Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car time for James Bond Junior

• 24-09-2018 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭

Changing my car has been on my mind the past while. My 2006 S60 has 155k miles up on her, the auto gearbox is very clunky to change and can't be driven hard without flaring, it has a slight oil leak, a slight coolant leak, is due a service, 2 new tyres soon enough and needs a new battery. NCT is in November although it flew through last year 1st time. Added to that it is a PIG on diesel, barely scraping 40 mpg and I do a 100km a day round trip on basically an N road the whole way meaning I spend roughly €3500 a year on diesel. I don't drive it over the summer holidays but my 2.5 petrol BMW picks up that slack. On top of that it costs just north of €900 to tax and insurance is up near a €1000 because of the "huge" 2.4 engine and that's with the teachers chape insurance. Parts are nuts as everything is either dealer only or if it is spurious, tends to be dear even with my motor factors link.

Realistically I can afford to spend up to 20k or go the whole hog on a golf/leon/focus on PCP but Ms. Moneypenny and I are getting hitched next summer, before hopefully moving to the desert for a year or two, so that doesn't really make any sense.

My thoughts are 1) Keep the Volvo ticking over until she goes bang, the above issues are there over a year so she should keep going I think.

2) Come up a few years to something on the cheap tax band which doesn't have issues and which can be sold on easily enough with a budget of €4000 or less.

Even getting a car costing €390 to tax such as the one linked would save the guts of €500 alone and I reckon another €1250 could be saved on my diesel bill with something a little more frugal. A more modern Volvo shares its parts with Ford so another potential saving. New discs and pads on the S60 were over €200 last time and she seems to permanently need bearings, engine mounts and front suspension bits due to the heft of the engine.

Thoughts, baring in mind it only needs to last me until the end of next June? On the plus side it is VERY comfy and I am fond of the big old lump. It's like a trusty old labrador who pees on the carpet, is half blind, smells suspect and has a wing of the local vets practice named after him but you love either way because you know it would be impossible to replace with something half as good.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-c30-r-line/19757711

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Would you consider a gs450h.

More than capable of replacing a Volvo. Just a big comfortable rocket with 35mpg (I know you want more but for the power you get it's good) and good reliability.

The older model is nicer (pre 2011)

pinktoe wrote: »
    Would you consider a gs450h.

More than capable of replacing a Volvo. Just a big comfortable rocket with 35mpg (I know you want more but for the power you get it's good) and good reliability.

The older model is nicer (pre 2011)

I would but I don't think a hybrid would suit my driving. 45 mins each way at 100 km/h defeats the purpose of a hybrid. If I was doing all city mileage it would be something I'd have quite likely bought.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it was James bond senior the only 2 cars in your budget are a 730d and an Audi A5. Can't remember which movies but both bond mobiles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I was in your boat up to last week. Had 06 BMW e60 and wanted to come up a few years for small money buying in cash. Then decided feck it and bought a 142 530d for a decent whack of cash and stopped my messing. It will be years before i look to change again now though.
    For small money I could only really see myself in another e60 and said what's the point, mine was running fine.
    However if I was planning on heading away in next year or so I'd have stuck with my trusty e60 I think you should stick with the Volvo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Stick with the Volvo.

Buy something shiney for the E46 to scratch the new something or other itch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If you're moving abroad for a while, I don't see any point in spending the guts of €20k. Run the current car into the ground and then upgrade when you come back.

I think I needed to write it down to process it in my head. Getting rid unless it actually dies makes no sense at all.

Ok, she is now actually dying. It's pissing oil, coolant and has a serious enough leak from the steering rack. Passing the NCT is not going to happen. I have a week off next week and have decided to just bite the bullet. Budget is now at €7k or less. Finance isnt really an option but I will be keeping it even though a temporary move abroad is likely. Herselfs 1 series will be let go and we want to keep a car at home to keep insurance open. There are always people coming home from England needing a car during the year so it will be used sporadically when we are away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-2008-msport-coupe/20113944

I like this but it is very far away to go look at, anybody know it or be near it for a look?
    EDIT - it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S60/S80 5cyl diesel (2.0)?
    I’m keeping an eye on them and the S60 has become a lot more affordable lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ok, she is now actually dying. It's pissing oil, coolant and has a serious enough leak from the steering rack. Passing the NCT is not going to happen. I have a week of next week and have decided to just bite the bullet. Budget is now at €7k or less. Finance isnt really an option but I will be keeping it even though a temporary move abroad is likely. Herselfs 1 series will be let go and we want to keep a car at home to keep insurance open. There are always people coming home from England needing a car during the year so it will be used sporadically when we are away.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-2008-msport-coupe/20113944

I like this but it is very far away to go look at, anybody know it or be near it for a look?
    Go And arrange see it tonight , looks like value and the distance will put loads of others off, northern seller mightn't realise and irish 08 is worth a lot more than an 07 for tax reasons .

