Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time solo traveller, suggest a holiday :)

Options
  • 24-09-2018 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

So I’ve decided to take a week off work and go away by myself for a week.

I’ve not done it before, I’m mid 30’s single and just looking for somewhere to chill. A nice hotel with a gym, spa and ideally close to the beach

I’ve a decent budget, I would love somewhere in Asia! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Honestly I'd look a bit closer to home as a week is really tight especially if you're thinking about going to Asia, you'd lose a day travelling and then another day for jet lag so would you consider somewhere like Spain or Portugal or even Morocco?

Myself and the better half are off to Malta in about a month, weather should still be warm. We plan to do a lot of exploring and drinking Maltese wine and beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

For what you are looking for I would suggest the Canaries. No sense in getting a 10-12 hour flight to Asia if what you are looking for is decent weather, nice hotel and somewhere close to the beach.

Tenerife has all of this on the south side of the island, while the north (worse weather) and west have plenty of lovely places to explore if that is your thing.

Personally, I can't stand beach holidays but I loved the north of the island. Mt. Teide is also spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I'd recommend Lisbon, just back from a 6 day break there, 3 of which were on my own and I loved it. Great city to hang out in and you have a number of beaches just a short train ride away . Can't recommend a hotel as I did Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I'd recommend Lisbon, just back from a 6 day break there, 3 of which were on my own and I loved it. Great city to hang out in and you have a number of beaches just a short train ride away . Can't recommend a hotel as I did Airbnb.

Lisbon is brilliant. I stayed in the hotel Restauradores near the tram elevator yolk (I think there are more than one) and it was nice (not 5 stars but modern and comfortable). Best thing is that there are lovely beaches and towns just 20 minutes away from the centre on the train, and then loads of history, castles and stuff. Great food markets. Then the old town is great for going out at night. Cheap enough too.

Really want to go to Porto next.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Sheedy234

Cleopatra hotel playa de las Americas, beach right outside the door, lovely pool has a gym great location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Decent budget and I'd be off to the South of France. Fly into Nice and base yourself there, plenty of towns on the trainline on the coast to keep you occupied.

Nice itself, juan le pins, monaco, grasse, ventamiglia (sp), cannes, villefranche.

All within an hour or so of nice on the train and a 7 mile beach in Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

theballz wrote: »
    So I’ve decided to take a week off work and go away by myself for a week.

I’ve not done it before, I’m mid 30’s single and just looking for somewhere to chill. A nice hotel with a gym, spa and ideally close to the beach

I’ve a decent budget, I would love somewhere in Asia! Any suggestions?

If you're set on Asia - I'd recommend Hong Kong, not necessarily a chill zone but great.

Somewhere closer - would you consider Dubai? direct 8 hour flight, nice hotels, weather and food. expensive but might tick the boxes.

Advertisement