park having a few cans of beer and G&T listening to the support.
    Some things I seen, that I hadn't seen before at a gig.
    1. A french guy with a bottle of red wine, trying to get some of it drank, as they wouldn't allow him in with it, i'm sure he left half a bottle.
    2. A couple with wooden deck chairs walking towards security, i'm not sure if they got in with them.

Avoid the prosecco, it's a rip-off. The red wine and beer was reasonable enough. I didn't eat at any of the food stalls, but the Eddie Rockets hot dogs looked the best of the bunch.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

One stand did "pizza cones" which I had never seen before, and they were great. I hope they make an appearance at all the summer festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

One stand did "pizza cones" which I had never seen before, and they were great. I hope they make an appearance at all the summer festivals.

These were fantastic!

Gotta let them cool though as it was like lava if you just went straight in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭blue note

I had a great time at this gig. I was just right of the sound stage and the sound wasn't perfect, but it was an outdoor gig so it didn't bother me at all. I'll confess to not knowing a lot of the stuff - I only have a best of and disintegration. But they played loads of their hits and the other stuff was all great anyway.

My brother in law was there too and left midway through. All the stuff sounded the same and he didn't know any of it he said. It was a free ticket, but still, what a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

The first few tracks lost the casual fan alright. Most of my crew were scratching their heads which is a shame because Night Like This and Deep Green Sea are such beautiful tracks. Once Pictures of You kicked in everyone was happy, and from then I think they paced the show well to suit all. The last 3 tracks in the main set might have thrown the casual fan also, but the encore was a pop hit wonder.

For me, the gig could only have been topped by maybe Grinding Halt or Jumping Someone Else's Train in the encore.

Hard to know whether I prefered this gig or my last time seeing them in Amsterdam in 2016. Think I mentioned before there were 3 encores (main set was much shorter though and ultimately they only played 1 more track than Malahide) and one of them comprised 4 numbers from Seventeen Seconds. That was hard to beat if you're a fan of that album.

It really was a great day and I think it's a great venue and very well managed. I'll probably go back next there if there's a band that even remotely interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Twilight Sad playing their own gig here in October:

https://www.facebook.com/TicketmasterIE/photos/a.10150104719132271/10155925704412271/
    The Twilight Sad (Official) live at The Button Factory on 16 October 2019. Tickets on sale Friday 14 June at 9AM http://bit.ly/2XbcWbZ

Bloody marvellous...thanks for that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

For anyone with withdrawal symptoms & wanting to relive a little bit of the gig again, here's a multicamera mix I put together of A Forest...

Hope you may enjoy..

That's awesome Bonoman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

That's awesome Bonoman :pac:

You're welcome - no problem - glad you like the edit.

Cheers

Advertisement