Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running on Hypermobile Joints

• 24-09-2018 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have been a runner for a number of years. Last year I ran a half-marathon in 1.40 hours. However I stopped after this due to constant pain and stiffness I was feeling after training. I am double jointed in my elbows and knees (hypermobile joints). Does anyone know if running is going to cause me long term damage in the future if I continue given the physical nature of my body?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

opfleet wrote: »
    I have been a runner for a number of years. Last year I ran a half-marathon in 1.40 hours. However I stopped after this due to constant pain and stiffness I was feeling after training. I am double jointed in my elbows and knees (hypermobile joints). Does anyone know if running is going to cause me long term damage in the future if I continue given the physical nature of my body?

My son has hypermobile joints and the advice i've been given is that he can't do enough exercise as the key is to strengthen the muscles to support/control the joints. But i am not sure if the advice is different for growing children than adults.... He is under the care of both a Physiotherapist and an Occupational Therapist - have you either of these types of professionals at your disposal to approach for advice as i feel you will get better advise from a professional than on a running forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I have hypermobility in my ankle joints I have seen a physio for it and have exercises from him to strengthen the muscles surrounding them, but as Arianna has said exercising really helps as well :) I am a lot better now than I was before I started running.

Advertisement