Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second-hand bikes in Dublin

Options
  • 24-09-2018 11:59pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi. After many years from my cycling days I have regained the cycling bug and whilst abroad on holidays did a lot of cycling and really enjoyed it.

I'm now giving serious consideration to buying a bicycle back home in Dublin and was wondering where I could buy a second hand bicycle - a men's mountain bike or racer -a nd how much a 2nd hand bike in good condition would cost?

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

JupiterKid wrote: »

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction!

sure --> here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved from Motors buying forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

People seem to ask crazy prices for used bikes on adverts many of them are in poor condition. Hard to find a deal. Often it's not much more orb cheaper just to buy new especially if you a cycle to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cycle Superstore have a reasonable collection of used bikes of all types and condition
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=1#usedbikes

At least you can be sure enough that they've done the background check on if they're stolen etc.

Here's their listings
    http://usedbikes.ie/bicycle/user/profile?user_id=64

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Harry's advertise they buy and sell second hand bikes, and I think Belfield bikes does too. No idea of the quality. The belfield bikes guys seemed sound on the Mick Byrne (at least I think that's where they were from). Harry's is effectively my LBS and I've had no issues, but that's just been new bikes and servicing rather than second hand.

I'd consider the lower end boardman's perhaps in Halfords. I'm reluctant to say the carrera's, but in fairness to the one I got just starting off, I only turned it into a permenant turbo bike this summer, after 6 or 7 years as first my only "road" bike (then as my commuter, then as just dumped in the shed). Still going strong, and is still a step up from a true bike shaped object (I had a couple before then!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

beauf wrote: »
    People seem to ask crazy prices for used bikes on adverts many of them are in poor condition. Hard to find a deal. Often it's not much more orb cheaper just to buy new especially if you a cycle to work scheme.
    That's true, but it can be a good idea to spend a bit of time on a cheap bike to get to know what you like or don't like before making a five year decision on the BTW scheme.

Advertisement