Bigus wrote: »
    Go And arrange see it tonight , looks like value and the distance will put loads of others off, northern seller mightn't realise and irish 08 is worth a lot more than an 07 for tax reasons .

I'm in Limerick city and up the walls this week in work until Thursday at least.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    S60/S80 5cyl diesel (2.0)?
    I’m keeping an eye on them and the S60 has become a lot more affordable lately.

I drove a 141 S60 during the summer when this thought process started and found it very underwhelming. It felt like a step down in interior quality and comfort compared with the older model S60. Also looked at a V40 which was the most claustrophbic car I'd ever driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Since you're the Junior Bond...

266px-Aston_Martin_Cygnet_%2882%29.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This looks tidy Mr Bond and I'm sure there is wiggle room in the price, it's got the older M47 engine so no timing chain problems on them. Just make sure the turbo breather filter is replaced every second oil change and the intake manifold swirl flaps are replaced with blanks:

MWM4YjY3MzJlNjljZDcxOThkODIzYzA2YjhkODZhZGRiET0HLLgCalRrT2nRLIFEaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDkzNzAyNTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-bmw-320d-m-sport-full-leather163bhp/19869106

Or this LCI model with the optional iDrive. A remap would get that up to 320d figures. Just find out about the timing chain as it's a problem with those N47 engines.

MGZiY2IxMDViOGNkNjMxNzgwZDZiYWQ2Y2ZjN2UwOTGQhonaKglWCclvOvxf06BDaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDk3NzY4NDZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318d-m-sport/19797009

Thanks Bazz, I am inclined to go 320d again. I had an 08 way back when and it was still on its original chain at 170k miles. I sold it locally and met it again last year with the same owner. I don't think they are as bad as people think and often they have had chains replaced at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The facelift looks way better even for the alloys alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Get a cheap run about and insure to keep your no claims. Otherwise your ncb drops to zero after 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

MDY5-NGMz-MTk5-Y2-Jj-YTE0-M2-Qx-Yjhm-Yj-Mw-YTkz-Yz-Bl-MDWSICPOSdcx-Bef9vm-Dzysb-X.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-3-series-m-tech-sport-coupe-diesel-nct-5-19/18995466

Something older cheaper but quite nice all the same?
    Asking €1795 from a dealer with test till may 19.
    looks very clean apart from the slight blemish on the drivers side rear arch.

I'd be weary of over spending on a car considering you'll only be using it for the year before going away.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Can't fault a Sligo reg, if I do say so myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Tom Hardly

If it were me and I liked driving the Volvo I'd be tempted to get a quote on how much to do the work and to have it nice.

They're generally strong reliable cars really and should see 200k miles.

Anything you're talking about buying is also going to potentially need money spent on it.

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Lantus wrote: »
    Get a cheap run about and insure to keep your no claims. Otherwise your ncb drops to zero after 12 months.

I was told 2 years by my Allianz

bidiots wrote: »
    I was told 2 years by my Allianz

Same as that. Lads I hear ye about fixing the Volvo but sometimes you just want a new car. I'll be home 3 months of the year in all so I'll need something at home either way. New budget is €6.5k.

I let my S80 go recently. Miss it but it was beginning to cost too much. Volvo bills are more than average im afraid, never mind the tax!

bidiots wrote: »
    I let my S80 go recently. Miss it but it was beginning to cost too much. Volvo bills are more than average im afraid, never mind the tax!

I don't think people realise how dear a volvo is to keep maintained. I changed an engine mount a year ago at 120 plus labour and it's beginning to bang again. It just feels like that I am constantly putting €200 into it at a time just to keep her going. €3500 is the bill to keep going on tax and fuel until July alone. That's before I put the envitable €2k in maintenance in on the stuff I know of.

I don't think people realise how dear a volvo is to keep maintained. I changed an engine mount a year ago at 120 plus labour and it's beginning to bang again. It just feels like that I am constantly putting €200 into it at a time just to keep her going. €3500 is the bill to keep going on tax and fuel until July alone. That's before I put the envitable €2k in maintenance in on the stuff I know of.

I hear ya...still miss it though

An update. It failed the NCT on tie rods and track rods and the exhaust needs a small weld as a support is loose. I don't think it warrants replacing the car to be fair, can't see myself spending more than €200 to get another cert.

Advertisement